Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41

Thread: 10 year olds on the Pill...

  1. #1
    Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Důn Dčagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Posts
    2,783
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

    "Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

    "For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

  2. #2
    Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Golden Caliphate
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Disgraceful. The very idea of girls that age engaging in sexual activities sends a shiver down my spine.
    The legal age is 16 for a reason. 13 is the absolute limit of sense, but younger than that and it just defies belief.

    A sad sign of the times.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    very sad news, why throw your childhood away?

  4. #4

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Taking the pill dont mean they absolutly engage in sexual activities. When the pill is prescribe at that ages, its most of the times because of health reason. A young girl of ten is better with the pill than with 3-4 days of intense suffering without it.

  5. #5
    Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    6,876

    Angry Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by UglyandHasty
    A young girl of ten is better with the pill than with 3-4 days of intense suffering without it.
    I don’t think you omit “the period” by taking the pill, but then again I am not an expert.
    It could be a precaution... however disturbing that sounds.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-09-2005 at 15:04. Reason: adding quote
    Status Emeritus

  6. #6
    Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Running in circles in the white tower
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    I don’t think you omit “the period” by taking the pill, but then again I am not an expert.
    AKAIK the pill can make it less painful.

  7. #7
    Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Důn Dčagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Posts
    2,783

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    It also said that 1376 girls under 16 were proscribed the Pill, which is roughly 0.1% of the population of Scotland. That's an awful lot if they are getting it just for the pain...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

    "Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

    "For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

  8. #8
    Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.
    Posts
    629

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Oral Contraceptives are basically hormones to prevent the release of the egg. To be precise.

    FSH which is secreted by the pituitary gland and causes an egg to mature in one of the ovaries, and also stimulates the ovaries to produce hormones including oestrogen; oestrogen which are produced by the ovaries and inhibit the further production of FSH as well as stimulating the pituitary gland to produce a hormone called LH; LH stimulates the release of the egg around the middle of the menstrual cycle.

    The 'Pill' is just oestrogen and as periods can be extrememly painfull giving oestrogen inhibits them from even happening.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    AKAIK the pill can make it less painful.

    True, less painful and less severe.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Running in circles in the white tower
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by King Malcolm
    It also said that 1376 girls under 16 were proscribed the Pill, which is roughly 0.1% of the population of Scotland. That's an awful lot if they are getting it just for the pain...
    I also doubt that they are all getting it for that reason. It could be a reason for giving it to the under 10-year olds though (however, this is something that should be checked, IMO)

  11. #11
    Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    6,876

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Clegane
    AKAIK the pill can make it less painful.
    I don't quite know the meaning of your abbrevation, but if you say so.
    Status Emeritus

  12. #12
    Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Running in circles in the white tower
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    I don't quite know the meaning of your abbrevation
    AFAIK = as far as I know

  13. #13
    Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    6,876

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by zelda12
    Oral Contraceptives are basically hormones to prevent the release of the egg. To be precise.

    FSH which is secreted by the pituitary gland and causes an egg to mature in one of the ovaries, and also stimulates the ovaries to produce hormones including oestrogen; oestrogen which are produced by the ovaries and inhibit the further production of FSH as well as stimulating the pituitary gland to produce a hormone called LH; LH stimulates the release of the egg around the middle of the menstrual cycle.

    The 'Pill' is just oestrogen and as periods can be extrememly painfull giving oestrogen inhibits them from even happening.
    Are you sure that women taking the pill is in fact canceling their ovulation altogether and not only controlling them?
    Status Emeritus

  14. #14
    Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.
    Posts
    629

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Oestrogen inhibits the production of FSH which stimulates the production of eggs. No FSH no eggs, which helps with the pain and I think gives a lot less menstruation, though I'm not concrete on that fact.

  15. #15
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    AKAIK the pill can make it less painful.

    AFAIK = as far as I know

    i think i now why sigurd was confused, f and k are quite far apart on the keyboard ??

    anyway back on subject, if its to make periods less severe that seems ok but sexually active 10 year olds is quite creepy, i'd agree with al 13 would be about the limit.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  16. #16
    Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.
    Posts
    7,988

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Just playing Devils's Advocate here-if the ten year old girls are really determined to have sex, surely it would be better to give them the pill to prevent them getting pregnant, no?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

    "Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

    "Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.



  17. #17
    probably bored Member BDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    5,508

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by zelda12
    Oestrogen inhibits the production of FSH which stimulates the production of eggs. No FSH no eggs, which helps with the pain and I think gives a lot less menstruation, though I'm not concrete on that fact.
    I know a few girls who have it for that reason... (why the hell do people tell me these things *mentally scarred*)

    I don't think it's anyone's business, nor does anyone who isn't an expert on this have any right to pass judgement. There is no way you could understand the sort of situation that leads to this I suspect unless you are really involved in this sort of stuff, and then I doubt you would want to speak about it here of all places.

  18. #18
    (Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C
    Posts
    3,277

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Well.... we need a female to explain this.
    Where's Proletariat when you REALLY need her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

  19. #19
    Member Member ah_dut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Just playing Devils's Advocate here-if the ten year old girls are really determined to have sex, surely it would be better to give them the pill to prevent them getting pregnant, no?
    Sorry if this makes me a heartless moron...let them suffer, they deserve to know the consequences of their actions. If you don't have enough control to wait until you're ready ( and I doubt anyone is ready at 10) then you deserve to suffer the consequences. When you have rights, you have responsibilities no?

    The girls that I do know are well...let's just say not monogamous and are on the pill (well some of them anyways) but they're in the main 15-16 so nearly legal anyways...I think they know what they're doing and well let's just say they may suffer the consequences. One of them does take it to relieve period pains afaik...I am also mentally scarred

  20. #20
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Just playing Devils's Advocate here-if the ten year old girls are really determined to have sex, surely it would be better to give them the pill to prevent them getting pregnant, no?
    I'm 100% sure that guys that age don't have sperm. Now I'm not sure but I don't think most girls have periods at that age either. Never has it ever occured that a 10 year has been pregnant. I beleave CNN once reported that the youngest parent ever was a 13 year old male from England. This is a male, so by 12 or 13 the sperm comes out.

  21. #21

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    ( and I doubt anyone is ready at 10)
    Girls/Females (generally) start menstruating/ovulating as early as 10 and as late as 17 (late teens)

    Boys/Males (generally) begin producing sperm between 13 and 17 (sometimes quite late)


    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Never has it ever occured that a 10 year has been pregnant. I beleave CNN once reported that the youngest father ever was a 13 year old male from England. This is a male, so by 12 or 13 the sperm comes out.
    I think I saw a 10-year old girl who was pregnant on BBC news, she might have even been younger.

  22. #22
    Member Member ah_dut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Girls/Females (generally) start menstruating/ovulating as early as 10 and as late as 17 (late teens)
    You misunderstand me...I mean mentally ready. Let alone what getting pregnant at that age would do to your mind

  23. #23

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonArchangel
    Well.... we need a female to explain this.
    Where's Proletariat when you REALLY need her?
    I think I can handle this.

    There are two types of packages of "the pill": ones that come with placebo pills or no pills, and ones that have 28 real pills.

    The first kind, which most women I know take, allow for the woman to have her period during a week where the pills she takes are "placebos" (not really placebos, but they're there to keep her in the habit of taking them everyday at a certain time). There are also packages with no pills to take during the "off" week.

    The second kind has the woman take the pills everyday, regardless, plowing right through the rag week. This may be more convenient for a secually active woman or a woman whose menstrual cramps are still ridiculously painful, despite the regulation offered by the first system of pills. There are serious health issues that the woman risks by taking the pill for too long without having her period, the most common of which being osteoporosis, I believe.

    "The shot" operates like the second type of pill I've described, only that each shot is taken once every three months, and offers an extended period of skipping the period without incurring the same health problems as the pill.

    That being said, a great deal of girls take the pill for menstrual issues, and some have it prescribed to fix acne.

  24. #24
    Time Lord Member The_Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The TARDIS
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    zelda12, Have you done A-Level Biology?

    I remember the lesson when we had to learn about this stuff. The only other guy in the class was off. It was me, 6 girls and a female teacher. Every sentence ended with the words "except for Martyn"
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 05-09-2005 at 22:00.

  25. #25

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    :sigh: This will teach me to be curious about topic titles displayed in the 'last post' section of the board.

    The pill prevents ovulation, provided you take it correctly, of course. That's the main part of the contraceptive effect. It also (usually, not always) makes the periods lighter, and predictable to the very day they start and end. Don't ask me why this lessens period pains (the important information booklet doesn't tell you much) but I'm very happy indeed that it does. IIRC a part of the reason is that the lining (blood to you plebs :winkg) does not attach so tightly to the womb, and so it comes away easier. The pill has this pain lessening effect for most women; it is the first thing most doctors will try if a patient goes to them for help for this. There are other medications, but none so successful, and none with the benefits of predictable and lighter periods.

    If you take one set of 28 pill and then immediately start on the next set without the 7 day break you can skip an entire period. Doctors now recommend this for cases of extreme period pain; tricycling, or taking three packets and then the break, then another three. It doesn't agree with everyone, and you should definitely consult your doctor before doing it, but for those who do get on with it it's very worthwhile. Froggy loves this, muchly.

    Not all pills have the placebo pills; some just have 28 proper pills and you have to remember the break yourself. Actually, that's what the majority of them are like in my experience.

    Different varieties of the pill have slightly different formulas. No one pill works happily for everyone; you have to find one which suits you … at least for the anti pain purposes. Contraceptive is presumably easier.

    A second, but related, medical reason to place someone on the pill is very heavy bleeding. As previously said the pill results in lighter periods. Heavy bleeding might not sound like a valid reason, but it can be.

    I was put on the pill at a young age because I tended to be half dead for two weeks per month; it had nothing to do with contraception, although that would have been many people's first thoughts if they had known. It still would be. Hence it being one of froggy's better kept secrets in real life, only dished out to those who really need to know. The assumption always goes pill = birth control = slut.

    1376 girls under 16 sounds reasonable to me for non-contraceptive purposes. It's a more common problem than you might think, though to varying degrees. Some get hit extremely badly, others less so, but people's pain tolerances differ.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.


  26. #26

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    1376 girls under 16 sounds reasonable to me for non-contraceptive purposes. It's a more common problem than you might think, though to varying degrees. Some get hit extremely badly, others less so, but people's pain tolerances differ.
    I agree. Most of the girls I know take it for the relief. Any sex is kind of a bonus, but there are still plenty of prudes and Christians on the pill.

  27. #27
    Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.
    Posts
    629

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinus
    zelda12, Have you done A-Level Biology?

    I remember the lesson when we had to learn about this stuff. The only other guy in the class was off. It was me, 6 girls and a female teacher. Every sentence ended with the words "except for Martyn"
    I'm just about to take my GCSE's. All the revision I'm doing is filling my head with useless info, this happened to be useful.

  28. #28
    Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.
    Posts
    7,988

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Very mildly related tangent, but if I-a bloke-took the pill, would nothing happen, or would there be weird side-effects, do you think?

    It's just that I've always wanted breasts of my own...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

    "Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

    "Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.



  29. #29
    Ignore the username Member zelda12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Term time: Warwick University Non-term: Somewhere in Sussex.
    Posts
    629

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Absolutely no idea, the hormones probaly do something else but not anything that I know of.

  30. #30

    Default Re: 10 year olds on the Pill...

    Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Very mildly related tangent, but if I-a bloke-took the pill, would nothing happen, or would there be weird side-effects, do you think?

    It's just that I've always wanted breasts of my own...
    I don't know much about that...but I know that if you lose your testicles, you'll probably end up taking hormone supplements, and your body will produce estrogen to keep things balanced, and you will grow boobs. I suppose, then, that an increase of estrogen intake will increase your cup size significantly if you keep it up for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO