Thread: how do generals replace their bodyguards

Default how do generals replace their bodyguards

their bodyguards get killed in battle, in some towns, guys have like 82 or 98 guards. then, in some towns guys have 48 or 52. I know this has something to do with age, but these guys at same age. Some times after a battle, dead guards are not even replaced for several turns after. What the deal with replenishing bodyguards???

Default Re: how do generals replace their bodyguards

I didn't know it was to do with age Actually, that kinda makes sense.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

it has to do with valor and social standing, heirs and kings have bigger units

We do not sow.

thought so...

any kind of concrete formula to this? And what about replacements? Does having your general in a bigger city help? I have my faction heir leading an army stuck in a little village and he only has half of his original men. Some of my other generals that are same age and command/influence have different amounts of men.

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

I once ambushed a family member all by his lonesome and killed every member of his guard, only he escaped and retreated into a nearby city that I had actually been on my way to siege. I sieged the city and forgot about it when I was invaded from another direction. I went back to look several turns later and discovered that over a period of turns the family member's guard had been replenishing even while the garrison was losing men from the siege. Kinda lame.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

They regain about a dozen men per turn on normal unit size.

Having an enemy faction leader escape a battle alive is very bad as you will be fighting a full unit of heavy cav just 2 turns later.

A Barbarian Mercenary Member unseen11's Avatar

I like it when all my Generals replenish their Bodyguards in time. I remember in MTW that only the King would replenish and not the Princes which was extremely irratating

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis of Roland
    any kind of concrete formula to this? And what about replacements? Does having your general in a bigger city help? I have my faction heir leading an army stuck in a little village and he only has half of his original men. Some of my other generals that are same age and command/influence have different amounts of men.
    Valor play a huge role, if not the only role (apart from the titles faction leader and heir) to dictate the size of the bodyguard, though there may be other factors. A 3 gold chevron bodyguard unit of any kind, if full strength, is extremely dangerous, as it will be much larger (and much more skilled) than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by myz
    their bodyguards get killed in battle, in some towns, guys have like 82 or 98 guards. then, in some towns guys have 48 or 52.
    Say, 82 or 98 guards??!!

My biggest bodyguard ever was 54, I think. And he was even the faction leader!

Perhaps I should take my faction leader to the battlefield.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-01-2005 at 20:03.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

In a Seleucid campaign I had a large battle with the Brutii outside Athens, and was defeating the Romans all over the place, as usual. Then their faction leader came in as reinforcements from the city. He and his 108 (one hundred and eight!) highly experienced bodyguards single-handedly (well, with the help of a unit of equites) overturned my left flank by charging straight into the phalanx and routing it. I won the day, but that particular bodyguard cost me a great general who had come all the way from Parthia and many other good men.

When I sacked Rome with a Gaul army yesterday, the Senate faction leader also had a bodyguard of 108 men, but they didn't put up nearly as good a fight as their Brutii counterparts in that other game.

I still wonder, though, why some generals have greater bodyguards than others. If it's a valour thing, then why does my faction heir's son (a full-grown man now, by the way: his grandfather is 75 and still kicking any butt coming his way), with at least one golden chevron, only have around 45 men in his guard while another, less experienced and certainly less royal (though traveling with my faction leader) general has more than 50?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Say, 82 or 98 guards??!!

My biggest bodyguard ever was 54, I think. And he was even the faction leader!

Perhaps I should take my faction leader to the battlefield.
    The most I've ever seen was around 54, like you. Are you playing Large or Huge armies? I never play Huge armies, only Large.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

they allow men to follow them closest, the ones they trust the most
    robotica erotica

The British Faction Leader starts with 60 I believe.

i play huge and the largest was about 107

We do not sow.

for most normal guards it is on huge 48/53
    for heirs it is around 80
    for leaders it is around 100

valour plays a role but not that huge. it only adds a few man, though if you have gold chevron you have about 20 xtra men with gold chevrons and then you could better turn and run

We do not sow.

Default Re: Re: how do generals replace their bodyguards

Quote Originally Posted by kekvitirae
    The most I've ever seen was around 54, like you. Are you playing Large or Huge armies? I never play Huge armies, only Large.
    Ah, I never thought of unit scale, stupid me!

I play on large unit scale, where cavalry units have 54 men, except from those cheating egyptians.

I thought that since they were generals, they maybe could have some more men in their units than ordinary cavalry.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Having an enemy faction leader escape a battle alive is very bad as you will be fighting a full unit of heavy cav just 2 turns later.
    It has its upsides, if he ran away he probably picked up a cowardice trait. The morale hit usually makes a battle far easier. Then again, the cowardice traits aren't nearly as crippling as they were in MTW (-9 morale, anyone?)
    ~LordKhaine~

But I find it interesting to know how they pick their bodyguards and stuff... working on my Scythian epic, see, and I had this battle where my faction heir fought outnumbered against a Parthian sally and came out victorious with only 9 men left, but some turns later (mostly travelling) he ended up with 52 again. I need some way to explain it away before I post it in Mead Hall.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

The guy's got a good doctor or something?

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    But I find it interesting to know how they pick their bodyguards and stuff... working on my Scythian epic, see, and I had this battle where my faction heir fought outnumbered against a Parthian sally and came out victorious with only 9 men left, but some turns later (mostly travelling) he ended up with 52 again. I need some way to explain it away before I post it in Mead Hall.
    With such a unheard-of victory, who wouldn't want to flock to his banner?
    robotica erotica

You don't have to mention numbers when writing a story. Just say he promoted some of his other cavalry to join him in his bodyguard. Or maybe he promoted some of the infantry commanders.

Cool. Now why didn't I think of that. *wry grin* Well, off I go then. First instalment will be posted today, watch out for it!

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

How do generals replace their bodyguards?

Well, when a mummy bodyguard and a daddy bodyguard love each other they...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

hehe try getting armoured eastern general up to 108 men with triple gold chevron and full weapons and armor upgrade. They are almost invincible. They smash into cohorts destroying their men and moral within a matter of seconds....provided u alt double right click so they use their mace in melee.