Thread: protectorates: ?????

Default protectorates: ?????

What the hell are protectorates for and give me one good reason why I shouldn't liquidate or enslave the people instead. I don't know if someone dealt with this topic before...haven't checked.

Default Re: protectorates: ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    What the hell are protectorates for and give me one good reason why I shouldn't liquidate or enslave the people instead. I don't know if someone dealt with this topic before...haven't checked.
    1.All the money in the targets coffers when you secure protected status
    2.Large tribute each turn that they are your protectorate
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I suppose the level of tribute is directly related to how much money that province is making?

I'm trying to think of who i had under my "benevolent protection" the longest. But even with 1 or 2 provinces that are only built up to a medium level, the amount was still in the 4 or 5 figure range.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

They contribute to your total number of regions controlled. Good for far away regions, which requrie to much effort to keep happy.

I thought they were a pointless, buggy "feature" of the game.

Okay, so far away provinces make into your protectorate, closer to home just exterminate. gotcha

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Become a protectorates

This is the other side of the medal: becoming a protectorate. I never had an offer before playing Scythia. Here three factions offered me to become their protectorate:

1. Parthians: They attacked me and offered prot. I refused, and they made peace.

2. Macedonian: I was in war with Dacia and they invated and besieged Tylis. I rushed with my army south, but they offered me prot and I accepted for 2,000 denarii and anual fee of 500. So I drove my army back to Dacia and bought some nice things with the money. The very next turn they attacked again. My army run south again and teaches the Macs a lesson about 'walk the talk".

3. While my punitive expedition against Mac the Brutii came and besieged my new town Thessalonica. The next turn they offered prot. I accepted to the usual conditions. They did not attack me since. However, they made peace with Mac. How do they think they will protect me??

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Protectorates are a bit of waste of time and money. Often they only except if you give them loads of provinces (once playing the julii i had to give all of greece and half of asia minor, a lump sum of 15 000 and 1000 a turn).
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Ok, something really wierd just happened. Playing as Scythia, I offered the Germans a ceasefire and they replied with the "End the fighting? This is a good joke..." response. Then I demanded they became my protectorate and they accepted for nothing. i have a protectorate and I didn't offer them anything.

So I have to ask, can your protectorate attack you? Otherwise, I will bring my army away from up in Germania and I'll smash the Dacians into next week. Thanks for any help.

Answers needed ASAP
    Last edited by Craterus; 04-30-2005 at 14:06. Reason: help

i myself have like 5 protectorates or so who barely asked for nething, maybe a couple thousand denarii but that is it. I recive like 30k a turn just from tributes. Im the selucids and have counquered most of the middle east and headin on to greece and africa.

Don't worry, I attacked Dacia and Germania stopped being my protectorate. I don't think it means anything but it gave me the chance to regain my position for their next attack. I'm thankful I didn't pull that army back down to Scythii.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Protectorates are a bit of waste of time and money. Often they only except if you give them loads of provinces (once playing the julii i had to give all of greece and half of asia minor, a lump sum of 15 000 and 1000 a turn).
    playing RTR,
    well in my campain as the romans , I have taken north africa ( carthage Thapsus and 2 other prvinces near carthage ) and beaten cartheginian army's time after time.
    so I thought I would make the my protectorate, I asked them, the said they would I f I gave them all their provinces back, no way.
    Then I asked them; become protectorate for 100 k , they accepted.
    And a good thing is that carthage has no allies which I could attrack ( thereby ending our , supposed unconditional alliance )
    so this is good, now I don't have to march to west africa to mop them up.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Ok, something really wierd just happened. Playing as Scythia, I offered the Germans a ceasefire and they replied with the "End the fighting? This is a good joke..." response. Then I demanded they became my protectorate and they accepted for nothing. i have a protectorate and I didn't offer them anything.

So I have to ask, can your protectorate attack you? Otherwise, I will bring my army away from up in Germania and I'll smash the Dacians into next week. Thanks for any help.

Answers needed ASAP
    I don't think protectorates can attack you, but they often tend to end being protectorates if you attack their former allies etc.

BTW, wanna here something even more weird: often when AI factions ask for a ceasefire they give a proposal like: ceasefire, give us x denarii. Well, if you choose "make counterproposal" and choose: ceasefire and press ok, then the AI factions often reply: "End the fighting? This is a good joke..." etc. I thought that's quite weird - first asking for a ceasefire then when I change the terms they say that ceasefire is a good joke. lol!
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Don't mess with the Beef, FOOL Member Beefy's Avatar

I never bother with protectorates. i did it once though, i reduced spain to 1 settelment and they become a protectorate of me with out anything in return. i got loads of money of them, then killed em!
    The Vandal Horde RTW Clan looking for new members!

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

yeah , you could do that beefy

however getting a protactorate is a good and smart thing, I mean as the Romans why would you want to pursue Parthia to their last provinces ?
    And then get all those unhappy distance from capital penalties, nah.
    Make em your protectorate

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD