Thread: Peltasts and their magical javelins

Default Peltasts and their magical javelins

During a siege against the Thracians today, I encountered a pair of peltasts (a single unit with two men remaining after my archers killed the rest of their unit) with a seemingly unlimited supply of javelins.

I do not play in Arcade mode and I checked the unit file for greek peltasts to confirm that they should only have thrown 6. However, they stood and hurled at least thirty of them before the novelty wore off and I sent my cavalry to slaughter them.

Note that they hadn't thrown a single javelin before being reduced to 2 men.

Does a unit pool its ammunition together such that when one man dies the others get to fire his remaining arrows, javelins, spoons, etc? I don't recall ever reading that this is the case, nor have I ever noticed it with my own units.

Default Re: Peltasts and their magical javelins

It shouldnt do as I thought the game tracked each soldier individually. Looks like you may have stumbled across the "gather weapons and ammo" feature
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
    -Voltaire-

Cry Havoc and let slip the FERRETS OF WAR!

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Were you taking casualities from towers?

Also javelins are shared in a sense. If the unit had a captain with it that would possibly add 6 javelins. That leaves 9 each to be thrown since the captain can't thow.

Also there is the animation to throw but they don't.

Occasionally I get units that have done over a dozen animations but no javelins were released or only a few. What quite often happens is they go through the animation the unit then moves out of range or they are forced to skirmish.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    Were you taking casualities from towers?

Also javelins are shared in a sense. If the unit had a captain with it that would possibly add 6 javelins. That leaves 9 each to be thrown since the captain can't thow.

Also there is the animation to throw but they don't.

Occasionally I get units that have done over a dozen animations but no javelins were released or only a few. What quite often happens is they go through the animation the unit then moves out of range or they are forced to skirmish.
    Or only some in the unit throw, and the others don't, I believe. That's happened to my own units. I believe it's only possible for skrimishers but not for archers and slingers. Not sure though.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

The ammunition is certainly pooled. The simplest of tests will show this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Moore
    The ammunition is certainly pooled. The simplest of tests will show this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    Certain? Well if that is the case it is another situation of a stepback. In STW the units pooled their ranged weapons until the MI expansion, the fix was kept for MTW, and now it seems it is returned to an early STW state. Brilliant.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

It is pooled. When you have ranged units who have expended some ammo and then they have taken casualties, you will find the survivors have more ammo than before they lost some compatriots.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

IMDHO

Pooled is better it more accurately reflects real life sharing of ammo.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Are you sure about pooling? I always thought ammo was pooled between living soldiers but when a soldier died the unit would lose AMMO/UNIT_SIZE arrows/javelins etc. Then again, I don't let the enemy missile troops survive that long and I don't let my own missile troops take many casualties...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    IMDHO

Pooled is better it more accurately reflects real life sharing of ammo.
    It is accurate enough if the unit stays in place, but if it has been running around suffering losses all over the place, then it is not a good reflection. How could a veles grab leftover javelins if all his friends lie dead 200 meters away? And it isn't as if he could carry that many more javelins in the first place.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!