Thread: Srcipting question: can it be done?

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Default Srcipting question: can it be done?

Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question:

for the Age of Hellas mod, we are considereing setting the start date to 480BC, and making Thermopylae the start of the campaign, what I want to know is, is it possible to script it to happen this way:

The persians have a huge army in greece, just north of thermopylae; the senate faction is represented by Leonidas, who starts with nothing but a small, elite army, just south of thermopylae. both armies are moved forward, and engage. If you are playing as certain factions (for example, sparta or athens), then you take control of the senate (leonidas') army for the battle of thermopylae, if you are the persians, you command the persian army, and if you are anyone else, the battle is not fought, but Leonidas is destroyed, and the persian invading persian army loses certain units, after this the script should end.

//

Now tell me if this can be scripted, or if not, what has to be changed for it to work.

Thanks.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Default Re: Srcipting question: can it be done?

Most of this sounds possible, but I have one area of concern - the obvious one - being able to take different sides in the battle or avoid it entirely. What you want is essentially a campaign script that goes IF you are the Spartans then spawn this battle, IF you are the Persians then spawn this different battle and IF you are anyone else don't spawn any battle.

Myrddraal will have a better idea of whether all this is possible within the same script. If it isn't though, then one way you can achieve it is by having different campaigns for the three different factions (Spartan, Persian, other) - this means you can run different starting campaign scripts and the rest of it is straightforward.

Having different campaigns would also allow you to slightly alter the descr_strat so as to weight it for or against the player, for example if player takes the Persians it may be more of a challenge if he has slightly less troops at Thermopylae as he'll no doubt use them more effectly than the AI.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 04-22-2005 at 21:22.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Myrddraal, you seem to know a lot of scripting, what do you think about this?
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

It should all be possible using if statements

Apart from one point
    I'm a bit concerned about several factions controlling one army. Think it may not be a problem if you use the control console command, but it may be a bit messy.

As ER said, if necessary make several versions of the same campaign.

Sorry about the brevity of this post, if you need more info I'll give it