Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I prevent Enemy diplomats bribing my cities?

A Barbarian Mercenary Member unseen11's Avatar

Default How do I prevent Enemy diplomats bribing my cities?

These Brutii diplomats keep bribing my cities and it is getting rather tedious to keep on having to take them back, I thought having a spy in a city would stop any bribing from going on but it doesn't. So is there any sure fire way of keeping these cowardly romans from continuously bribing my settlements?

Default Re: How do I prevent Enemy diplomats bribing my cities?

ASSasinate their ASSes.

Revolting Peasant Member marcusbrutus's Avatar

Yes, assassins are the best policy here, have a few diplomats around the world so you can talk to other factions and murder with extreme prejudice any diplomats that come near your armies or cities.
    "Semper in Mira. Solum Profundum Variat."
    - Geoff Lee, One Spring (2002)

"Game graphics are like bikinis - it's not about what you show, it's about what you leave to the imagination."
    marcusbrutus

You need really experienced assassins though because Diploamts have bodyguards. An unexperienced assassin trying to kill a diplomat is 3% chance of success. I lost my best assassin ever to a Scipii diplomat..

sorry I should of mentioned that I was hoping for a quicker solution then assasination since I don't have the time to train up assasins.

Keep a diplomat by your cities and try to intercept them. That sometimes works and they just speak to your diplomat rather than talking to the city, but as your dealing sneaky Romans, I doubt this will work.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

try to make the city more expensive AI factions mostley don't have much money.
    or assasinate
    or bribe them
    or add a general with the honest/spartan trait

We do not sow.

Or make the governor in the cities they are tryng to bribe, make him the faction heir. Heirs are unbribeable.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yeah but a bit tricky, the former faction heir will get traits, and when yuo re-assign him the other former heir will get the traits.

We do not sow.

I'm guessing this is late-campaign so it doesn't really matter about your faction leader/heir because you have loads of generals by this stage.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

You could always go into your data folder and turn bribing off.

But to make it more expensive, have a dipomat in the city, a spy and a general. But if the A.I. has more than 100 grand in thier treasury, theres not much stopping them. They'll even bribe your capital out from under you with that much money.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    You could always go into your data folder and turn bribing off.

But to make it more expensive, have a dipomat in the city, a spy and a general. But if the A.I. has more than 100 grand in thier treasury, theres not much stopping them. They'll even bribe your capital out from under you with that much money.
    Really? Could I just have it so no one can bribe cities or can i only mod it so that bribing is impossible in all forms?

It's either on or it's off. So if you do'nt want cities bribed you'll have to live without the abilty to bribe troops.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

the best policy other than assassination is bribe the enemy diplomats. diplomats are cheap and you dont need to advance much up the tech tree to train them.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

my cities got bribed loadsa times before v1.2 so i grateful for RTW V1.2

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    It's either on or it's off. So if you do'nt want cities bribed you'll have to live without the abilty to bribe troops.
    True, but you can make it more difficult. Move the diplomat up to governors_palace instead of governors_villa. Or, move the diplomat to a different building. Either option should decrease the number of diplomats that get hired (especially by the barbarian factions).

Bh

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I birbe the diplmoats that are bribing my cities. I almost never use assassins, but I always keep several diplomats around.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

1.2 made bribing a lot more expensive, but still possible.

Keep a small mobile army ready to take back your city immediately - then the ai has no time to build a garrison, and they've just wasted 30k.

A leader in a city targeted for bribing can quickly gain "proven loyalties" and "trusty" traits making the city very expensive.
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

Do -you- get the 30k if they bribe your city away? The only cities I had bribed away were Thapsus and Carthage, as the Scipii, but it was annoying enough because a full-stack army went with the latter city. >.< I think the mobile arny idea is the most effective, if you're like me who believes generals should be used in the field because they are very efficient heavy cavalry. But if you're not, and believe generals should be used according to their best attributes, then well, some transfer of honest factioners to the frontier cities will be in order, as much time as it may take.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Barbarian of the north Member Magraev's Avatar

You don't get the bribe yourself unfortunately. That goes to the decieving garrison troops...
    Nope - no sig what so ever.

Bribery really sucks. I had Capua as the Armenians and it was bribed by an SPQR diplomat. It sucked for 2 reasons: first it was the only city I had in the Italian peninsula and I was planning on using it as a base for the conquest of the rest of Italia including Rome, and second I had a full stack of 3 golden cheverons Cat archers there that took me ages to get to that level. I miss my CA a lot more than that miserable Roman city.

3 gold chevron, nasty

Chevrons = valour.
    Valour = qualities of a hero..
    Qualities of a hero include honesty..
    And yet the sneaky cats were bribed.. tut tut

i hate web diplomates bribe ur cites that s y it good to send ur family there they ussualy keep it safe
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Not if your family members are dishonest ********!!

Sigh... gold chevron CA are a big loss... Oh well. My condolences, but life must go on :-P Let's just rest easy in the knowledge that Rome will be massacred when we get to them...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen11
    These Brutii diplomats keep bribing my cities and it is getting rather tedious to keep on having to take them back, I thought having a spy in a city would stop any bribing from going on but it doesn't. So is there any sure fire way of keeping these cowardly romans from continuously bribing my settlements?
    Always keep a spy in every settlement. I´ve never lost a city to bribery while having a stationary spy there. Later on I tend to have one spy, one diplomat and one assasin in every settlement. I also have them with all my armies. They really come handy when on a campaign. Don´t forget to pick them up agian when you leave a conquered settlement and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Always keep a spy in every settlement. I´ve never lost a city to bribery while having a stationary spy there. Later on I tend to have one spy, one diplomat and one assasin in every settlement. I also have them with all my armies. They really come handy when on a campaign. Don´t forget to pick them up agian when you leave a conquered settlement and move on.
    I am not so sure about that, I had 3 spies in Capua with my gold cheveron CAs. Still it was bribed . I am now adopting a new policy, I just bribe every diplomat, especially roman, that comes any where near my cities. The downside is I won't hear them begging me for a cease fire.

I'm all for the Shogun ways here. A failed bribe should = a chopped off head or at least allow you the option to return the enemy diplomat in a gift bag.

Ah yes anyone remember that good old video of a failed diplomatic mission.

I actually forget the video sequence but the end result was you saw your diplomats head (on a platter?) (in a gift bag?)

Maybe each clan had a different way of returning your emisary.

Bring back the chopping off of diplomats heads

Only if they made an insulting proposition.
    You should get spies' heads sent back on a pike, or in a bag. If they were caught.

I do agree with Oaty. Which insane commander would allow an unarmed diplomat and his small entourage of slaves, interpreters and foreign hostages to walk in to his army camp like he owned it, hear the diplomat say 'get off my land, i'll pay you whatever you ask', refuse the diplomat, and still let him walk out the camp alive, with the added risk of the diplomat reporting back to his bosses what he saw in the camp?

No realism there. Diplos become far too powerful without the risk of execution. It'd also make them not so much a throwaway i.e. you'd certainly have to pay far more attention to them than just to treat them like bribe machines, fire-and-forget. Adds a whole new level to the game, too :-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast