Thread: Conqure a province with a single battle, is it fair?

I think that taking the province by one battle is not too accurate. Shouldn't the loosing side just retreat to another part of the province when they are defeated at one battle field in the province. Complete retreat from the whole province after loosing is just not fair on the loosers. They should be able to hold out at other part in one province.
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I think in some ways you might have a point, but looking at history one can see several examples of campaigns ending with the outcome of just one battle (Waterloo, Sekigahara, etc.) just was often as one can find the opposite.
    The point of the game system is that, ideally, by the end of the battle your opponent shouldn't have enough of an army left to put up any resistance. What good is hiding your small rag-tag leftover force of 40 men against the victorious, occupying army of over 300? Of course, it doesn't always work out this way.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Of course its fair, so long as it happens to both sides!

But I see your point. Its just a way of simplifying the game and ensuring that it doesn't take forever to finish. Plus it cuts down the number of battlefield maps required.

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Think about how long the game would take! Besides, after a while in the campaign I start to get bored after battle after battle.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

When you invade a province the AI sends troops from everywhere. On the opposite, when an AI clan invades one of your provinces, you don't have the chance to send reinforcements there before the battle. If you loose, many facilities are usually destroyed, and reconquer the land takes lots of resources.
    Your suggestion could be nice, since it allows you to send more troops next turn to defend without loosing the province at once, but the game could become endless.

I agree with Tenchimuyo that winning a province with just one battle while not necessarily historically accurate leaves the defender (and perhaps the attacker) with limited options for combat. Conversely I would like to see implemented an option for capitulation when the tide has turned against an AI opponent or against a human player, a kind of tipping the king as it were. This I think would add a smidgen more realism to the game rather than having to tiresomely conquer each and every province in Japan when all organised opposition is eliminated.

------------------
    To be happy it is necessary not to be too intelligent
    - Flaubert-

Not born, not destroyed,
    Not stained, not pure,
    Without loss, without gain.