Thread: Stick hard to learn?

Default Stick hard to learn?

This kinda goes with my new car thread, but I figured I could just make a seperate one for it. Are stick shifts(5 speeds) hard to learn to drive? All the mustangs I'm looking at are 5 speeds, and I really want a 5 speed....but I have no clue how to drive one, my dad said he could teach me, but from your guys personal experience are they hard to learn how to drive well?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stick hard to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1
    This kinda goes with my new car thread, but I figured I could just make a seperate one for it. Are stick shifts(5 speeds) hard to learn to drive? All the mustangs I'm looking at are 5 speeds, and I really want a 5 speed....but I have no clue how to drive one, my dad said he could teach me, but from your guys personal experience are they hard to learn how to drive well?

You REALLY can drive a car without knowing how to handle manual transmission? God, what a country...

No, it isnt hard, I can handle them with both hands even. The continental way and the english way.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

it isnīt hard and i find it one of the most fun things to control in a car...

it allways confused me how you guys can get a license without knowing how to do it
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

They give you a licence for a manual but let you take your test in an automatic? Weird.

Anyway, my wife drove an automatic for a long while and had to switch back to a manual when we got a new car. She had taken her test in a manual but she was gear-crunchin clutch-smoking rusty. What we did was book an hours lesson in a manual car for her. (or you could maybe hire a manual for the day. Set some other sucker's clutch on fire before trashing your nice new car...)

Seriously, its not that hard, and you just need to get out and practice, but the first few hours will be a bit tricky. Avoid busy roads. If your dad shows you stuff like balancing on the clutch and accelerator as you come uphill to an intersection it would speed you along. But basically all you need is hours behind the wheel.

The good news is manuals are much more fun to drive. In fact I'd say they are easier to drive well than an automatic, since you have more control over the car IMHO.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

can someone from America tell me are all your cars basicly Automatics?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

over here in the uk automatc cars arent very common,
    we all use manual "stick as youd say"

its not difficult But some may find it a lot to deal with,
    expeshialy when making an emergency stop.

But its not dificult,

Realy its just a matter of finding the biting point of the clutch,
    becous you dont have 3 feet you cant be on break throttle and clutch same time,
    so u use the clutches biting point to hold tha car in place "stops it rolling" put the car in gear
    gently give it some throttle and slowly let the clutch out.

If you stall "car splutters to a hault"
    You may be in the wrong gear or simply didnt give it enough throttle,
    remember to change gear before the car starts screaming at you.

cluch goes in change gear clutch comes out,

When aproaching a junctioon you can change down more than 1 gear at a time.
    I.e
    You were in 5th, Your slowing down to a junction,
    Whilst slowing down you put the clutch in
    change gear to 3rd Missing out 4th,
    and when you get to the junction your already in the correct gear,
    or you change down some miore.

Its just a matter of practice.
    and most imposrtaint thing to do Is find out where the biting point is.
    "it changes with difrent cars and with wear n tair on the clutch,
    You can feel the difrence with the peddal,
    Just go practice.
    Last edited by Shambles; 04-23-2005 at 22:01.

but from your guys personal experience are they hard to learn how to drive well?

As long as you have two legs that work it isn't that hard to learn , practice , especially on hills . Manual transmission is less problematic than auto , it gives you more control especially in bad weather , and you generally get lower fuel consumption .
    As an added bonus , if you decide to travel the world you find that many counrties will absolutely rip you off if you want to hire an Automatic .

ye my dads car is an automatic. I think manuels are probably more fun though. Im guesing as im a bit to young to drive yet.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well most of the cars sold in the USA are automatics, manuals account for a large part of cars sold and aren't losing market share to the autos.

Also, our driver's licenses are one kind only, i.e. they don't say if you can drive a manual. So, you could get your license while driving an auto, and later drive a stick for the first time in your life totally legally.

Learning for me wasn't very hard at all. It's easy to get the basics, and from then on its just a matter of practicing to refine your skills. I learned to drive a motorcycle before a stick, so that probably made it easier.

And manuals are a lot more fun to drive.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

In the US most vans seem to be automatic, but a lot of smaller cars or Subarus (4 wheel drive, powerful cars, perfect for New England winters) are manual. I think manuals are maintianing their own sphere of car types while automatics have their own sphere.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Standard transmissions are easy to master.

The only problem is if you like to drink coffee / chat on your cell / microwave burritos while driving.

I drive a 5 speed and when I talk on the cell I and have to shift its usually hilarious.

ichi

ps learn to use the hand brake on steep hills. When you are trying to get going when parked on a steep slope, set the hand brake, then put the car in gear with the clutch in, release the clutch while you give it gas and release the the hand brake. Saves trying to shift your left foot from brake to clutch.
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I drive a 5 speed and when I talk on the cell I and have to shift its usually hilarious.
    The trick is having your phone in your left rather than your right hand, so you control the wheel and change gears with the same hand.

ps learn to use the hand brake on steep hills. When you are trying to get going when parked on a steep slope, set the hand brake, then put the car in gear with the clutch in, release the clutch while you give it gas and release the the hand brake. Saves trying to shift your left foot from brake to clutch.
    Thats unnecessary. If you can hold the car still on 1st gear, release the brake pedal and hit the gas. Takes some practice though.

I learned to drive in a city that could be anything but flat, so you pick up these little tips.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Stick hard to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    Standard transmissions are easy to master.

The only problem is if you like to drink coffee / chat on your cell / microwave burritos while driving.

ichi

isnīt using the phone while driving ilegal over there?...it is here at least(unless you have a hands-free system)....and damn good thing it is...most people allready have their hands full with just the car...they donīt need another challenge
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Not hard to learn - but time-consuming. It takes practice.

My first car was a 1960 Renault Caravelle (stop snickering, you Yanks! ; it was a hunk of junk, BUT I was the only 16 year old in my school with his own name on a car title ). 3 gears, on the floor. I guess I drove it around my empty school parking lot 6-7 hours before I could shift my way up and down the gears without having to look at the shifter. Eventually, you can "feel" when it's time to shift, and where the 'sweet spot' of the clutch is (and that 'spot' is different in every car).

2 months ago, a guy here stole stuff from a shop, then ran to the parking lot & tried to car-jack a Nissan Sentra that was idling at the curb. He told the driver to "get out"; she did, the guy got in, fussed about for a moment, then got out, and said: "You drive; it's a stick!". Cops arrived and busted the guy.

I saw figures saying about 25% of new drivers in California know how to drive a manual.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

The trick is having your phone in your left rather than your right hand, so you control the wheel and change gears with the same hand.
    which works OK unless you're driving on a very curvy road and need to shift and steer simultaneously, or you are talking for a long time and the left side of your head starts to smoke from the microwave radiation.

Thats unnecessary. If you can hold the car still on 1st gear, release the brake pedal and hit the gas. Takes some practice though.
    there is usually more than one way to solve a problem, and individuals may prefer one method over another. Holding the car still on 1st gear can be bad for the clutch, so I prefer the handbrake method - seems so much more relaxed than switching pedals quickly.

isnīt using the phone while driving ilegal over there?...it is here at least(unless you have a hands-free system)....and damn good thing it is...most people allready have their hands full with just the car...they donīt need another challenge
    the other day I was driving on the freeway and as I passed a woman she wandered into my lane as she was applying her makeup.

Damn female drivers!!

In order to avoid her I had to put down my cell phone during an important call, I spilled my coffee and dropped my doughnut, AND I cut myself with my shaver which made me burn my upholstery when I lost my ciggy.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

It is illegal in New York, but once you cross the border to Vermont you can chat as much as you wish.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Well I tried it for bout 2 hours and it is pretty hard to get used to.....I got better after a while, but I was driving an old scout.....one of the first SUVs ever made, so I think the mustang will be easier to drive...with power steering and brakes.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Keep at it, its just practice. You'll be glad you did, those look like saucy cars you are thinking of getting.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag