Thread: Concerning protectorates

Member Member itsgottabeworthatry's Avatar

Default Concerning protectorates

I'm just wondering what you gain from owning (is that the right term?) a protectorate. I know you gain Map information and Military access, and of course an alliance (obviously). But do you gain any other benefits? Do you recieve tributes or similar things? As far as I know, the only way to get a protectorate is to threaten the faction's borders and cities with powerful armies. In other words: you are a position where you can quite easily conquer the enemy faction. But if you are in such a position, why not conquer it instead? Surley you must gain more if you do this instead.
    The word that has heralded progress throughout the ages: "It's gotta be worth a try..."

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: Concerning protectorates

If they are a protectorate you can concentrate your forces on other nearby factions.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

BTW Welcome to the Org
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Yeah, welcome!
    There is already a thread about protectorates!(called: protectorates: ????? ) Take a look at this!

In my experience a protectorate becomes an ally that will pay you tribute (sometimes a lot of tribute). Protectorate cities do not require garrisons like a conquest would. You can’t enter or raise your own troops in their cities but neither must you manage them. You have total military access to protectorate land in all other respects. I believe that all of the protectorate’s territory counts as your own when the game counts areas controlled.

You don’t control a protectorate’s armies but they will defend themselves saving you some effort at the very least. I have never seen my protectorates invade anyone. The only protectorate that ever reneged on me was the Senate when I made war on the Scipii. Since the Romans are a special case it may be that protectorates are otherwise very reliable.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Member Member itsgottabeworthatry's Avatar

Thanks for all the nice welcomes and answers. And I will check up on that thread.
    The word that has heralded progress throughout the ages: "It's gotta be worth a try..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    I believe that all of the protectorate’s territory counts as your own when the game counts areas controlled.
    This is correct, and is one of the most important reasons for holding protectorates.

That's why I surged to the top when Germania became my protectorate. They're an even larger faction than myself.

Don't you just feel great after a long 50-100 turn war with the Roman factions, when you finally get Rome itself to agree to be a protectorate? All those pop up icons flash down, one after the other as the other factions agree ceasefires. It almost feels like a victory..

Unfortunately, this only lasts about one turn.

Thrace is usually very willing to become a protectorate ive been the greeks and macedonians and ive pretty easily made Thrace my protectorate, as Carthage ive also made the Senate one.

Unfortunately, both times ive made Thrace one, i have at some point had to destroy them, one time they sided with Dacia in yet another war with them, and another time they invaded my territory. In the end unless you have a protectorate that is large and prosperous (therefore able to pay a decent tribute and form a buffer state to other enemies) then it isnt really worth it, as the ones ive had were weak from wars and economically ruined, not to mention totally useless at invading enemies when I demand them to.

Also if they recover their strength theres nothing stopping them biding their time and attacking you when your weakened. It cost me 10,000 denarii to force factions to become protectorates so unless they help me fight my wars then its pointless, I think the AI of the game is such that factions seldom provide aid to you when you demand assistance even though that is the principle value of having a protectorate, allies losing there armies instead of yours fighting in your wars.