Thread: a question about siege towers

Default a question about siege towers

I was recently assaulting a stone wall city and when my siege towers reached the wall and my troops stepped out, they all fell down in between the wall and the siege tower ramp!!! I was focusing somewhere else, all of a sudden I saw my assaulting cohort's men drop rapidly, I look over and I couldn't even spot the dead bodies until I looked INSIDE the wall. Can someone tell me why this happens? I lost 2 praetorian and 2 urban cohorts like that.

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

Default Re: a question about siege towers

Can happen. It happened to me once that I sent a few siege towers to a Roman stone wall, and when the siege towers finally arrived at the spot I clicked them to go to, the units just stood there and didn't move. They were massacred by the tower archers I was very -ahem- disappointed.
    Most of the times they do what they are supposed to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    I was recently assaulting a stone wall city and when my siege towers reached the wall and my troops stepped out, they all fell down in between the wall and the siege tower ramp!!! I was focusing somewhere else, all of a sudden I saw my assaulting cohort's men drop rapidly, I look over and I couldn't even spot the dead bodies until I looked INSIDE the wall. Can someone tell me why this happens? I lost 2 praetorian and 2 urban cohorts like that.
    Blame the engineer, probably made the siege tower poorly.

the engineers are slowly roasting over a low flame right now....

Anyhow, I figured out how to get around that. When the siege tower ramp opens, you need to run your unit onto the wall to a point not directly adjacent to the ramp, and the men will run off the ramp instead of falling down. This won't work if there's an enemy unit on the wall blocking your path though.

You know I've never had that particular, um, quirk of RTW rear it's head in any of the sieges I've played.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

same here, i say. I always used siege towers to face off unit-guarded walls. Never needed to waste the build point to make a siege tower just so i could use it on unguarded segments--had ladders for that.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004