Poll: Do you beleave in God?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 226

Thread: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

  1. #1
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I'm doing a poll to find out how many atheists we have among us. Ok so this is optional, you don't have to vote and it's confidential so vote as you please.

    EDIT: SO far the Chrsitians are winning.
    Last edited by Byzantine Prince; 05-14-2005 at 18:34.

  2. #2
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    SO far the Chrsitians are winning.
    Is god only 'Chrsitian' for purposes of this poll?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

  3. #3
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    Is god only 'Chrsitian' for purposes of this poll?
    I beleave so.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

  4. #4
    Banned Snowhobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Stockholm Sweden
    Posts
    1,912

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I don't believe in God but I'm not an atheist either, I'm agnostic

  5. #5
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Yey, the Atheists are in the lead!


    Is god only 'Chrsitian' for purposes of this poll?
    I've only ever seen 3 muslims that post here and I haven't seen them on so I presumed the rest were Christian since the majority of people that come here are from North America and Europe.

  6. #6
    Member Member ah_dut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    2,292

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I believe in a God, more specifically an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent God...with strange reasons for making us all

  7. #7
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    I believe in a God, more specifically an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent God...with strange reasons for making us all
    He may have existed, but if he did I'm sure he killed himself over us.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I'm an Atheist, but not Agnostic.


  9. #9

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    If you are making this poll about the Christian God only, then the results will be much different than if you make it about an all powerful spirit..

  10. #10
    Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Holland.
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I Don't believe in god
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD


  11. #11
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I made it for everyone. Every god. Even Buddha.

  12. #12
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianII
    I beleave so.
    :snicker:
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

  13. #13
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I made it for everyone. Every god. Even Buddha.
    So why did you say the Chrsitians were winning? If I had known that this poll included Bebekung Mampa Hoonanooga, I'd of course have voted 'yes'.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

  14. #14
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    And in the last 'Pope' thread BP declared himself his own god, so one assumes he voted "yes".
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

  15. #15
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    The poll itself doesn't specify which religion. It simply asks weather you beleave in a god or not.

    The Christisn thing was just an assumption I made about who might have voted, it's irrelevent to the poll!

    And in the last 'Pope' thread BP declared himself his own god, so one assumes he voted "yes".
    I'm not god yet.

  16. #16
    MOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Member Idomeneas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The land of the gods
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Somebody had to be there to turn the key and start the engine of creation (not the Joe Satriani album).

    I think we dont even know ourselves, its hard to determine if there is a god or not. I believe in god. I dont believe in church-company that exploits relligion. I dont believe that god has to be my babysitter or personal gini(sp?).

    I know alot of unfair things happen in the world but as my people say:along with Athena move your hand also. Meanning dont expect everything from above.
    μηνιν αειδε θεα Πηληιαδεω Αχιληοs ουλομενην

  17. #17
    Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Posts
    2,783

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    What about agnostics?! Ohh well, no possibly, so I'll have to say yes...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

    "Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

    "For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

  18. #18

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    I'm not god yet.
    What's taking so long?

    I assume that the poll asks if there is a god who is not me, so I'll have to vote no.

  19. #19
    Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    6,876

    Wink Re: Do you be-leave in God...

    Yes, I think we should beleave God. There is no way we can know for sure. Hence agnosticism is the only logical choice.
    Status Emeritus

  20. #20
    Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Agnosticism is a form of atheism. You don't know for sure weather god exists, correct?

    Well if you are skeptic that means that your brain knows that there is no god but the futility and meaninglessness of the world bend your will to saying: "well maybe he does exist since without him the world is meaningless". So deep in your logical part of the brain you KNOW, you are 100%, god does not exist, but in your emotional part you think he does. You are split because you haven't considered other options


    Well maybe the world is MEANT to be random and meaningless. Maybe THAT is the meaning of it.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Agnosticism is a form of atheism. You don't know for sure weather god exists, correct?

    Well if you are skeptic that means that your brain knows that there is no god but the futility and meaninglessness of the world bend your will to saying: "well maybe he does exist since without him the world is meaningless". So deep in your logical part of the brain you KNOW, you are 100%, god does not exist, but in your emotional part you think he does. You are split because you haven't considered other options
    Assumption alert. How do you know how all Agnostics think?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I believe in God.

  23. #23
    RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,545

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I believe in God and I believe he has a wonderful sense of humor, that's why BP is here.
    RIP Tosa

  24. #24
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    I believe in God and I believe he has a wonderful sense of humor, that's why BP is here.
    The 'yays' are gaining on the 'nays'.. Quick, somebody, redefine the premises!
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

  25. #25
    boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    OB
    Posts
    3,752

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    i voted "no". i'm kind of an apathetic atheist. i don't care whether there is a god(s) or not.. but if i had to pick for some reason, i'm definitely in the nay camp until i see a miracle or something.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

  26. #26
    Member Member Skomatth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Kenchikuka Kitchen
    Posts
    782

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by ah_dut
    I believe in a God, more specifically an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent God...with strange reasons for making us all
    How did you determine that God possess these characteristics? I for one find them quite irreconcilable. Take for one God's supposed omnipotence, omniscience and benevolence (or more typically called his perfect goodness IIRC). Then the Argument from Evil is quite easy to make.

    (1) If God exists then he is omniscient, omnipotent and perfectly good.
    (2) If God were omniscient, omnipotent and perfectly good then the world would not contain evil.
    (3) The world contains evil.
    Therefore:
    (4) It is not the case that God exists.
    Take off your pants, baby. -Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

  27. #27
    Banned Snowhobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Stockholm Sweden
    Posts
    1,912

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine Prince
    Agnosticism is a form of atheism. You don't know for sure weather god exists, correct?

    Well if you are skeptic that means that your brain knows that there is no god but the futility and meaninglessness of the world bend your will to saying: "well maybe he does exist since without him the world is meaningless". So deep in your logical part of the brain you KNOW, you are 100%, god does not exist, but in your emotional part you think he does. You are split because you haven't considered other options


    Well maybe the world is MEANT to be random and meaningless. Maybe THAT is the meaning of it.
    I don't "beleave" in God simply because I'm not sure if he exists, it can't really be proven that he doesn't exist hence it is reasonable to doubt his existence. I don't mix in any emotions, my belief has nothing to do with conceiving the world to be meaningless, infact I don't perceive the world as meaningless...

  28. #28

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    I believe that God has evil in the world because there has to be a balance of good and evil. Life would be rather boring if evil did not exist.

  29. #29
    boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    OB
    Posts
    3,752

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Skomatth, does one have to deterime the characteristics of a thing to believe in it? (not a rhtorical question, btw)

    other than that, how do you justify (2) and (3)? why would "the world" be deviod of evil if such a god existed? and how do you know "evil" exists in the world?
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

  30. #30
    A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,748

    Default Re: Do you beleave in God(Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_John
    i voted "no". i'm kind of an apathetic atheist. i don't care whether there is a god(s) or not..
    Funny, that goes for me too, only I feel I am forced to care because religion is still such a big deal in today's world. Sometimes I catch myself looking at religious services or processions the way we watch tv history programmes about funny aviation concepts that never made it into the sky. Know what I mean?

    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO