Thread: Just saw the coollest thing

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Default Just saw the coollest thing

One of those little touches that make RTW still enjoyable. Defending a city against assault by Britons, and one of the Brit general's bodyguard chariots crashed straight into my veteran German spear warband, disintegrating on impact. But one of the wheels, having fallen off the axle, continued to roll along past the flank of my regiment until it lost momentum, wobbled, and fell over! I'd never seen that happen before, but it was a great little effect.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Default Re: Just saw the coollest thing

Yeah, it's a nice touch to the game, not nice to see when you are the guy with the chariots...

lol true

I did something funny and crazy once. It was a custom bridge battle and I was Greek defender. I had about 4 spartan hoplite units and the enemy 20 british chariots. At the start of the battle I put the 4 units overlapping one another just at the mouth of the bridge.

Wave after wave of chariots ran into my wall of spears and you know what happened after that haha. There were so many wheels kept rolling off behind the hoplites that I couldn't stop laughing!

Best i seen was when after a fantastic Battle a lone light cavery horseman was retreating from my pikemen.....he was nealy away..then he stoped turned around waited 2-3 min then charged straight in to my pikemen..i felt bad whatching this Brave Guy.....lol...FANTASTIC

This actually has the opposite effect on me. I see this sort of stuff and sit there thinking "why the hell did you bother to program this junk, yet neglect the core part of the game so badly".

Ah well. Everyone has his own views on it, but if I saw that, I'd sing a dirge in remembrance of his forlorn courage when all hope was lost. Sort of like a William Wallace thing.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

dgb - I think that's a little harsh. The innermost core of the game is fine, in my book. It's just that the part next to the innermost core isn't great. And the outermost part is good, too.

Sort of like:

Good, small things

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I loved the effect of chariots moving through heavy grass. As one member put it: "Lawnmowers!"

oh yeah oh yeah that was GOOD. Catch was, I was on the receiving end of the charge. So. >.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I haven't seen that? Does it actually cut the grass? I've played a campaign with Britannia but I never saw that; I'm shocked.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I haven't seen that? Does it actually cut the grass? I've played a campaign with Britannia but I never saw that; I'm shocked.
    No, but the way it parts the grass makes it look like it does

Cool. I actually think I'll try out a custom battle later, to check this out.

Here's something to try, too.

One unit, Pontic chariots archers. Set on Cantabrian circle.

One unit, Thracian Mercs. Have the merc try to cross the circle to a point beyond the chariots.

They slowly cross but as they do they keep getting knocked down by the chariots (but not killed.) It's pretty funny. Also, their little weapons stick up when they fall, looking a bit like...er....

note: both units are on the same side.
    Last edited by HarunTaiwan; 05-05-2005 at 07:21.

...er. Let's stay away from that thought, shall we?

Craterus, by 'grass', try 'wheatfields'. That's the sort of long grass where we can see the nice effects. Normal grass doesn't work, or if it does, i sure can't see it.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Oh ok, is there a custom-battle map which contains a wheatfield? This would save me a lot of time.
    Last edited by Craterus; 05-05-2005 at 18:53.

The game actually has many good little features and some bad. I remember once when my Lybian spearmen were trying to climb a ladder when they all fell offor no reson lost 34 men in that tradgic incident.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Yeah, quite realistic, one man could slip and cause a tragedy.

This isn't on the same entertainment level as the chariot wheel, but once when my Hastati were taking someone's stone walls they cut down a platoon of peltasts until there was only one man left, and he was sandwiched between my first platoon and another approaching from the opposite direction. He stopped, hesitated for just a second, and then jumped off the wall. That was great.
    Ah...morality. The last bastion of a coward.

I would. As long as there was a pile of bodies I could aim for. I've never sseen that effect though, it sounds so cool. I wonder how many of these cool, little things there are in the game.

I would. As long as there was a pile of bodies I could aim for.
    I'm pretty sure he landed on his ear or something, because he didn't move after that.

In this vein, twitching bodies would be another cool feature. At least I think so.

Hmmm, pretty freaky too.

I think it would be good if there was a way for cavalry to dismount or if their horse is hit by an arrow the soldier wouldn't die automatically as well.

Or if the soldier was hit and not the horse, have the horse gallop offscreen on his own.

Yeah, vice versa etc.

It would also be good if hoplites dropped their spears when they routed. I mean if you were running for your life, you wouldn't be running very fast with a 16 ft spear in your hand.

a cool effect for chariots would be if it was set fire that the soldiers would acutally jump off of it.... it looks weird when they just burn all at once as if it was covered in gasoline. another cool thing would be if soldiers flew off of chariots and horses instead of falling over with it, sum maybe even living would be cool 2.

Lightbulb Re: Just saw the coollest thing

i think a cool thing is when elephants make infantry go realy high and they end up like 100yards from wher they started
    The bigger the weapon the harder it is to pick up.-Shadow
    member of the lords of midnight
    visit us www.lordsofmidnight.tk

It would also be good if hoplites dropped their spears when they routed. I mean if you were running for your life, you wouldn't be running very fast with a 16 ft spear in your hand.
    And they wouldnt be able to form a phalanx the next turn, `cause they dropped all their spears...
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

cant povolters do that tho?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

ai sucks so i'm trying to make challenges to give the AI advantage

We do not sow.