Thread: Best Mod ??

Default Best Mod ??

Ok im looking to play a little RTW soon, but ned help on the best mod........not just eye candy but what mod helps game play i dont care about new units if the game play is still the same.................any help you can ofter would help............
    All Faith is false all faith is true. Truth is the shattered mirrors strewn In myriad bits; While each believes his little bit the whole to own. From The kasidah of Haji Abu el-Yezdi

Just Another Cretin, eh? Member L`zard's Avatar

Default Re: Best Mod ??

Myself offers RTR 5.4.1 as the current best for someone used to vanilla and just looking for a game-play fix. RTR offers many 'fixes' to the vanilla version, some new skins and a new campaign map. Best Feature: it's out now!

As well, you might look over some other add-on mods (temple mod comes to mind) to see what sort of thing is available.

The Roma mod is a good choice if you consider yourself @ EXPERT level (suker kicked my butt in a heart-beat, so I guess I'm not expert, lol).

One good tip: make yourself a vanilla 1.2 install and rename it to something like 'Virgin Install Folder', then you can copy to a new 'install name' and load the mod to the new folder/install. Generally faster than doing compleat 'new installs' every time you wish to try out a new mod. Remember to use the .exe icon short-cut (save to desktop) from each install to target the new game.

Presently, the only 'switch' (addendum to the property line for the short-cut)that I know to work is -NM, which turns off the opening movies.

Please forgive me if I seem condescending, don't know how much your into multi-installs vis RTW, eh?
    I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius; I keep them in a jar under my bed.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

robotica erotica

Definitely SPQR Total War - it makes the game really interesting as the romans as the marian reforms are drastically delayed, other faction's units are stronger and every infantry unit is build in one turn! (You have to use common sense not to swarm over the enemy too much)

One good tip: make yourself a vanilla 1.2 install and rename it to something like 'Virgin Install Folder', then you can copy to a new 'install name' and load the mod to the new folder/install. Generally faster than doing compleat 'new installs' every time you wish to try out a new mod. Remember to use the .exe icon short-cut (save to desktop) from each install to target the new game.
    I understand that this is a useful idea, however i don't reccomend it because it doesn't save any more than about 50 meg of disc space and it saves you from errors if you just copy your default rtw install folder from "...Activision/Rome Total War" to "...Activision/SPQR Total War", for example, and install the mod of your choice over the latter.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

are there any screen shots for SPQR Total War?

Have a look around here
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

So it lookslike most people are plying RTR mod or the SPQR mod I have been thinking about theRTR mod but going to the mod forum is pissing my off most of the time I cant log in...So i will try the SPQR.....I dont like my games to be so real that they are no fun..It is a gam anyway so feel it should be more fun that follow History because History is all a point of view of the winner not what realy happen just look at US history the land of the free.......lol so funny...well thanks guys fo your input.... But i must say L`zard your a good sales man if it was not for the site i would play that......but i have them all just did not know which one i should try will try the add-on also
    All Faith is false all faith is true. Truth is the shattered mirrors strewn In myriad bits; While each believes his little bit the whole to own. From The kasidah of Haji Abu el-Yezdi

Master of the Horse Senior Member Pindar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheJian
    So it lookslike most people are plying RTR mod or the SPQR mod I have been thinking about theRTR mod but going to the mod forum is pissing my off most of the time I cant log in...So i will try the SPQR.....I dont like my games to be so real that they are no fun..It is a gam anyway so feel it should be more fun that follow History because History is all a point of view of the winner not what realy happen just look at US history the land of the free.......lol so funny...well thanks guys fo your input.... But i must say L`zard your a good sales man if it was not for the site i would play that......but i have them all just did not know which one i should try will try the add-on also

Try this site: Rometotalrealism.com

"We are lovers of beauty without extravagance and of learning without loss of vigor." -Thucydides

"The secret of Happiness is Freedom, and the secret of Freedom, Courage." -Thucydides

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

My mod, when it's finished ;)
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

lol what is it?

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L`zard
    Presently, the only 'switch' (addendum to the property line for the short-cut)that I know to work is -NM, which turns off the opening movies.
    I don't see how that's relevant, but -ne (windowed mode, awesome for modding), -show_err (gives error messages), -enable_editor (enables battle editor), -sprite_generator (a way to make sprites, quite complicated), and -strat:[campaignname] (goes straight to a new game in the specified campaign) are some others, FYI.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Just Another Cretin, eh? Member L`zard's Avatar

And that, Simetrical, is why your on the RTR team, and I'm not, lol!

I'll try out the -ne switch, but the one I really miss is the -ian switch.

I can't imagine why CA disabled this. 'Twas a very nice thing for vetting mods in MTW, eh?

Whatever, gentlemen. As Simetrical indicates, switchs are another subject. Sorry for the interuption.
    I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius; I keep them in a jar under my bed.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    lol what is it?
    Hint: Check my signature...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

vlad total war- new version
    this is titanikal work of many gamers from twcentr.forum

infor here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...c=17611&st=480

coming soon

Is there a list anywhere with all the completed mods? Hunting down mods can be pretty difficult as about the only way to find the completed ones are when the people involved in the mod advertise it.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Topic split, find the RTR discussion here
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=47628

I've played both RTR and SPQR quite a lot, IMHo both are much better than vamilla and both require quite different strategies to win, so I'd try both.

BTW if you're pining for something completely different try Barocca's Samurai Total wars for MTW:VI, it also very interesting.

I'm really looking forward to Sengoku Jidai mod for RTW, and Europa Barborum.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

BTW if you talk about other mods it will be split....