Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Game Dialogue

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Best Game Dialogue

My two favorites:

Star Fox 64

There is just so much out there. I won't even bother posting any. If you have played, you will know what I am talking about. If you haven't played it, you won't appreciate the highly corny chatter. Dialogue was actually phsyically half of the game (memory-wise).

Star Craft

Just keep clicking on a unit over and over to hear them get increasinly annoyed! Great fun, though only the Terrans are interesting.

What other games have interesting/funny/corny dialogue?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Best Game Dialogue

Warcraft III (also made by Blizzard, obviously)
    Click the human sorceresses over and over again.
    "Click me, baby, one more time..."
    "For the end of the world spell, press Ctrl, Alt, Delete."

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

The bomb-throwing dwarves in Myth II were pretty funny.

The line "I think you're a thief because you stole my heart" from Morrowind had me crackin' up (it was a guy saying it to a guy).

I liked Cespanar the imp in the Baldur's Gate II expansion. A devil after mine own heart.

The dialogue engine in Planescape Torment was impressively applied, resulting in very complex conversations that could take the game in many different directions depending on what you said or how you answered.

The little Covenant grunts in Halo and Halo II crack me up. I like the way the Elites talk shyte too.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Fallout II
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Fallout II
    'Nuff said.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Personaly I like it when the mongols say,

the enemy general is dead,
    Let us use his skull as a drinking cup.

"ShogunTw MI/WE"

Planescape: Torment. Dialogue made that game.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Vampire Bloodlines: the Masquerade
    Especially as a Malkavian.

I second SC, WCIII and NWN:HotU.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Yep, Malkavian Dialogue in Vampires: The Masquarde by a long long long long long long long shot. Also, coupling it with the best voice acting ever in a game didn't hurt.
    Viva La Rasa!!!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Another vote for Vampires. Being a Malkavian is the highlight - for example, when the news announcer on the TV talks to you, it goes something like "Police today found a dead body in San Diego. They say they are looking for a suspect and they know it was you". Also, Jack's opening spiel in the tutorial made me realise straight away I was playing something special, Fat Larry's first lines cracked me up and some of the female characters are more proficient at flirting than any pixels have a right to be.

However, although it is monologue rather than dialogue, I would put in a word for the audio logs in System Shock 2. They tell a horror story so economically and vividly, finding the logs becomes more rewarding than the usual power-ups and goodies you root around for in RPGs.

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 + Throne of Bhaal, perfect just perfect...

Specially when Edwin the Red Wizard and Minsc was in your party!
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    My two favorites:

Star Fox 64

There is just so much out there. I won't even bother posting any. If you have played, you will know what I am talking about. If you haven't played it, you won't appreciate the highly corny chatter. Dialogue was actually phsyically half of the game (memory-wise).

i hated the Star Fox 64 dialogue. because it was all babyish and stupid. as was the whole game. it didn't have the mature, gritty, scary feel to it that the original Star Fox had

ie: at the end of the game Andross says something like: "only i have the brains to rule the land" and then he turns into a giant pre-school cartoon brain . although the tone of the game is babyish right from start to finish; not just at the ending.

as for best dialogue: i'd have to rate Nocturne as having some of the very best dialogue ever. some extremely clever writing and immaculate delivery by the voice-actors in that one.

likewise for Mafia

Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption had some great voice-acting in it although i felt the dialogue kinda of started to decrease a lot in quality once Christof got turned. then it mostly just became about throwing in as much silly jargon as possible to appease the Pen and Paper game players.

Betrayal at Krondor has the best-written dialogue i've ever seen in any game, but i'm not sure if that counts for this thread because it's all presented in text format instead of voice-acting

Star Control 2, of course. Quite simply the best space adventure ever.

You can download the Ur-Quan Masters remake for free at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/. Don't let the 0.3a state scare you, it's entirely playable from start to finish.

Every game Black Isle ever made.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

JC vs Helios in Deus ex

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

The dialogue in the Splinter Cell games is pretty good.

When Sam Fisher grabs a guard from behind and holds a knife to his throat:

Guard: "Who are you?"

Sam: "I'm the monster in the closet."
    Unto each good man a good dog

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Mafia had awesome dialog. This game was a film (and a good film) in terms of its character interaction and development. I actually cared what happened to the people in it.

MGS series has some pretty good dialog but is let down slightly by the 'sillier' moments.
    President Johnson: *grabs your crotch* you're, you're a man?

My favorite would have to be Grim Fandango though. This was classy, witty and very very noir.
    Manny: "But you don't have any tendons."
    Ballon Twister: "Yeah well you don't have a tongue, but that doesn't seem to shut you up now does it?"

Manny: "Run, you pigeons! It's Robert Frost!"

Manny: "I bet Hector pauses here every day, and thinks to himself, 'Boy, I wish I could see past my gut and enjoy my expensive monogrammed floor.' "
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Nav, you completely missed why I liked the dialogue so much.

Because it was so bad.

And I was about 10 at the time when 64 came out, and I never played the original. I still find the dialogue amusing in its corny glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Khalifah
    My favorite would have to be Grim Fandango though. This was classy, witty and very very noir.
    I agree, Grim Fandango has some of the funniest dialogue seem in a game. Although I haven't played them, the Monkey Island series are meant to be very funny as well.

I also thought Max Payne 2 had some gritty dialogue that went well with the tone of the game.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup, Max PAyne 2 has some great lines. "The things that I want, by Max Payne" is one clear example.

Or Vlad's lines. They are just great.

Other than that, I'd have to say Monkey Island 2,3 has some great dialogue as well as Bloodlines.

About Bloodlines have you guys realized that everytime the prince says: "I dont want a massacre on this mission", thats exactly what happens...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

About Bloodlines have you guys realized that everytime the prince says: "I dont want a massacre on this mission", thats exactly what happens...

Never killed one on those missions. The museum needs some reloads though to turn off those blasted security cameras, would be almost impossible without the buggy guard (he should see you but he don't most of the time, by some reason. Not that I'm complaining ).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside

Never killed one on those missions. The museum needs some reloads though to turn off those blasted security cameras, would be almost impossible without the buggy guard (he should see you but he don't most of the time, by some reason. Not that I'm complaining ).

Hmmm...alright.... I'll have to revise my methods, then....
    How did you manage not to kill anyone on the Elizabeth Dane mission?

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    If you sneak, you can find ways to bypass the guards by climbing up containers and jumping down again. Sometimes I got spotted trying to get out, but by that stage if you just leg it, you can avoid killing or being killed.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Hmmm...alright.... I'll have to revise my methods, then....
    Well, there's a stupid police that thinks that you're a reporter at the beginning of the mission... If you miss that it's quite a bit harder (it's a pushover with the police help).

My nosferatu (the police didn't like his look ) didn't kill anyone but I would think that there was quite a few stories about an monstreous humanoid resistant to bullets afterwards (too low obfuscate at the time). Without obfuscate you'll need to take ALOT of damage though. Simon is correct on the best method.

Although it would be the same at the museum for most chars. Getting through the museum without getting shot at, at any time is VERY, VERY hard. Luckily you'll still get those bonus points
    Last edited by Ironside; 04-25-2005 at 21:42.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    If you sneak, you can find ways to bypass the guards by climbing up containers and jumping down again. Sometimes I got spotted trying to get out, but by that stage if you just leg it, you can avoid killing or being killed.

I know, but I just shot/dominated/used potency-celerity combination - thm back instead... Ah well. Thats the prince´s fault for mentioning the "massacre" thing.

Although it would be the same at the museum for most chars. Getting through the museum without getting shot at, at any time is VERY, VERY hard. Luckily you'll still get those bonus points
    Actually it was easier with the museum for some reason (maybe too much Splinter Cell )...
    Last edited by SwordsMaster; 04-25-2005 at 21:55.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon..

A simply but brilliantly told story with excellent and (amazingly for a game) extremely well (voice) acted dialog...

Without meaning to spoil it for anyone, there is one scene where a character is scarificing themselve to save the others, it would not have been out of place in the best Hollywood blockbuster....

Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines has amazing voice acting and overall solid dialog.

Like all the Black Isle games too. They have great choices for the various conversation skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside

I had to kill one guard in the museum. The laser is bugged!

I'll pick The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (pc) for best "dialogue". Nothing beats the irritated, mad-like-hell prison guards cursing at you while you lurk behind cover. The game is really gritty and it is very well acted.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane
    Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon..

A simply but brilliantly told story with excellent and (amazingly for a game) extremely well (voice) acted dialog...

Without meaning to spoil it for anyone, there is one scene where a character is scarificing themselve to save the others, it would not have been out of place in the best Hollywood blockbuster....
    Any of the Broken Sword titles. Voice acting was extremely good with humour that actually makes you smile at times.

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast