Thread: Boredom

Default Boredom

Hey, as much as I love both RTW and RTR, I am curious if anyone else runs into the same wall I do.

I have had lots of fun playing as Macedon, the Seleucids, Carthage and Armenia, but I have NOT ONCE finished a full 50 territory campaign. I just get bored. Once I reach critical mass, the @#*@$ micro-managment and idiot battles just get to be too much for me to manage an empire that (right now anyway) spans all of Asia Minor, and just keeps going south and west.

I just like a challange (see the list of who I use), but man, once I get to a certain point, nothing can match me.

That happen for anyone else, with the same feelings attached?

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: Boredom

Happens to the best of us. Once your borders and heartlands are secure and you remove a few rival factions, what is there is stop you ? It's not like you have to adapt your army over time, because you pretty much have the same force throughout the campaign, which you already used to achieve victory after victory earlier. No civil wars or massive events to worry about either.

I reached 42 regions once, but after that, I tend to restart after 30-40 years. It's actually been months since my last campaign effort. My campaign game is in an unplayable state. I'm hoping when I finish modding it'll add some interest to the campaign beyond the 30 year point, where interest begins to wane.

The add-on sounds a bit more interesting campaign wise, but then again, if it turns out to be nothing but more than the same, I shall weep before playing something else instead. Minesweeper perhaps.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

the problem is that, unlike MTW other factions are not aggressive.

once you become basically one of the top3 countries (especially when you become the strongest) nothing much stands in your way. you just plough through everything.

in MTW, you were liable to take a pounding, or lose half your territory all the way to the end.

i was playing as hungary, getting quite strong, took most of russia, good portion of the middle east, and expanding westward, took all of italy, some islands, starting to fight against germany, france and england. mongols invaded, held them off (pwned them actually) by then i was at least top 3, and got pretty much all of italy taken back by someone, lost ALOT of territory to turkey, and i couldnt withstand the onslaught of france and germany. i beat them back, but boy was it some tough (and fun) gaming

Try SPQR - the units building in one turn tend to make the enemy more aggressive due to a surplas of units
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

But does the AI actually take advantage of the 0 build time ? Unless it queues up units, which being an AI and able to recalculate unit building priorities each turn, probably doesn't, does it actually know it can recruit 9 units per city per turn? I've used the 0 build time in my game for quite a long while, but never noticed the AI take advantage of it. I resorted to counting up all its units with FOW off and there were no sudden huge increases in unit numbers. Admitedly I only checked a couple of factions and for a few turns, but even in longer campaigns there were never masses of units produced suddenly. I wish there were though, that would have made things more interesting.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

I find there are - the gauls have about 4 full stacks of campaign/defense armies, and practacally every town is full (except for the one that just had their king in it - had because of assassains :) )
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

I recomend you to see the Armania thread , Katank's post with BIG screenshot.

Could you link that...katank hasn't posted in the armenia thread :puzzled:

Are you talking about the 242 bc world domination? That screenshot was posted by Maltz It is the most impressive screenshot I have ever seen.

Oh , yes it was Maltz's screenshot!

haha, for me the fun lasts till about 50 provinces, but only because I have my campaign recorded in my notebooks. So I actually see it as my empire. But, hell, now I can see why Augustus did not want to conquer any more land.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Member Member itsgottabeworthatry's Avatar

The only factions I consider worth playing the whole Imperial campaign with are the romans, then you have the civil war, and that's lots of fun! Although of course it is fun to play through the Imperial campaign as a non-roman faction if the romans have grown huge and powerful empires. Alas, that is not always the case.
    The word that has heralded progress throughout the ages: "It's gotta be worth a try..."

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    But, hell, now I can see why Augustus did not want to conquer any more land.
    I can't see why he didn't want any more land. He would have wanted more land because he reaps the reward for empire building. What do we get after forging a massive empire? Just the self-satisfaction of another completed campaign.

Do the Romans ever start a civil war when you play another faction e.g. Gaul?

I dont know i think they do. I allways destroy Rome before i get to it if im not Rome itself.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Azi Tohak
    Hey, as much as I love both RTW and RTR, I am curious if anyone else runs into the same wall I do. I just get bored. Once I reach critical mass, the @#*@$ micro-managment and idiot battles just get to be too much for me to manage an empire that (right now anyway) spans all of Asia Minor, and just keeps going south and west.
    I just like a challange (see the list of who I use), but man, once I get to a certain point, nothing can match me.
    That happen for anyone else, with the same feelings attached?
    Azi
    Azi,
    I know that feeling man. You seem to be a conquer-all-provs-kinda-guy am I right? If so try a different approach - roleplay your faction according to history or other parameters.
    Ex: As the Carthaginians I tend to play it according to the history when it comes to all other factions other than the Romans. Now here is where I reverse history and make the Romans and the Senate protectorates of Carthage and if they don┤t succumb I march an ele-army across the alps and sack all Italy, not Rome and not keeping any settlements. I keep my peace with the Numidians and skirmish the Iberians, like Hannibal.
    Another approach than the-conquer-all-provs are to accumulate protectorates since their lands counts as yours to reach that 50 provs target and then simply take Rome to finnish off the game. I remember an apic game as the Britons where I subdued Iberia, Gaul and Germania as protectorates before marching on Rome.
    Have you ever played a purely defensive game, not expanding outside your original territory? Try it, it┤s a true challenge since the AI will be in charge and you can only respond and defend.