Thread: Need help w/ ships

Default Need help w/ ships

I am new to the game and I can't figure out how to make units board ships to cross over seas. I have longships. Any help would be appreciated.

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

Default Re: Need help w/ ships

If I remember rightly your troops dont board the ships, instead you need to create a chain of ships (ie: one or more ships in every sea zone) all the way to wherever you want your troops to go.

You'll need ports at both ends of the chain if your just shuttling troops about your empire. If your launching an amphibious invasion you need to clear the intervening sea zones of enemy ships first.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by RabidGibbon; 05-03-2005 at 20:23.

The "v" key shows the status of your seas, green are yours (or yours and neutral/allies) and red have an enemy presence, no color shows none of your ships are in that sea..

Lift your army and all the areas they can move to (next door and across the oceans) are highlighted.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Master of Puppets Member bretwalda's Avatar
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Little White Marble

Actually I think you dont need a port in the destination even if it is your province. (Of course you dont need a port in enemy held territory otherwise it would be hard to take Ireland
    This space is for sale. Anybody wanting to advertise little blue pills, pumping body parts or financial services that cost you a fortune may do it here for a small fee instead of packing my mailbox. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    Awright, here is the all_can_crusade_mod. This is v2.
    Magyarország

That's right, you don't need a port in the destination provice to move your troops,but you do need one to move your agents there
    "Gold , Frankenstein and Grrr!"

Richard Richard

Guardian of Scotland Member Sir William Wallace's Avatar

yeah, only in RTW do the troops actually go in the ships,, which often times is suicide if you have a weak navy agaisnt a naval power, but thats a different game altogether, so just do what everyone else said above
    Formerly Maximus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by bretwalda
    Actually I think you dont need a port in the destination even if it is your province. (Of course you dont need a port in enemy held territory otherwise it would be hard to take Ireland
    But you will need a port in the destination province eventually - if you want to move your troops out of there...

DE

Master of Puppets Member bretwalda's Avatar
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Little White Marble

Unfortunatelly ports have the tendecy to be destroyed on the course of attacking so it is easy to get stranded on an island. This is why you shouldn't take your king to Ireland

Since -again - Ireland does not have a port you cannot bribe those handsome gallowglasses and kerns because your AGENTS need ports as it has been mentioned.
    This space is for sale. Anybody wanting to advertise little blue pills, pumping body parts or financial services that cost you a fortune may do it here for a small fee instead of packing my mailbox. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    Awright, here is the all_can_crusade_mod. This is v2.
    Magyarország

Quote Originally Posted by bretwalda
    Unfortunatelly ports have the tendecy to be destroyed on the course of attacking so it is easy to get stranded on an island. This is why you shouldn't take your king to Ireland
    LOL although I didn't send my King there, in my current campaign I sent a large army there only to find it stuck I desperately needed to use the troops again on another front, but had to wait a few years to build a port and get them off. Oh well, you live and learn and it's these surprises that keep the game interesting.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

There is one exception to requiring a port to leave a region by sea: if you are playing as the Vikings in the Viking Era campaign. Vikings in this campaign can both attack and leave by sea without a port being present in the region. An unbroken line of ships between source and destination is still required, and enemy ships in a sea region (enemy, not neutral) will block any path requiring that sea region.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

When you attack by sea to a province that is cut off from the rest of your empire, send a spy and assassin with the attacking army before the port gets destroyed.

Also don't be afraid to send a few extra garrison troops along with the invasion force, if the enemy cuts off your sea connection the loyalty can go down.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH