Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,522 of 1522

Thread: Pics & History of your Empire

Default Re: Pics & History of your Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    So I tried to go under the 60-barrier with egyptians, still in expert difficulty, early period... ... ...It worked very well since I won after 44 turns !
    Another impressive result! My jaw dropped, when I first saw it...

Although, to be fair here... I think we should point out that Valer did achieve such good results by doing this with a different "set of rules" then I used - in my previous entries/posts. After all, I made a point of not using "low and easy"-units like peasants, spearmen and urban-boys in my runs/campaigns - much in contrast to Valer who used whatever units available to him as he raced against/towards the "60-barrier". Obviously, all my previous remarks on factions and speed in general are hopelessly colored by that very fact, and evidently utterly irrelevant in Valers campaigns. As has been also clearly demonstrated here, by Valer. Using an "Axalon-set-of-rules" will unquestionably slow things down and make things harder somehow, while a "Valer-set of rules" (in short, use whatever units available to you. Minus all mercenaries, as I understand it) will be easier and faster somehow. There is little doubt to be had on all that. All the same, the "Axalon-set of rules" are not (and never was) mandatory for people to follow, and folks are obviously free to play it in any way they like. Just like Valer did. That said...

Upon seeing Valers last run (campaign) with the Egyptians and only 44 turns... My jaw basically dropped, it clearly made the 60-barrier much less formidable if a "Valer-set of rules" was used - evidently. So, what to do? Instead of stupidly trying to enforce the "Axalon-set of rules" upon the rest of the world on this note, I simply decided to just adapt and adjust here... Play with the "Valer-set of rules" and see whatever happens... And ultimately see how the "60-barrier" fits into all that... Here is what I ended up with (in the spoiler folks, as its a big fat secret and all)...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

30 (freaking) turns! This at expert, default unit-size, no alliances, mercenaries and cheats. I used whatever units was
    available to me - save mercs. Had I used mercs too, I could have managed to cut at least a few more turns for sure.

- A

Member thankful for this post:

ferdi 

It may not be symptomatic, nor a touchstone to gauge one's success with. Each faction has a different starting conditions, some factions have better units than others. For example, the Byz are known to have multi-starred princes/kings from the outset and a unit to rely on in any battle - Varangian guard. Their starting provinces in early are superb. Those are some of the reasons of your stunning performance. If you started, say, with the French in High the outcome might have been somewhat different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Haha nice one Axalon, your spoiler killed me, 30 turns is just awesome ! Your result, even in the "Valer-set of rules" (and yes, I also didn't use mercenaries), really impress me :D

Just to be clear about our rules, I think that vikings units are the danes' equivalent of peasants, since they are cheap and just need a fort to be recruited. And we can agree that vikings are way better units than peasants, and therefore a hudge advantage on those kind of rush, as you stated it on your post about danes' campaign. So I saw this restriction as an arbitrary one, because to me Vikings are also "easy" units. That's why I didn't see the point to put cheap units out of my run in the first place.
    In "Axolon-set of rules" (I love these rules' names by the way), I agree with you, Danes are probably one of the best factions.

Anyway 30 turns appears to me like a great challenge, half of our dear 60 turns barrier, you showed no mercy. I might try to do a similar performance later, if my skill allows me to do so !

I also agree with you Gilrandir, starting conditions are very unequal among the different factions. However I persist, I think that most of the factions can win in less that 60 turns, even France in High period (smaller factions like Aragon will certainly have more trouble with this objectif). 10 minutes ago, 30 turns seemed unreachable to me, but now maybe that France in High can reach 40 turns or something like that (but likely nothing comparable to Byzantines in Early era, indeed).

Axalon 

Thanks man, as it is, even I have problems grasping such turbo-haha-speed... :D

Anyhow... In times like these, I am totally with Valer. Any faction can reach the 60-barrier... "Valer-set of rules", of course... Had anyone asked me the same thing some 2-3 weeks ago - I would have had serious doubts about it. Now, I have zero doubts about it. Prior to all this extreme turbo-overdrive-stuff, I never ever heard of anyone that had actually managed to beat MTW in less then 50 or even 60 turns, regardless of difficulty. The result of "Byzantium at 30" have certainly forced me to change how I view all these things - as it is both ridiculous and extreme (in the extreme) - well beyond what I previously thought was actually possible to achieve in MTW. Hell, "Egypt at 44" did that already...

As for France, in "High"... I could probably do a very good run with France in "High" - all them French castles would certainly rival or surpass that of Byzantium in early, in terms of favourable circumstances. The kingdom also is split in two, and far away as well, that too would serve my blitzer-haha-plans extremely well. And all them pretty castles, that all the other factions also had, sure would save me a lot of valuable time too... There is zero doubts in my mind that I could and would fly right through the "60-barrier" and beyond with that one...

Also, while we are still talking about the obvious... There is a reason I constantly disregard all periods/eras save "Early" in this context. Early is without a doubt the hardest possible period to handle given the context of "blitzkrieg in MTW" (and all this began as to put MTW and its challenges to the test). No infrastructure, little or no tech anywhere... You are typically forced to build up all that on your own, as peasants and such will hardly do in any serious battle, and all that takes time. Time you don't really have, not in this extreme context you don't. Both in "High" and "Late" there are plenty of tech and castles everywhere - that's easier, a lot easier. To go below even 30 turns in MTW - I think that would be the best place to start - for that very reason, its a lot easier there. I doubt it will happen in early, but these days who knows...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-19-2016 at 03:31.

Valer 

And another one.... Strudel unt sauerkraut-season are back all over Europe!

27 turns! Jawohl! Ze Germans! This at expert, default unit-size, no alliances, mercenaries and cheats. I used whatever units was available to me - save mercs. Yup the Germans are back up in the lead, cooking sauerkraut and dominating Europe yet again... Seriously, this will probably mark the end of my blitz-adventures in “Early” as the HRE is probably the last solid faction that could ever hope to somehow rival Byzantium as a favourable starting point for doing this kind of turbo-haha-nonsense in raw MTW. This time I really had lousy generals all over – the best one I got eventually earned up to 4 stars - and my troops were really not much to look at either. I lost a few battles in this run because of all that. I was reminded several times why I hate low grade troops so much. Running around like chickens instead of fighting as soldiers. And the Pope? I killed him and his minions as soon as I was in position to do so, as usual...

If I do more of this silly hyper-blitzing across the map it will probably be in “High” from now on. Its probably the only viable option left for this kind of nonsense because I don’t think I can get much lower/faster in “Early” anyways. Then again, just a few days ago I said that someone ever going below 30 turns seemed doubtful in “Early”. Nah, I think I do this in “High” from now on, with all them juicy castles. I rather conquer a castle then build it, and save myself a lot of precious time and coin in the process. Anyhow, this is getting ridiculous... Beating MTW in less then 30 turns...

- A

Members thankful for this post (2):

Just in case anyone wants to know: Steam.com has the Medieval Total War (1) Gold Edition for $9.99 and it runs very well under Windows 10.
    Using only the best:
    MTW: VI + Mods

http://www.Ingersoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    It may not be symptomatic, nor a touchstone to gauge one's success with. Each faction has a different starting conditions, some factions have better units than others. For example, the Byz are known to have multi-starred princes/kings from the outset and a unit to rely on in any battle - Varangian guard. Their starting provinces in early are superb. Those are some of the reasons of your stunning performance. If you started, say, with the French in High the outcome might have been somewhat different.
    Nope, not really... :D

"It was time for croissants, wine and French wenches..." France, High - 29 turns... Actually even faster then what I did with the Byzantines...

- A

Hi, i recently started one campaign with the Turks and appeared the Sultan Suleyman The Magnificent, now i go to smash all europe and take Viena XD.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Scroll down, we want to see the VnV's!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

After conquest Serbia

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quite the impressive army over there.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

nice pics Sultan ....

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  287.5 KB
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 04-07-2019 at 23:40.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I hope that treasury was the result of a last minute buying spree and not an ongoing concern...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I hope that treasury was the result of a last minute buying spree and not an ongoing concern...
    could be because of brexit

It was an ongoing concern unfortunately - I had to redo all of my calculations / finances after the wars started in around 1300. Until then the trading was going buttery smooth, with Tripoli generating me close to 8000 florins a turn!

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    It was an ongoing concern unfortunately - I had to redo all of my calculations / finances after the wars started in around 1300. Until then the trading was going buttery smooth, with Tripoli generating me close to 8000 florins a turn!
    Yeah, was about to say, edyz was getting money through trade that got disrupted and he didn't wanted to get rid of the extra stacks

In fact that's my first finished GA campaign! I was quite happy to achieve this after playing the game for 17 years!

Proud

Been to:

Congrats then, it always has a nice feeling winning without having to conquer the whole map

Will always cherish this game - my favourite game of all time, with my favourite FPS Day of Defeat Source top of the pile. Played both of them way too much and I still love them.

Thank you CA for making this splendid game.

Proud

Been to:

Just for sentimental reasons. Outstanding video quality. I can really appreciate these shaders and textures. At least in my imagination.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sorry for my bad English.

Oh the memories playing for hours on end with heavy cavalry, acting like a battering ram against almost any troop type. Since the AI would rarely build very advanced units, by end game a cavalry heavy army would steamroll everything.

Proud

Been to:

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051