Thread: export_descr_unit.txt

Talking export_descr_unit.txt

okieeeeeeee...little problem with CTD from splash screen. i know i'm doing something wrong here. been tweaking unit "health (hp)" and "ammo" and "moral" and "unit crew"...what's a no-no concerning tweaking this file? i suppose i could do this step by step but i'd rather know ahead of time from the folks who've gone before: what's a definite "no-no" regarding tweaking things in this file?

much thanks.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: export_descr_unit.txt

Any small miskate in not getting the right spaces or adding a komma somewhere can result in CTDs, so it is impossible to tell you what you have done wrong. So I implore you to use show_err. Add 'show_err' to your shortcut (outside and with a space from the "" in the line). That should explain what you have done wrong.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

The 'show err' will tell you which file the error occurred in, and also tell you which line of the text tripped it up.

Ideally, though, I would test the changes one by one when I am updating something like this and get a CTD. As has also been noted, TINY errors in the text can mess things up. I once spent a whole afternoon tearing out my hair trying to fix a CTD that turned out to be a 'carriage return' on the end of a text file that shouldn't have been there. Thats when I found 'show-err' !!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

oh my good god, i didn't know THAT. eeeeeep! hmmm...well, i just reinstalled (yeah yea, n00b modder forgot to backup his export.txt)
    • i make FAQs ad nauseum for games i love, but i HATE reading the damn things myself. lol

bugger. it's not letting me have "4 soldiers" in wardogs section (just divided both crew numbers by 3)...can i modify unit numbers?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

There is a minimum of 6 soldiers per unit. and 2 dogs per handler.

That makes 12 dogs.

oooo, cheers!

Remember that you need to give your numbers of units like you are in Normal unit size. So for 160 on Huge, you would type 40, or for 6 on tiny, you would type 12.