Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disturbing Fact Of The Day

Default Re: Disturbing Fact Of The Day

NM.
    Last edited by Productivity; 05-11-2005 at 08:16.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Here here. I actually think America at 1900 was the ideal balance of diplomatic, economic & military focus. We could project power if we had to, but it wasn't what we were known for.
    Apart from business (=trade) the U.S. was also known for its projection of democracy, which was just as important as its trade clout and its projection of military power. For some time after WWII, the three coincided in many ways. Since the 1970's however, projection of power has become more important than the projection of democracy. Around the same time, the U.S. stopped being the main pillar of the international system of trade and finance. That is the moment when the U.S. stopped being the hegemon of the free world. In fact, the triumph of democracy in many nations in the past twenty years was the fruit of internal struggles against tyrants who were often supported by the United States: South Africa, the Philippines, Brazil, Turkey, Taiwan, Uruguay. As someone wrote about 'Iraq' in The New Yorker: 'We can marvel at the power of democratic ideals. Perhaps they can even survive the embrace of George W. Bush.'
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    Apart from business (=trade) the U.S. was also known for its projection of democracy, which was just as important as its trade clout and its projection of military power. For some time after WWII, the three coincided in many ways. Since the 1970's however, projection of power has become more important than the projection of democracy. Around the same time, the U.S. stopped being the main pillar of the international system of trade and finance. That is the moment when the U.S. stopped being the hegemon of the free world. In fact, the triumph of democracy in many nations in the past twenty years was the fruit of internal struggles against tyrants who were often supported by the United States: South Africa, the Philippines, Brazil, Turkey, Taiwan, Uruguay. As someone wrote about 'Iraq' in The New Yorker: 'We can marvel at the power of democratic ideals. Perhaps they can even survive the embrace of George W. Bush.'
    Someone has a Chomsky overload

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Someone has a Chomsky overload
    I don't like Chomsky. And what I wrote has nothing to do with Chomsky. Someone should read up on a subject before judging others...
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    I don't like Chomsky. And what I wrote has nothing to do with Chomsky. Someone should read up on a subject before judging others...
    Owww where's the love, sorry my stigma ran over your dogma geez

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Owww where's the love, sorry my stigma ran over your dogma geez
    Just don't mention the Chomster while I'm around, honey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12