Thread: Creating new units, again!

Question Creating new units, again!

Ok, I've asked this question before but I didn't really understand the answers. Anyway, I'll try to be more specific this time.

I want to create a new unit, a new roman cohort unit to be precise. They should look exactly like roman legionary cohorts but carry spears instead of swords. (Basically triarii with a different shields and helmets.)

What files do I need to change and how? How do I create the new model? Which unit should I base the new unit on? Is it easier to change the shield, helmet and armour of a triarii copy or change the weapon and movement of a legionary cohort copy?
    "Men and guns are fine but give me more tanks!"

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Creating new units, again!

Hm, I think it would be easier to change the Triarii into your new unit, but use an edited cohort model.

To edit the model, you need 3ds max. If you don't have this expensive program, you can get GMax for free, which I understand can open, but not save .CAS files. If you use this, I'm sure someone of the forums will convert your model into .CAS for you.

You need to get Verc's .CAS extractor, find it in the tools thread in the guides forum. Then you just open the triarii, copy the spear, open the cohort, add the spear, and save as a new model. You then need to make this the model for your unit in descr_models_battle.txt.

That might seem a bit confusing, coz I assume you know something about modding units. If not, I'll go through it in a bit more detail
    Hope thats more helpfull than last time.

Default Re: Creating new units, again!

Thanks. I think I understand the modelling part fairly good.

I've created some more simple mods before (for instance I created a swedish faction in MTW) but I haven't done any modelling. I tried to create a new unit for RTW but it was an exact copy of another unit type and it didn't work correctly. I'm not sure what files to edit.
    "Men and guns are fine but give me more tanks!"