Thread: Any good tycoon games out there

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Any good tycoon games out there

I started playing RT3, railroad tycoon3 again for a short little while. I used to enjoy the game but it lost its playability for me. I know thier's Chris Sawyers lococommotion wich I've heard some good things about. Also thiers Industry giant but heard too many bad reviews of Jowood(out of business now) although from thier website the game did'nt seem too bad.

Well anyways any good reccomendations.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Default Re: Any good tycoon games out there

Port Royale I. It's a trading SIM with sea battles. The strategy map is 2d but the sea battle is sort of 3d with fixed camera. I haven't played PR II yet but you can only control a single ship at a time there (during battles, instead of 10), that's the downside to many players.

Sixty Towns to trade, many missions, and you can automize if you want. You can be a pirate, bucanneer, or trader or all. It is very polished

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

I have played port royale 1 and have to tweak my video card just to play that game. I liked it while I played it. I played the demo of Port Royale II, it has a completely new battle engine or a greatly enhanced version from the first. Unfortanately it brought a long with it only a slightly different economy from the first. What's horrible about the economy is that if too many towns are doing good you will eventually have a crash of the market, actually not a crash but supplies will be so short everywhere, easy profits can be made. Unfortanately they changed the graphics but left too much of the old gameplay in it, IMO.

RT3 had quite a unique economy. Where eventually the whole market becomes saturated since the rails were servicing the industries. So a saturated market = low prices.
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Zoo Tycoon, the original, not ZT2.
    And I concur with Port Royale. Absolutely lovely game (and much better than Sid Meier's Pirates Gold). At least in PR, your crew doesnt mutiny if they have been at sea for awhile, unlike Pirates.

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Default Re : Any good tycoon games out there

RRT3's economic engine is really incredibly excellent. A shame the fun of designing railways vanished compared to RRT2...

Port Royale is rather good, but the limitations to the number of fleets you can field is annoying when you're playing a pure trade game - unless Patrician3 where you can field unlimited fleets & model the economy to your wish.
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Wow, I didn't realize that Port Royale was quite popular.

The supply and demand in PR I does make sense. It is only separate per town, because each and everyone is supposedly isolated from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by el_slapper
    Port Royale is rather good, but the limitations to the number of fleets you can field is annoying when you're playing a pure trade game
    Twenty convoys is more than enough to cover the whole area though. The key is to divide the map into self-sustaining spheres, so the ships won't have to cover large distances.

I'm a pure trader myself and my trade convoys only number 9-11.

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

I usually keep my fleets numbering in the low 3-5. With these routes, I can make a fortune with a small convoy

So, which one is better? PR 1 or PR 2? Or should I keep playing Patrician 3?

I am currently playing P3. I have no plan of giving it up yet. However, I plan to give PR a try. I played the PR 2 demo and it looks good.

id stick with patrician, not that port royale isn't good, but i don't think its worth paying for when you already have patrician.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccol˛ Machiavelli.