Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: superpowers?

Angry superpowers?

I am currently concluding a wonderful game with the Scipii. I have nearly taken the 50 settlements I need, but I haven't taken Rome because I wanted to wait 'till the Marius reforms (I always beat the game before they come).

The other Roman factions and I are all doing very well. We all have large ammounts of land are allied with the Selucids, the only non-roman superpower. They have taken all of Turkey and moved north and south. Between the Roman factions and Selucia (allies) we own all but 11 settlements and armies are going to take several of those. Besides us, only Scyathia, Armenia, and Britian are left. The point I'm trying to get at is that the Romans and Selucids are the only factions left with any military power whatsoever. This has never happened to me before on any faction.

These superpowers are actualy kind of annoying because I will soon have to go to war with either Selucia or the Romans because there is no where else to go. Either way, there will be a long costly war.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Default Re: superpowers?

That's probably for the better since at that point it will take no less than a superpower (or many of them at once) to prove any kind of challenge. If the other romans are close to 50 provinces then you should make sure that none of them grabs Rome before you though.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

That sounds like a great game - I must have played 30 campaigns and only once have I ever seen the Seleucids survive the Egyptian onslaught and expand. Such a waste of a cool faction.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

You've seen the Seleucids beat the Egyptians?? WOW! Did you help them out? If you didn't I am shocked, I didn't think they were capable, I thought the Egyptians steamrollered through Seleucids

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Try playing the major mods out there if you, like me, desires the Seleucids to be the superpower they actually were: the most powerful empire in the known world at the time. Most major/large mods really put their efforts into this particular case of Ptolemaic unhistorical/annoying success in crushing their supposedly superior neighbors, who, in history, successfully drove the Ptolemaic dynasty out of Palestine and Salamis, and even threaten, several times, with real possibility of success, to conquer Egypt. The Seleucid rise to power, albeit going through several huge setbacks, finally ended at Magnesia, by Rome's hand, who viewed them as the eastern superpower who was a serious threat.

In game it's just Ptolemaics beat out poor Seleucids, indeed, I would like you to post a screenshot about this campaign, if you really don't interfere in the early wars of the east when the Seleucids were often wiped out among the AI.

You may have seen me post this before but I'd really like it to be 50/50 in these wars. You know the wars you know will happen i.e. Carthage vs. Scipii, S.E vs. Egypt, Brutii vs. Macedon, Brutii vs. Greece, Julii vs. Gaul.

I think it'd be really good if these were unpredictable as to who would win. Apart from maybe Gaul vs. Julii because it was obvious who would win there, the Romans have better economy and men. Every campaign I start I begin waiting for the same "Faction Destroyed" messages as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    You may have seen me post this before but I'd really like it to be 50/50 in these wars. You know the wars you know will happen i.e. Carthage vs. Scipii, S.E vs. Egypt, Brutii vs. Macedon, Brutii vs. Greece, Julii vs. Gaul.

I think it'd be really good if these were unpredictable as to who would win. Apart from maybe Gaul vs. Julii because it was obvious who would win there, the Romans have better economy and men. Every campaign I start I begin waiting for the same "Faction Destroyed" messages as before.
    As I said, play the mods. Indeed, some sub-mods by fans of RTR built to further balance the game proves to be very useful in creating randomness, and solve the ridiculousness of the east. The Seleucids will be very, very powerful, for example, but will be surrounded with lots of enemies. This gives difference, since it may be the Seleucids or one of their many enemies who will rise in the east. Oh, and the Gauls were much stronger in some of those mods, as well. Strong enough to hold their own against the now-unified Rome, which plays less overpowering on other AIs, but no less dangerous as an enemy of the player. Carthage, too, proves to be a proper superpower it really was in 270 B.C. That makes Numidia soooo much fun to play for me. Every single little skirmish decides victory or death.

All this and other balance changes in those mods makes the game really more random than before, though not as random as the scale of MTW, where everybody was indeed 50/50. But still, it's much better.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Part of the reason for Egypt's strength is that chariots are so powerful in auto-calc (also the reason why the Britons seem to steamroller everything). And of course that the Seleucids are surrounded by enemies all wanting a piece of her rather than each other.

Luckily I have changed the game a bit so that not only are the Seleucids hanging on more than 30 years into the game, the others have even ended up going at each other (Pontus taking a bite out of Armenia, Egypt and Numidia fighting over Siwa, Greek Cities actually pushed out of Asia Minor by the Seleucids) and Carthage held back the Scipii for about 20 years (even going on the offensive, taking Syracuse from them) and now they are ripping Numidia a new one.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    Part of the reason for Egypt's strength is that chariots are so powerful in auto-calc (also the reason why the Britons seem to steamroller everything). And of course that the Seleucids are surrounded by enemies all wanting a piece of her rather than each other.

Luckily I have changed the game a bit so that not only are the Seleucids hanging on more than 30 years into the game, the others have even ended up going at each other (Pontus taking a bite out of Armenia, Egypt and Numidia fighting over Siwa, Greek Cities actually pushed out of Asia Minor by the Seleucids) and Carthage held back the Scipii for about 20 years (even going on the offensive, taking Syracuse from them) and now they are ripping Numidia a new one.
    Wow, you're a good modder yourself, Kraxis, especially in terms of mechanics. Ever thinking about going for real modding for the public?

By the way, your signature is one hilariously sharp sarcasm!

Well, in my game, Greeks have halted Brutii expansion majorly with help from the Dacians. Greeks and Dacians own all of Macedon's land between them. Primarily, the Greeks are on top but now, they have turned on each other and I'm expecting Brutii to step in and pick up pieces. Meanwhile, Pontus are ruling Asia Minor and even resisting Egypt. S.E. are down to Sardis and Seleucia. Carthage are putting up a moderate fight, have taken Spanish land and have even secured North Africa, this is definitely my most exciting campaign by 242 bc.

Regarding the fact that S.E. beat out Egypt: The two powers went to war with several full stacks each. Then everyone died. Then I went and took modern day egypt then went north along the coast to Sidon. So it was me that actualy took out the Egyptians, but not until S.E. wiped out their armies and took a few northern towns. Looking back on it, it would have been cool to see if S.E. could have actualy beaten Egypt on their own...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis

This really bothers me, seeing how in real life chariots had already been virtually obsolete for hundreds of years by the time of the rise of the roman empire. I have to say that power of chariots is my biggest problem with the RTW combat engine.

Default Sv: Re: superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbanator
    Looking back on it, it would have been cool to see if S.E. could have actualy beaten Egypt on their own...
    I don`t think they had, otherwise you had done some of same modding as Kraxis.

I think I`ll try that modding, sounds exciting!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

I CONQURED 25 TERRTORIES AS ARMENIAS AND SAMSHED EGYPT AND CRUSHED THE SULECID IN THE SAME YEAR BUT I FORGOT TO SAVE BEFORE POWER CUT
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Exclamation Re: superpowers?

Egypt was pain the ass i was almost forced to become protect teorrate
    but i assnated the phoaroa and killed all of them!!

don't egypt is also strong because after you take most cites from them LOADS of elite units pop up as rebelion to make the city egytion again!!

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

sounds like a fun game

We do not sow.

This reminds me of my current Scipii campaign.

It's around 190 B.C. I've taken Rome and southern Italia, all of Spain, southern Greece (to include Crete and Rhodes), and all of North Africa from Mauretania to the Nile Delta. I was so busy with the Spaniards, the remaining Romans, and pushing the Egyptians out of their major cities that I wasn't terribly curious about anything east of Alexandria.

Then I get a message saying that Egypt has been annihilated and this piqued my curiousity. Who was cutting up the rest of the Ptolemaic empire while I was slaughtering her major armies? So I get map information from the first civilization I see, which was Pontus, and find that Pontus has taken all of Asia Minor, Armenia, Parthia....pretty much everything the Egyptians had and more.

I've never seen Pontus do so well. Generally they don't do well even against the Seleucids, much less Armenia, Parthia, and Egypt. It would have been very interesting to have seen exactly how they pulled it off.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee
    I CONQURED 25 TERRTORIES AS ARMENIAS AND SAMSHED EGYPT AND CRUSHED THE SULECID IN THE SAME YEAR BUT I FORGOT TO SAVE BEFORE POWER CUT
    I'd recommend investing in an UPS (uninterruptable power supply). It's essentially a big battery that gives you anywhere from 9 to 30 minutes of power if grid power goes out, depending on the model. You can find them at most computer stores, and usually for a decent price.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

The game autosaves.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

While playing as Carthage in RTR i checked the diplomacy screen only to find that the Seleucid Empire was a protectorate of both the Ptolemic Empire AND Pontus and that Armenia had destroyed Parthia and had driven a wedge through Sarmatias' territory before making them a protectorate also.Dacia also had both Germany AND Thrace as protectorates.This is a much more refined version of the original RTW product.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate
    While playing as Carthage in RTR i checked the diplomacy screen only to find that the Seleucid Empire was a protectorate of both the Ptolemic Empire AND Pontus and that Armenia had destroyed Parthia and had driven a wedge through Sarmatias' territory before making them a protectorate also.Dacia also had both Germany AND Thrace as protectorates.This is a much more refined version of the original RTW product.
    Ah, yes. And Spartiate, the RTR team is currently striving very hard to overhaul RTR and 6.0 will soon come out within a week or two (or lesser, please! :) ). They're also very interested in overhauling the East. You'll see a new faction in the far east called Greco-Bactria (and another faction in the Balkans - Illyria), another breakaway kingdom of the Seleucids. They removed Thrace (and for Illyria, Britannia) for this. Also, apart from a huge number of features especially the ZOR+ concept they're very interested in trying to solve the weak Seleucid problem in which even RTR can't get away completely, yet. (The empire was the most powerful at 280 B.C. but in the game, they're the underdog, despite the size.)

Wow is RTR isentialy a new better game?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Wow.......that sounds fantastic Antiochus III.I am much impressed with the mod so far anyway(i hate calling it a mod) as it has already resolved many of the issues i had with this game.Keep up the good work.
    "Go tell the Spartans,stranger passing by that here,obedient to their laws we lie."

Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate
    Wow.......that sounds fantastic Antiochus III.I am much impressed with the mod so far anyway(i hate calling it a mod) as it has already resolved many of the issues i had with this game.Keep up the good work.
    Tell it to Simetrical, Seleucos I Nicator, nowonmai, Bouis, (all twc names) and others when they visit the org, not me! I'm not on the team (no way I'll be, I'm pathetic at modding) but just bringing some good news in case you miss them.

i dont have any modds on my game i have just modded little things like the stats of units but nothing that modds the mechanics of the game. Its getting borring to see the same thing happeing all the time with egypt ruling the east and the other factions just barley hanging on until rome reaches the marius reforms and stream rolls them down. I am waiting for the EB mod but until then is there a way where i can modd the mechanics of the game so there can be other faciotns such as carthage or selucids being more powerful? and is this possible with out downloading the current modds such as RTR? thanks

^^

Well if you didn't know much about modding, you could just give them about 750 grand and a few full stacks of units to start out with...

...or you could just ask someone who knows what they are doing (not me)...

...or you could download the RTR mod that everyone has been talking about in this thread (that seems to aleviate the problems in the east)...

Quote Originally Posted by bubbanator
    ^^

...or you could just ask someone who knows what they are doing (not me)...

...or you could download the RTR mod that everyone has been talking about in this thread (that seems to aleviate the problems in the east)...
    But once you install it you can't uninstall it and go back to vanilla, which is kinda scary as you won't be able to istall the xp, anyone knows a way arround that?

Quote Originally Posted by Romeus Petrus
    But once you install it you can't uninstall it and go back to vanilla, which is kinda scary as you won't be able to istall the xp, anyone knows a way arround that?
    Can`t you just install the game two times?
    I think that`s the only way around.

By the way, I think the modders should have added a simple un.inst prorgram in their mods.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

You cannot install the game twice as far as I know, unless you install it ina different folder which means double disc space.

If it is true that the new RTR comes with an uninstall feature, it would be great. Can anyone verify this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast