Thread: Coldplay

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Unhappy Coldplay

Does anyone actually like them ?

And more importantly: why ?

I mean, I like 'soft' rock music, but I really don't get what makes them so popular, Yellow was a decent song, Clocks was alright, The Scientist was good the first few listens, but what makes them the biggest new band around (or so it seems) ?

Note: I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm seriously wondering why people like them, i usually 'get' why bands are considered good, even if I don't agree with it, but Coldplay is just an enigma to me.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Default Re: Coldplay

well I do like some of their songs, Clocks, Yellow and so on.

But I prefer Third Eye Blind to Coldplay.
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

They aren't as popular in the UK as they were. Maybe it's just Europe going through the phase?

For some reson they depress me. they just do, really badly aswell.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Dude Clodplay is old! It's done. It was like 9 months ago that they were popular. I like their songs though. Waaaaaaaay better then those wankers from Keane.

i don't like them because the title of their first album makes me nauseous.

they woulda been smart to consider not using a title that would make some people nauseous.

since they sent a big "screw you" to me and all other people who find that sort of thing nauseating; and used that title despite knowing some people would be nauseated by it, i resent Coldplay and will not ever consider listening to their music.
    Last edited by Navaros; 04-24-2005 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros

they woulda been smart to consider not using a title that would make some people nauseous.

since they sent a big "screw you" to me and all other people who find that sort of thing nauseating; and used that title despite knowing some people would be nauseated by it, i resent Coldplay and will not ever consider listening to their music.

That afraid of heights ?

"Clocks" was an okay bit, but not really my bag. Even though I don't really pay much attention to things like the radio or music TV, Coldplay hasn't gotten airplay in ages over here. Funny how a European import would take time to catch on in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    That afraid of heights ?

no...i am nauseated by circulatory functions, though. not sure why. but many people are like that. i used to dread health class as a kid. it was quite literally torture for me. i always had to struggle to not barf whenever they were talking about the circulatory system and that sort of thing.

perhaps it was not their first album in which Coldplay committed this affront. if not, i apologize for being mistaken about that in the previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros

You take things way to personally you realise. Just about every title that exists could probably be found offensive to some, that's just the way the world is. What do you advocate?

Coldplay - Album 1
    Coldplay - Album 2
    Coldplay - Album 3 etc?

Oh but the name Coldplay may be offensive, so a better idea would be

Band #62349 - Album 1
    Band #62349 - Album 2
    Band #62349 - Album 3

There, nobody can get offended.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

My brother is fan of coldplay, I prefer keane!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    "Clocks" was an okay bit, but not really my bag. Even though I don't really pay much attention to things like the radio or music TV, Coldplay hasn't gotten airplay in ages over here. Funny how a European import would take time to catch on in Europe.
    No no, they were already big after their first album and certainly after their second one, it's just that with the third one coming out, I was wondering why anyone would feel the need for 3 coldplay albums, yet the 'media' seems to hype 'em up again.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

one word.....overrated
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    No no, they were already big after their first album and certainly after their second one, it's just that with the third one coming out, I was wondering why anyone would feel the need for 3 coldplay albums, yet the 'media' seems to hype 'em up again.
    Well, yeah. This stuff needs to be sold.

Maybe it's because they're a successful British band that has impressed somewhat around the world... If the media can hype em up, good for them, I won't be buying their Cd's because that's not my type of music.