Thread: SPQR: Total War v3.0 Released!!!

Default SPQR: Total War v3.0 Released!!!

Go here to download the newest version of SPQR Total War v3.0

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=28762

Sincerely,

Lt1956
    LT_1956 Creator of SPQR: Total War

SPQR:TW Mod forums

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: SPQR: Total War v3.0 Released!!!

No readme I can view before downloading a 91.5mb monster?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yeah pretty weird

We do not sow.

Its in the SPQR forum Pinned tp the top. says SPQR 3.0 readme. :-)

Lt

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

You should link it as well as the file itself, so people (like me) dont have to go searching for it :P

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Sounds neat. I'm going to download it tonight and give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

This Looks Interesting has some elements that go very in hand to what has been under discussion as of late. :)

Thank you for the Mod
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

SPQR has been around for a while now, Its a shame you never noticed it before. I think you'll like it, plus you can always edit something small you dont like for your own game.

Lt

Well, better late than never, I supose.

I am somehow cought myself in between Games, Involved in a large modding project for another game.

However every time a break is needed I am here, and that is one of the main reasons I haven't been very involved in modding for RTW and not been trying all of the fine mods you all have been making for RTW.

So, no shame really, I am glad to see this Mod :) And I am restarting a Campaign with it now!

Cheers lt1956,
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Alrighty,

Started a Scipii Campaign with SPQR. I like the new map :) [But I would have liked one that streches all the way to India]

Now questions:

1st - Is it normal that at the start of the Campaign 3 factions are declared dead and defeated? Thrace, Spain and another one?

2nd - Why do Romans only have 1 Temple to 1 God?

Scipii had the Srine to Neptune which gave access to the Corvus Quinquireme...did they lose that one? I tend to be Romes Naval Power when playing them because, well theya re the only faction with that unit and it gives them an advantage at Sea so I alway s make sure to clear the waters for the other Roman Factions to be able to accomplish their missions for rome, untill we go in to civil war which then use the well develloped fleets to render the enemy Roman factions poor and for the taking. Naval Power Superiority is a good tool, specially inthe mediteranean!

Do they still get that unit now with this Mod? [Let me Launch Hadrian/Caligula and see the changes here]

Thanks!
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Well, Adding the Temple of Naval (Neptune), to the Scipii.

Corvus Quinquireme and Deceres are being lost as it is since no Port Building Build them either.

On Second thought, may add this Temple to all of the Roman Factions, just to not break the new Balance established by SPQR.

Now back to the game...hehe :)

But please let me know if this was Intentional or simply missed.

I read that Arkani and Pigs were removed allong some other units, which is ok I guess, yet no mention of Corvus Quinquireme and Deceres, so I am assuming it was simply missed and as such should not cause problems if this temple is added for Romans I am surmising.

Thanks
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Because Jupiter, was the most important one of them all. Some say he is the only true roman god since they borrowed from a lot of other places. But I don't think he was so important to omit the others. Romans were very devout people and had gods for everything including the kitchen. When something bad happened or they lost a battle even when the signs pointed to good fortune, they believed an unknown god had been angered. They would then start praising this newly discovered god to appease him.

Unless there's a reason, it makes the romans seem monotheistic, which they weren't.

Exactly!

They were actually FAR very FAR from being Monotheistic, even by polytheist standards!

And since Romans were a Religiously Open people, there were actually temples to Isis and Ra, Anubis etc.. and other Egyptian Gods in Rome! But not limited to Egypt, Romans worshiped Gods from all over the known world.

Besides, Jupiter is the Latin for the Greek God Zeus, you can't have Jupiter without the other Gods of the Greek Pantheon!

Many of the Latin versions of the Greek Gods came to the Romans throught the Etruscans who themselves got them from the Greeks and later once in Greece from the Greeks themselves.

Zeus = Jupiter
    Poseidon = Neptune
    Artemis = Diana
    Aphrodite = Venus
    Hera = Juno
    Athena = Minerva
    Demeter = Ceres
    Hades = Pluto
    Apollon = Apollo
    Ares = Mars
    Eros = Cupid
    Hermes = Mercury
    Hephaestus = Vulcan
    Dionysos = Bachus
    Cronos = Saturn
    Hestia = Vesta
    Ouranos = Uranus

And then some!
    Last edited by Suraknar; 04-25-2005 at 08:21.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I've been playing SPQR mod with two modifications. I removed the walls on all cities except the 10 cities that start with stone walls: Utica, Carthage, Agrigentum, Syracuse, Rome, Corinth, Athens, Pella, Alexandria and Babylon to ease the loadgame problem. After 50 turns, restarted my Julii campaign with fatigue turned off because the AI's troops were always getting exhausted too soon in battle, and this also speeds up the end of the battle when one side is running away.

The best battle so far in my Julii campaign was when 3500 Gauls attacked a bridge held by 900 Romans + 600 reinforcements. I lost because the Gauls not only attacked the bridge, but also forded the river upstream. They were not abel to followup on this victory and take Messina because they suffered too many casualties.

After expanding Julii from 3 provinces to 12 by 253 BC, I went on the defensive on land and concentrated on defeating the Carhaginian navy. I was able to defeat it by 243 BC, and dealt a severe blow to Carthaginian military power since they lost about 7 full armies on ships that were sunk. Their military power dropped from 80,000 to 50,000 in those 10 years, and their production has been brought to a halt by my blockades. This has helped Scipii conquer nearly all of Sicily after being completely knocked out of there by 253 BC.

The downside of this for Julii is that Gaul and Britannia have become stronger than Carthage. Gaul's military power is 75,000 and Britannia is 85,000 while Julii is at 30,000. Egypt is also strong at 75,000. I play with FOW off, and have only saved the game twice so far. That's two saves in 54 turns.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

When you installed the mod the readme was installed in the RTW directory, It explains alot.

But to answer the two questions yet the three factions were removed to help carthage and the Greeks, its make them more powerful, plus Spain was never really an organized faction more of Rebel origin. main reaon was gameplay it make a BIG difference.

As for The temple Jupitor was considered the father of the gods to the romans like zeus. But the real reason is Growth bonuses etc have been removed for the reomans for Gameplay reasons and MOST temple where EXACTLY identical, just different names. It was better to use the temples as a building for Law and order etc. than silly bonuses that were so slight in difference to do almost nothing in SPQR.

Gameplay reasons for the one temple for romans. Sometimes game designers just add as many buildings as possible just to say what they have in the game and its really of no value.

Lt

When you installed the mod the readme was installed in the RTW directory, It explains alot.

But to answer the two questions yet the three factions were removed to help carthage and the Greeks, its make them more powerful, plus Spain was never really an organized faction more of Rebel origin. main reaon was gameplay it make a BIG difference.

As for The temple Jupitor was considered the father of the gods to the romans like zeus. But the real reason is Growth bonuses etc have been removed for the reomans for Gameplay reasons and MOST temple where EXACTLY identical, just different names. It was better to use the temples as a building for Law and order etc. than silly bonuses that were so slight in difference to do almost nothing in SPQR.

Gameplay reasons for the one temple for romans. Sometimes game designers just add as many buildings as possible just to say what they have in the game and its really of no value.

Lt

@LT :)

Gameplay decisions about the Temples, that, I can understand, yet, maybe in a subsequent version, somehow Deceres and Corvus Qinquiremes could be reintroduced, as they are not buildable as it is unless the Temples of Neptune are reintroduced via modding.

As for the Thacians and Spain, yes that is also Historically understandable :)

My Experience thus far is that this Mod is designed for Combat Combat Combat, it is intense, it has me runing around all over the place to say the least...which is an interesting alternative to the basic design.

The map is also what changes much, once used with the stock map, the tactical and strategical situation change radically with the added terrains and towns! Requires one to adapt and adapt quickly.

Finally, I really love the choice of Music here! Gives a more Military/Glory/Ambition touch to the atmosphere!

Thank you

@Puzz, I have not advanced much yet, coping with the new gameplay of it, but it would be something to expect with all the added economy from all the added provinces!

yet to be seen, if there is something that I observed by playing several campaigns is that events are different at every game, there is enough randomness.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Oh hrm, and just a Historical note,

The Father of most Gods was Saturn not Jupiter.

However, Saturn, himself son of Uranus and Gaia, was affraid that one of his children would dethrone him, and was eating them one by one.

Jupiter was hidden from him, and ironically, he came back and defeated Saturn and forced him to regurgitate his children, brothers and sisters of Jupiter.

For that feat Jupiter became their Leader.

Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Well, I am having a good time so far with this :)

Just a final question thought for future reference, how do we uninstall it? Or, does it require a reinstall of the stock game?
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

No one has released and uninstaller for it yet, You should always back your Vanilla data folder up so you dont have to reinstall from disk,but as of now, you have to reinstall RTW.

Give the mod some time, unless you hate the mod when you start, you dont get to see what the mod has to offer until you play it a while. Also play custom battles see how the units are etc. Its the best way.

Lt

Thanks a lot, Lt!
    I've been playing 2.0 for a while, and am now playing 3.0
    The mod is great!

My current Pontus campaign is at 200 BC, and I've never played a campaign this far before
    I'm playing huge/M/VH as recommended...
    Those Romans sure put up a fight! I get my behind handed to me a lot now I'm up against their cohorts most of the time. Auto-resolving is definitely out!

Battles are far more interesting, the skins are good, the campaign is more challenging...
    All in all: big thumbs up!
    Sono Pazzi Questi Romani
    Paul Peru: Holier than thy bucket!

Oki Thanks :)

Now, I am still Playing SPQR, just wanted to make that clear ;)

Also, I have reduced the Build time for Ships, I gather it was raised to avoid the AI going crasy with Fleets...but when Playing Scipii...naval Power again is important, and usually get to clear the seas from AI...

Good way to limit AI is also prolongued Harbor Blockading...at least it worked well for mediterranean hegemony of the seas on my end.

Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"