Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brittania's oversea's Imperial empire

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Brittania's oversea's Imperial empire

Hehe, i thought i'd have a good laugh, by doing what most people do with the Seleucids, only without boats, and with the British. I edited the game so that i had Dn99,999,999 and then proceeded to build up my towns in brittania and the little starting town in Gaul, Saramobriva. While doing this, i sent out my diplomats to Northern Italy, where i found a rebel family member, who i bribed to the dark side. I then sent him through the Balkans, through the Steppes, and down to Turkey, hiring mercs all the way. Along the journey i bribed two Greek family members over, who i also used to hire lots of mercs. By time i reached Halicarnasuss, i had 3 stacks full of mercs. One stack assaulted Halicarnasuss, and the other assaulted the town above it which was also rebel. Once i had established positions, i sent the third stack to Pergamum and conquered it from the small Greek garrison. I am now building more stacks, and fighting off many armies of the Greeks and currently sending in family reinforcements from Brittania by boat, because my large navies are unchallenged by Gaul and Iberia.

It's so fun and challenging, managing oversea's colonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Brittania's oversea's Imperial empire

Challenging? How is giving yourself unlimited money challenging? Try doing the same thing with only 3000 dinarii and see how well you do then

I agree with kekvitare, I think I would be able to hold some colonies with unlimited money. That's a nice plan though.

Na, give him a break, haha. It's nice to have fun once in a while and try out all the things you were never able to do with your limited resources. Fun's fun, after all. It's only a game, remember. And it IS challenging--no amount of money's going to help you if you can't develop your colonies and keep them happy coherently while juggling war and diplomacy.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Challenging would be giving another faction the money and then seeing how you handle it...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

That would be a good challenge for any player. Give the computer players all maximum denarii then let them come for you.

Reckon it'd help, or would they just build 30 stacks of peasants?
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Challenging would be giving another faction the money and then seeing how you handle it...
    I did that before. And they did precisely what Al Khalifah last said...

would they just build 30 stacks of peasants?
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

That's how I'd spend 99999999 K, train up millions of peasants for an unbeatable war machine.

I trained using a peasant army before. They got slaughtered by a 100 strong roman army. Btw, on my ridiculous game i have just trained up an army and attempted to take Ancrya from the greeks. I lost about half of my 1400 man army, while completely destroying the greek army that was in there, which was 1 faction heir, one peltast unit and 18 hoplites. That was a challenge. After all, when your watching half your army getting impaled on very big spikes, nothing can help you, not even an infinite amount of money. Anyways, i've abandoned Britain and let it rebel, and am bringing over the rest of my family and two stacks of random soldiers. One stack will land in Carthage and another stack, which is my family members and some soldiers will be split up and will land in Halicarnassus (my new capital) and Alexandria, which is currently under seige and being starved out. I only decided to give myself so much money because of the fact that i've drained the game, so now i thought would be a good time to experiment.

Hehe, don't talk down on the peasant armies. I once received suprising amounts of casualties in a siege against rebel peasants. Did I mentioned they, in a evil whim of the computer, all sported gold chevrons and fully upgraded armour and weapon? I took ages to get them down from the walls!
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to modding, but can someone explain to me how to give an x amount of money to a certain faction. I would really like to boost up the Cartheginians and the Seleucids, maybe the Greeks too.
    Last edited by Romeus Petrus; 05-04-2005 at 23:10.

Well, I use the cheat unlocker to get my tons of cash... and building up towns in an instant!

BTW, for the people who have difficulty fighting peasant units... just get some archers. I rarely go into hand-to-hand combat unless I absolutely must. All other times, I just shower my enemies with arrows until they're entirely destroyed.

In the case of a siege, I never bash open the gates immidately, but I send my archer units near the walls to shower the enemies over at the other side with arrows and decimate/obliterate their units. Works every time.

I really hate phalax units... they're too slow in moving (even when they stand in formation) and they rarely a problem for me as I kill them off with skirmishers and archers while they approach me with their akwardly slow phalax formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeus Petrus
    Forgive my ignorance when it comes to modding, but can someone explain to me how to give an x amount of money to a certain faction. I would really like to boost up the Cartheginians and the Seleucids, maybe the Greeks too.
    Go into the folder \\Rome Totalwar\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and open the file descr_strat.

From there you can not only select how much money each faction should start with, but also what buildings, troops and such.

To give yourself a real challenge, set the experience of the troops of your neigbouring factions to 9.

I`m just about to start an such campaign where Carthage and TSE start with
    900000 denari in their treasury. And loads with 3 gold chevron units.

Really looking forward to the result!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

to get 1,4 billion do what he said (above post) and make it 9999999999

We do not sow.

With an over the top amount of money, you can fulfill all of your ridiculous dreams you've ever had about moving factions all the way across the map.

Yeap. Oh, gold chev peasants etc are really disgusting :-P you should look at their stats. They are almost urban cohorts--14-16 attack, if I recall correctly, depending on upgrade level.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Gold valour with gold weapon upgrade would give +12 to attack.

Bh

Yeah, there you go. The point being, very VERY nasty peasants.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

An update on my ridiculous game:

The British Empire has finally established colonies in North Africa, at Alexandria, Carthage and Cyrene. Carthage and Cyrene are perfectly safe, but Alexandria is under constant attack from the Egyptians. My navy is nearly destroyed, due to constant attack from Egypt and Spain. I plan to expand my colonies, and make a small navy in Carthage to land an army on Sicily to take the rebel town of Syracuse. As you can see from the map, the Romans have made almost no expansion, even though the year is now 196bc.

Ah you established the phoenician empire once more! always nice to see.

As for making the AI powerful, this:

I did that before. And they did precisely what Al Khalifah last said...

Reckon it'd help, or would they just build 30 stacks of peasants?
    can probably be offset by changing AI personalities! See this thread for more details:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45212

So remove all the maos and replace them with smiths. Choose their personality (comfortable, trader, etc.) based on their best temples (usually prefer XP temples/buildings, they rock to fight both with and against).
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

I've tried that. Instead, i just see the AI building peasants, with the ocassional unit of heavy infantry or cavalry thrown in for fun.

Then you should try stalin or caesar.

Should work, have yet to find out what the Seleucids bought for 900 000 denari, doubt peasants.
    `Cause their actually chrushing Egypt.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

AI Seleucids beating Egypt? You gotta be joking.

Nope.

I gave them 900 000 denari, and gave them the trait "craftsman caesar".
    Also I boosted their population, and made it that way that all their starter units had 3 gold chevron.
    Finally, I made some negative modding on Egypt.

If they coudn`t win after all that, then their really incompetent.

But I have read that you only have to change the traits to make the seleucids win.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

You had to make such drastic changes!? Dear lord...

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Go into the folder \\Rome Totalwar\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and open the file descr_strat.

From there you can not only select how much money each faction should start with, but also what buildings, troops and such.

To give yourself a real challenge, set the experience of the troops of your neigbouring factions to 9.

I`m just about to start an such campaign where Carthage and TSE start with
    900000 denari in their treasury. And loads with 3 gold chevron units.

Really looking forward to the result!
    Thanks
    I am gonna start one myself now. I'll probably beef up both Carthage and the the Seleucids.. and the Greeks too, what the heck.

I've tried that. Instead, i just see the AI building peasants, with the ocassional unit of heavy infantry or cavalry thrown in for fun.
    I believe that the AI decides what to build based on denarii income, mainly, only using stockpiles as a secondary variable. Changing the income for the S.E. provinces might help them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    You had to make such drastic changes!? Dear lord...
    Nah, not necessarily.
    In my next campaign I will only change the traits of TSE, and not touch Egypt.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Always trailing off... Member Arrowhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheater
    Well, I use the cheat unlocker to get my tons of cash... and building up towns in an instant!

BTW, for the people who have difficulty fighting peasant units... just get some archers. I rarely go into hand-to-hand combat unless I absolutely must. All other times, I just shower my enemies with arrows until they're entirely destroyed.

In the case of a siege, I never bash open the gates immidately, but I send my archer units near the walls to shower the enemies over at the other side with arrows and decimate/obliterate their units. Works every time.

I really hate phalax units... they're too slow in moving (even when they stand in formation) and they rarely a problem for me as I kill them off with skirmishers and archers while they approach me with their akwardly slow phalax formation.
    Another archer fan...

Try Scythia, if you are a real archer fan.

Anyway, I tested my theory that unit production is based more on income than stockpiles, and I have concluded that it is correct.

I changed the amount of money that the S.E. has, and the amount of money produced by the various regions of the S.E. I found that when they have a high production, regardless of stockpile levels, they tend to produce better quality units. In fact, I never saw a peasant at all.

Rather than altering the amount of money they have, alter the amount of money they produce, and you will see much better results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast