Thread: Faction leaders/kings need more punch

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Faction leaders/kings need more punch

Faction leaders/kings IMO should have vices and virtues that effect the overall strategy map and battles they do not participate in. Not just the city/ battle they are in.

Empires feasted or famined, conquered or defeated, the humiliator or the humiliated and quite often due to the actions/competence of 1 man determined the future of thier empire or the strength of it.

Since command stars effect battles, faction leaders should also effect battlefield stats.

So you could be romping all over the place with your faction with a leader that has the trait of financial genius and maybe a trait in smith that gives bonus defense to all medium troops or higher.

The next in line could be corrupt and bleeds your treasury dry or even worse is so corrupt buys a lower quality equipment for troops on the field just to pinch the extra penny, and that money saved you won't see because it's busy lining your leaders pocket.

Also when the faction heir takes over should determine how well the empire stays together. Such as a faction heir low on influence but has the trait of heartless ruler can still maintain the empire due to fear.

This is one feature the game is greatly missing, since once you have the A.I. on it's knees it's there for good. Just imagine having The Selucids on thier knees and the new faction leader has a trait (cunning) where he can pay troops at half price, and has other traits that boost the economy. And they are a sudden recovering powerhouse. Then on top of that imagine a loser taking the new posotion for your faction.

Also to make it costly to suicide your leader, There could be features that theres a chance he'll be captured and should you refuse the ransom could cause a civil war that leaves you off even worse than before or a civil war if the hier is young or incompetent. Also how long a faction hier has been appointed should have an effect, where one that has been in that position for 20 years can be well prepared and unlikely to meet any resistance to his new position. Unlike 1 that just got appointed 6 months ago and there is resentment for not being picked

That's another thing in MTW you could only capture a king if he was routing. Everytime your general lose a HP, there should be a chance he is captured(dismounted).

Ack and I meant this to be a short post

Anyways my point is Faction leaders/kings need more punch or less punch for that matter
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Default Re: Faction leaders/kings need more punch

I like this idea. Although governors had more powerful being more immediately available, I do feel that you need to do this. That way, there will be more reason to choose your heir, disinheriting the unsuitable ones, than there is already now. Maybe the game could, instead of automatically assigning the heirship to the next oldest (or however they choose the heir), they ask you for a choice, which you can postpone. Then, if your leader dies without an heir there could be some civil war/public order penalty/splitting of the faction due to it being leaderless. This will only stop say 2-3 turns after you choose a leader, since he has to reestablish continuity. It would certainly add a new dimension to the game.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I agree with all the above...though it could be frustrating and should be a feature that beginners could turn off.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

something like the option to shut the %&@%*ing annoying advisor up, yes.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    something like the option to shut the %&@%*ing annoying advisor up, yes.
    There's already an option to shut off the advisor completely. Just press Escape in the strategic map.

nay quietus, you misunderstand, haha ^_^... I meant it would be good to have the leader trait's influence on the faction turned off like the way the advisor can be turned off now :-D I have advisor completely muted, so victoria and marcus don't even appear ;-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

great, it's ******* brilliant

We do not sow.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    nay quietus, you misunderstand, haha ^_^... I meant it would be good to have the leader trait's influence on the faction turned off like the way the advisor can be turned off now :-D I have advisor completely muted, so victoria and marcus don't even appear ;-)
    hahahahahaha me too

We do not sow.