Thread: An idea about aircraft

Default An idea about aircraft

Hi, new here and to modding so forgive me if this is a dumb idea, also sorry if this has been said before but I couldn't find it on a search. Anyway in order to get the effect of an aircraft strike couldn't you mod the onagers to look like signallers or something (perhaps with a land rover instead of the actual catapult) and then massively increase the range and power of the projectile while decreasing the amount of ammunition and if you make it so you can't see the projectile the effect would be an explosion on the building/unit you click on which would look as though the signallers had just called in air support and an aircraft had dropped a bomb on the target. It's quite a compromise but I think you could get a pretty good simulation of strategic and tactical bombing and by allowing each unit to have only a very limited amount of ammo it wouldn't become a wonder weapon that could just wipe out everything in its path. Would any of that be possible?

Like I said I'm new to modding and don't really have the skills to test this out or do any sort of modern total war mod but if anyone decides to develop on it I'd love to hear about the results.

Cheers.

PS - Sorry about the woeful lack of technical knowledge on my part

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Default Re: An idea about aircraft

Here was another idea about aircraft: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46343
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Yeah I saw that one but like the poster said it would involve making the rocks look like planes and so you would have hundreds of planes doing suicide runs. What I suggest is not seeing any planes at all but rather just having the effect of a bomb strike by modding out the rocks all together. Is it possible to do that?

EF2K has a good idea you must admit...

Also, HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF THE KAMAKAZIS!
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

Smelo tovarishchi v' nogu!

I like Bush...

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

I think that you could just make the rocks be transparent in the image files - so you would not even need to chagne the speed of the projectiles. THe range - you might want to increase.

the hardest part would probably be the catapults themsleves - since you would need a new model for them, and I am not sure how many modelers are interested in making catapults that call in air strikes.

//

So,yes, I think that it would be possible. If you want to do it, first figure out if rocks can be made invisible, and then some other stuff, but see if you can find any modellers who would make the unit for you, since they (modellers) are difficult to find.

Good luck!
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Thanks, I've got a long way to go before I can even attempt it though so if anyone does try it would be great if you could post about it. Well I've got to go and do a lot of learning.

PS - oh I've another idea if anyone's interested, if it is possible to make a model or part of a model transparent you could make a model of a helicopter and have a very thin, transparent pole type thing coming from the bottom of the helicopter to the ground so that in effect it would be just a very tall unit but would look as though it was a hovering helicopter. The problem being that it couldn't "fly" over any obstacles that ground units couldn't get over. If anyone can understand all that

lol by the time I've got the skills to do all this there'll be a modern total war out anyway.

having "observers" call in airstrikes is what some people did with a "close combat" game i used to pla that lacked air, having the little guy with the radio / scope was fun lol.