Thread: Can't Build Grand Mosque?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Can't Build Grand Mosque?

I have a few provinces where I have everything I need, I think, to build a Grand Mosque yet it never shows up in the build queue. The only place I have been able to build one is Arabia. What am I doing wrong?

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Default Re: Can't Build Grand Mosque?

You're only allowed one grand mosque. Same goes for a cathedral if you're Catholic, and for a few of the other buildings. You can build a grand mosque in another location if you destroy the one in Arabia, though there's only one good reason to do so that I know of. If you're playing as the Turks you need a grand mosque as a prerequisite to the military academy, which you need to build janissaries. You can only have one grand mosque, but the same does not go for military academies, so you can build the mosque, then the academy, then destroy the mosque and build it elsewhere to get an academy there as well, so you can have multiple janissary farms.

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Forgot to give you a big thanks Ajax, that's what I was missing.

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Ajax, I have done that as you suggested, however, I can't help but see that as exploiting a flaw in the game. I think the designers saw that the JHI were too powerful and limiting them to one province for production, gives a little more balance to the game. They probably didn't expect people to build multiple academies.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt
    I think the designers saw that the JHI were too powerful and limiting them to one province for production, gives a little more balance to the game. They probably didn't expect people to build multiple academies.
    Oh, I think they know compulsive gamer behavior better than that . . . .
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Etym
    Oh, I think they know compulsive gamer behavior better than that . . . .

And if they didn't then; well, they certainly do now!

Although I myself haven't used that trick when playing as the Turks, it's certainly understandable. I don't play the Turks that often, but even I find it a tad frustrating that JHI can only be trained in one province. The fact that they're maybe a bit overpowered is more than balanced by the fact they don't become available until late in the game.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone