Thread: best space strategy game

Default best space strategy game

whats the consensus out there for the best space strategy game?

by space strategy i don't mean a RTS like starcraft or a tactical game like homeworld, but a game with exploration, different alien cultures, long term technological research, fleet battles etc.
    indeed

Default Re: best space strategy game

Dunno what the consensus is, but Space Empires IV Gold gets my vote. Site (with demo version of the game): http://www.malfador.com/

SE V is currently in beta, so the best may get even better soon!

Master of Orion 2 is supposed to be quite good. Unfortunatly I've never had the chance to play it. Still looking for it in bargain bins occasionally.

Master Of Orion 2 was a very good game (MOO3 was NOT!) How does it compare to Space Empires IV? Are they similar types of games?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stewart Mills

But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
    LORD ACTON

Quite similar, yes. Space Empires is an order of magnitude more complex with zillions of diplomatic and strategic options and makes a fantastic PBEM game, whereas Orion2 wins in the flavor and "soul" department. The Three Kings of space strategies are IMHO:

1) SE IV G: the deepest and most complex, though lacking in eye-candy and spice. Very suitable for a PBEM game with human opponents; SP AI is quite competent, but the races are rather bland, so human beings are useful to create some of the missing flavor. (There are a plenty of fan-made mods though, including the usual StarBabylonTrekWars and other sci-fi settings.)

2) Master of Orion 2: no introduction needed, I hope. The old gold standard of 4X games. Diplomacy is MoO2's most lacking department, and of course the game is already very old. You'll need some tricks to get it working on modern machines. And I'll second sharrukin's warning: do NOT get MoO3!

3) Galactic Civilizations: No tactical combat and no multiplayer, but GalCiv is a damn fine singleplayer game for a somewhat civilizationish experience in space. It has the best interface and most pleasing looks of the three, as well as ample amounts of flavor (it has a plot, sort of. )

Also, both Space Empires V and Galactic Civilizations 2 are in the beta phase right now. Dominions 3 (a fantasy strategy game) should be quite far in development and entering beta soon... looks like this summer will be a true festival for turn-based strategy gamers!

Space Empires IV Gold gets my vote as well. Production values are not great by today's standards, but gameplay should still be very solid, I think (I haven't played it in a while).
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

thanks for the tips fellas. will give the SE IV demo a try.
    indeed

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

What no Homeworld? If you haven't played it stop whatever the hell you are doing and run out to be buy it! I still fire it up from time to time, and after 4 years the graphics still amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    What no Homeworld? If you haven't played it stop whatever the hell you are doing and run out to be buy it! I still fire it up from time to time, and after 4 years the graphics still amaze me!
    Ja, Homeworld is a great game but it's essentially a linear, scripted RTS whereas I this thread is devoted to space strategy games of the empire building '4X' variety. 4X as in eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate!
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)