Thread: What was your longest campaign?

Default What was your longest campaign?

I am just curious about this topic , because it seemes very hard to me to have campaign longer than 100 - 150 years.
    P.S. I remember MTW times when you hardly had enough time to finish global conquest if you started in the latest period , now you must be VERY lazy not to conquer the world up to 14 B.C. !!!!!!!!!

Default Re: What was your longest campaign?

I think it goes to 5 A.D. My longest was up to 178bc, then it burnt out, just before I went for Italy and the Aegean. I was Egypt.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Playing RTR I once played a game to the end as the Pontic. I just secured Asia Minor, fortified the passes to the Levant. Initially I took all neighbouring rebel provinces and the once held by Ptolemy including Crete, Rhodes and Cyprus. Quite nice, but sometimes a bit boring, to play a strictly defensive campaign. I also managed to bring Sarmatia, Armenia and Seleucia into protectorates. Ofcourse I lost the game since I didn┤t hold enough provinces but it was educating.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

my longest was till 140 but i'd won the game by than but i didn't conquered rome yet. (just to torture the senate)

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

My longest game was till 46bc. It's still going on, i play it whenever i am bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Well , maybe I just lack patince , maybe I will try to play longer in my current Greek Cities campaign.
    And one more question : are there many events after 150 B.C. ?????

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Nope. From my knowledge, there are 0, none, kaput, zilch events after 150 b.c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Not cool , as far as I remember MTW was full of events.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

I got to about 230bc with my Seleucid campaign, by which time I'd conquered Asia minor, Africa, and half of the Greek peninsula, and I took control of northern Italy, splitting Julii's control of regions into two parts, and preventing them from protecting the Senate. Nothing the Romans could throw at me could defeat me, and all the other factions were close to extinction. Only a mini-campaign to save the last Gaul lands from the Julii was adding length to the campaign. For victory I only needed to pull a few units in from Asia and Greece and send them into the last few Roman terrorities around Rome itself. The campaign was pretty pointless by that stage because as soon as you become wealthy and powerful as the Seleucids, you've practically won by default.

I had a German campaign last until about 170bc, but only because I started with a bucketload of cash and hibernated in Hibernia for about 60 years before moving 50,000+ barbarians across the seas into the Roman heartland.

Sadly with RTW, the best challenges lie at the start, and once you knock out your neighbours, you can often start to pick off your enemies at will, so I've never stuck with many campaigns after the first 40 years or so.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

I rarely break 200bc, and have never gone past 150bc

The game is a foregone conclusion after the first 20 or 30 years
    robotica erotica

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

what difficulties do you all play on? maybe you should try some mods like rome total realsim etc.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

VH level usually or H. But as long as you can survive the initial onslaught during the opening 20-30 years and secure yourself one or two additional profitable settlements, the challenge drops. Barbarians probably have the hardest continual campaign as their units are limited and they struggle to maintain order in large and huge cities. I had a couple of potential tough and interesting campaigns but found myself bored with the game, thus chose to mod it myself.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

In my opinion the only way to get to 14 B.C. is to concetrate on city development , leaving several hardly alive enemies , and just to click the " End Turn " button every time you can.
    Usually I play on VH/M , VH/VH , some time ago I played M/M , long time ago I played E/E or E/M ( I don't remember ). Anyway real challenge only in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    In my opinion the only way to get to 14 B.C. is to concetrate on city development....
    Yep, there's too much easy denari in the game, a player can throw army after army. Anyway, I build basically everything, in every town.

The EB map looks gigantic. That's the kind of map I'm hankering on conquering.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    Lesbian Rebel
    bearded lesbian rebel!
    Last edited by Quietus; 05-15-2005 at 08:18.

You should try some modding!

For example in my campaign, the AI seleucids have taken all of Egypt and Parthia, and are currently invading Pontus.
    I`m playing Scythia, so all those elephants an pikemen might turn out to be quite challenging.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

General of the Empire Member Aegisthis The Infantryman's Avatar
    In the land of Selucia... or just my house.

I was the Seleucids and when I completed it it was roughly 150 BC. I think it only goes a few years past the birth of christ.
    Aegisthis
    Men Can die, Gods cannot.

Any fresh options?

i did one campaign where i conqured every region bar rome as carthage, i left rome as rebel and then caputured it at the end, i cant remember the year but there was loads of time left! it was quite challengeing realy because i had loads of settlements trying to rebel.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

It was RTR 6.0 and it was the Romans against the poltemics (Sp) so many good men lost
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Probably my current campaign as Egypt could take a while. Purely because I've been churning out so many land army units my navy is extremely weak, to the extent if I was to attempt to land an invasion force at Rome I would be picked off at sea. So I'm going to have to take all the provinces ranging from Scythia to Rome. I'm am however in a commanding position to get the 50 provinces, taking Rome is just going to take a while longer. I'll have to contend with over-expanding most likely. I'm still not whether or not to cut a path to Rome province by province, and thus starting many wars and be sieged regularly, or to to it the slow but more efficent way of taking out faction after faction on my way to rome.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

The second campaign I played after I'd completed the prequisite Roman campaign first was with the Seleucids. It'd have probably gotten rather more challanging soon after the point I got to - I'd have soon started to butt heads with the Brutii, as well as getting some of the high-end units to the field - but then one of those early patches up and invalidated the save...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Urban Cohort Fanatic Member Lanemerkel1's Avatar

I went to 138 BC and still hadn't conquered carthage yet as the scipii

Quote Originally Posted by strike for the south
    If I werent playing games Id be killing small anamils at a higher rate than I am now