Thread: What Bonus does Bowyer's Workshop give to Archers? Horsebreeders Guild to Calvary?

Default What Bonus does Bowyer's Workshop give to Archers? Horsebreeders Guild to Calvary?

On the description is says if you build a bowyer's workshop or a horsebreeder's guild that it gives a general improvement in quality to archers and calvary respectively. What type of improvement in quality is it? Like extra attack, morale?

By the way, I have VI.

Thank you very much,

Max

Default Re: What Bonus does Bowyer's Workshop give to Archers? Horsebreeders Guild to Calvary?

It basically means that you can build higher tech units. Some units require a few buildings and different levels for them. Also you may not be able to build the higher tech units until you get to the next age (high or late). Note however the Master type of all unit producers creates units at +1 Valour. Very handy, especially if the province gives the valour bonus too. Turks do very nicely from this kind of teching with bonus's for Armenian Heavies, Turcoman Horse, Jannissary Infantry, Ottoman Infantry and even Assassins.

PS - I love the Turks.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: What Bonus does Bowyer's Workshop give to Archers? Horsebreeders Guild to Calvary?

If you build a bowyers workshop, all archers trained in that province will have a +1 valour bonus (to their attack, defense, and morale). Likewise, if you upgrade the bowyers workshop to a bowmakers' guild in that province, then any archers trained there will have a +2 bonus to their stats. Similarly, a unit that requires a bowyers workshop before it can be trained (such as a ballista crew) will still get a +1 valour bonus if you have the bowmakers guild as well.

By the way, I should mention that the increase to your archers' attack bonus only applies to melee, and not range or accuracy. Yes, it's unfortunate it doesn't improve their actual missile attack, but I've found it can still mean a big difference should they get caught in hand-to-hand combat. Archers with valour 2 or better seem have a far higher survival rate than they would normally.
    Last edited by Martok; 05-08-2005 at 09:22.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Martok, are you playing unpatched or modded? Or only the VI campaign?
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside

Just VI with the 2.01 patch. I haven't gotten around to trying any of the mods yet (although XL looks very tempting).

I was wondering the same thing. . . the only bonus I ever get is +1 Valor from the Master lines of buildings and the province bonuses (never from the Guilds or Workshops).

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Maximus the Meek, if your playing the regular campaign, then read BAD's comment on valour (I can add that one valour gives +1 defense, +1 attack and +2 morale) .

The VI-campaign works different and gives you +2 valour for bowyers workshop/horse breeder (the third (and last) level building for that campaign) and +1 valour for the second level building.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Maximus the Meek, if your playing the regular campaign, then read BAD's comment on valour (I can add that one valour gives +1 defense, +1 attack and +2 morale) .

The VI-campaign works different and gives you +2 valour for bowyers workshop/horse breeder (the third (and last) level building for that campaign) and +1 valour for the second level building.

I'd forgotten about that, but yes you're right. I've always had a hard time remembering that VI is different in that respect. Sorry Maximus, listen to Ironside and ignore me. I'm just going to go back to playing my Mercian campaign now.....

Thank you for your replies. I think the description is a bit misleading then, but it makes sense, I think they could have written it better. I will build up in Genoa to get the +1 valor to my sailors. And save the master horsebreeder for Aragon and my feudal knights

The knight-line doesn't get a bonus from master horse breeder. All other cav (except RK) does though.

Master of Puppets Member bretwalda's Avatar
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Little White Marble

Few questions that came to my mind reading these...

In regular medieval mtw+vi 2.01 how master buildings add valor bonuses? I mean:

master horsebreeder give +1 valor to horsies. Also to horse archer type troops. Do they get bonus for their archery skills? Also is there valor bonus for horse archer types from the master bowyer if it is present in the same province as the master horsebreeder?

Does master spearmaker give bonus to lancer type of cavalry? Do the axe troops receive bonus from the master sword building or from any building?

Any other combination that I did not think of?

This space is for sale. Anybody wanting to advertise little blue pills, pumping body parts or financial services that cost you a fortune may do it here for a small fee instead of packing my mailbox. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    Awright, here is the all_can_crusade_mod. This is v2.
    Magyarország

Quote Originally Posted by bretwalda
    Few questions that came to my mind reading these...

In regular medieval mtw+vi 2.01 how master buildings add valor bonuses? I mean:

master horsebreeder give +1 valor to horsies. Also to horse archer type troops. Do they get bonus for their archery skills? Also is there valor bonus for horse archer types from the master bowyer if it is present in the same province as the master horsebreeder?

Does master spearmaker give bonus to lancer type of cavalry? Do the axe troops receive bonus from the master sword building or from any building?

Any other combination that I did not think of?

Nope I don't think so. I think it's Master Horse Breeder for all the Cavalry units, Master Spearmaker for all the Spear units , Master Swordsmith for all the Sword units and Master Bowyer for all the Archer units. There are probably some exceptions though. However, note that if the unit requires the Master building for it to be build anyway I don't think they get the +1 Valour bonus because of the Master building.

What also confused me was that Varangian Guard was on the spear line and not the sword line. =/

Units only the the +1 master upgrade from one set of buildings, I think it is the first building on their requirement list. Horse archers only get the +1 upgrade from Master Horse Breeder, the Master Bow building doesn't affect them. From this we see that it is much easier to get the +1 master bonus for horses than anything else (26 turns to master horse breeder, an extra 36 more turns for master Spear/bow)

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!