Thread: Anyone Playing the SPQR 3.0 Mod??

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Default Anyone Playing the SPQR 3.0 Mod??

..and if so, what do you think??

Thanks,
    Barkhorn.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Default Re: Anyone Playing the SPQR 3.0 Mod??

It's great! download it and see if you like it.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I've pm;y played RTR, I prefer realism I guess..
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

What is SPQR like? What changes have they made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

It's good, but I had to mod out most of the walls on cities so there aren't any sieges in progress when I save the game, and I turn off fatigue because with the longer fighting times there is too much fatigue.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I will sum it up.

Note: major changes only

1: Kill rates run at 1/3 the pace of vanilla. movement is also slower
    2: cavalry are much weaker
    3: The game is much harder if you play as the romans
    4: troops are trained faster; expect to fight more battles per turn
    5: Battles tend to be harder
    6: Better naval combat(not 3D though...)
    7: at least 50 new provinces have been added
    8:tons of major reskins
    9: new units
    10:Many more changes, see the SPQR read me for more details.

Hope that helped

Well I am playing it right now and I must say I do like it very much, as to what all has be changed I could not even tell you im a noob at such things. You can however read the read me and you should get some ideal…. I will say nonetheless that I do feel the game is a little harder … In the role of realism???? Its a game so how real can you get really...(even look at post here all have a diff view on how History went down or what is important)The point of a Mod is to make the game more fun some do this by meeting the requirements of history other try to enhance game play...I don’t understand all the real part people talk about....but im a noob so perhaps its something I cant understand....It is more harder at start IMO but then how hard can an AI really be...........its like RTW all loved it at first( Me also) then its the worst game CA ever made......The RTR mod had/has the name "realism" in it and I have seem many people say that it is....funny thing what is real and what is not anyway..........I love the Mod SPQR and will perhaps love RTR....but when I here people say real so much it turns me off..........I add other mods to make game play a little more deeper, In the final say all Mods should be looked at if nothing but to spur the makers into making a better mod…..
    All Faith is false all faith is true. Truth is the shattered mirrors strewn In myriad bits; While each believes his little bit the whole to own. From The kasidah of Haji Abu el-Yezdi

i wish i could play it but everytime i try to it just freezes on the splash screen and nothing happens

Angry Re: Anyone Playing the SPQR 3.0 Mod??

It'ìs not true taht SPQR total war is the less historically accurate. I would say that the legionaries are actually much more historical thant the RTR ones.
    It's the only mod which includes historical changes to the officers and bearers and make it more realistic

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLet
    It'ìs not true taht SPQR total war is the less historically accurate. I would say that the legionaries are actually much more historical thant the RTR ones.
    It's the only mod which includes historical changes to the officers and bearers and make it more realistic
    Yes, I agree w/ you - and the gameplay has a better feel than the vanilla - but is not as complex as RTR.

Barkhorn.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Complex as RTR................ Ok you lost me with that one.....can you tell me how it is more complex please???

Im playing SPQR now find it fun to play, but you makeit soundlike its for noobs?...Oh im not saying i am not one, because god knows i am......just would liketo understand what i should be looking at in a mod is all....thanks 4 your help...

Im also lost as to what you guys call more realistiy...( historical changes to the officers and bearers) Is this more realistiy?

Is it just the eye candy people are talking about or what?

How does eye candy make game play better? And what does make game play better......Just need so info..
    Last edited by TheJian; 05-12-2005 at 12:59.
    All Faith is false all faith is true. Truth is the shattered mirrors strewn In myriad bits; While each believes his little bit the whole to own. From The kasidah of Haji Abu el-Yezdi

Member Member Lord Dazed & Confused's Avatar

SPQR is by far my fav mod and once you have finished your current game I suggest you try SPQR with the Mundus_Magnus map its really good also.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Im also lost as to what you guys call more realistiy...( historical changes to the officers and bearers) Is this more realistiy?

Is it just the eye candy people are talking about or what?
    no it;s not just eye candy, remember the unrealistic egypt in Vanilla RTW ?
    Well they have had a complete reskin, so you will not find fake-armored axemen in their army's.
    And you will not find any arcanii in the battle field when fighting the Romans.

Also part 2 about the realism, is that it starts in the year 280 BC , meaning that the Romans have Pyrrus on their backs right from the word go.
    It;s now actually a challange, playing as the Romans
    And I believe Carthage was beefed up a little too, as in units and in settlements. And the greeks have been powerd up a little too, jsut like a lot of other factions.
    I have no idea what the SPQR map looks like, but the realism map is really much better and bigger than the vanilla map.

I would recommend trying RTR gives you more challange than the original game.

I don't hate SPQR it's just that I don't like the 0 build time Idea ( as I have heard is the build time for most infantry )
    However I am gonna give SPQR a try, just to now if it's any good

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Let me know what you think?

P.S. SPQR also removed arcani, wardogs, etc. I changed Head thowers though to infantry that throw heads once or twice then attack! I thought that was a nice touch. RTR has a much bigger map, but I prefer the small map since the mod is designed around ROME.

I think you'll like it, the 0 build time isnt that bad, and is needed in SPQR.
    LT_1956 Creator of SPQR: Total War

SPQR:TW Mod forums

Very good job lt1956.....I think you did a very nice jod...

Thanks Dutch_guy now i understand a little bit more

Ok can i get some help......I want to use Mundus Magnus map mod, GAFHMod, and SPQR3.1 but cat get them to work right.... Anyone else have SPQR and MM working at same time?

The MM Mod does not really work correct for SPQR IMO, but some people have gotten it to work, but I am sure there are bugs in it by doing so. Over in the SPQR forum at TWC there are a couple people that can help you on how they got it to work.
    LT_1956 Creator of SPQR: Total War

SPQR:TW Mod forums

Thanks i will just hold on to see what you come up with..........I love the interview you did i will follow all your work keep up the good job...As you see i looking 4 the new mod you got coming out