Thread: World Conquest, Grand Achievements and.. Conversion.

Default World Conquest, Grand Achievements and.. Conversion.

An idea for another type of campaign, the aim is to convert everyone to your relgion, from easiest to hardest.

Catholicism - The pope's on your side, you only have to conquer around half the map and you get crusades.

Islam/Orthodox Christianity - Easy if you are the byzantines in the early medieval campaign, practically just another conquest game, except you need to train hundreds of priests.. Muslims have more allies, but still have a lot to conquer and if you get stuck somewhere you can always launch a jihad. In both cases you will need to train alot of priests and imams.

Paganism - On Viking Invasion, as the vikings. This is hard as you have to convert your provinces to paganism before you conquer another one otherwise the Vikings turn catholic.

What do you think?

Default Re: World Conquest, Grand Achievements and.. Conversion.

I've often played my campaigns with that as a kind of secondary goal. In my only campaign with the Vikings I was for example quite careful to eliminate Christianity from all my lands.

I haven't played the Viking Age campaign long enough to know the conditions for a Viking Christianization - is there a set percentage of their population that needs to be Christian or how does it work? I knew about the possibility however, so in one game as the Irish I decided to explore that and set a secondary campaign goal of making the Vikings Christian.

Anyway I'm currently playing the ultimate religion game - as the Pope I'm busy converting the whole world to Catholicism and promoting crusades. This is a non-expansionist game of course, I only conquered Naples and Sicily after a Sicilian attack on my lands, plus have bribed a few mediterranean islands from rebels. It's surprising how much you can still affect the game using only agents though (blessed be the inquisitors...)

I'm posting screenshots and a little story of the game on another thread though ("stories and pics of your empire" something like that) so check it out

Ok, looks like you conquerred Italy. I don't have much internet time left and I went to the pics and history thread first so have to go.

8(

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

In order for the vikings to be converted to catholicism, 80% of the population has to be catholic....Then they can't build any more pagan stuff... So when I play, I always construct Pagan Sacrificial Shrines and other pagan stuff.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Weird, never happened to me. But then, it's quite natural for me to build shrines for the cheap morale bonus it provides.

The problem with conversion is that a 100% conversion rate most often require conquest, since religious buildings and other religious agents will always be an obstacle. However, just attacking other religions is an interesting way to play, and I've done it quite a lot of times. Though, you've got to be prepared to defend your borders from your brethren who don't necessarily like your effort.

EDIT

Additionally, many mods add more factions, and many of those with the Mongols as a playable faction gives you shamans who enable your own pagan Europe! :)
    Last edited by lilljonas; 05-16-2005 at 13:10.
    G˘tt mos, Lennart.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

BKB's Super Mod 2.0 adds pagan units and buildings...The Lithuanins and the Samogitians in the Middle Ages were the last 2 nations in Europe to be pagan..... Download it, it's a great mod!

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?