Thread: Patches

Default Patches

Hello,

Untill now I always ignored the patches for RTW, but now I'm considering downloading them anyway. Since I'm not much of a computer wizzkid, can anyone answer these few questions for me? It would be much appeciated!

1. Do I need patch 1.1 to get 1.2?
    2. Do any of the mods which can be found here need the patches?
    3. In general, am I better off with or without the patches?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Brutus; 05-16-2005 at 19:03.

Default Re: Patches

The v1.1 is not needed. You might want to make a copy of your v1.0 folder tree because you cannot uninstall v1.2 or install it more than once unless you edit your registry. The v1.2 patch fixed many problems; many of which are not mentioned in the readme. It introduced a few new problems, but they can be fixed by using a mod. The battle difficulty bug requires a specific mod to fix that. I think all the mods have been updated to work with v1.2, and I would say the game is better with the patch as long as you use the mods which fix the new bugs.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Thanks Puzz3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    The battle difficulty bug requires a specific mod to fix that.
    Please explain how the battle difficulty bug works and where I can get a mod. This has been driving me nuts, in fact, it's the reason I registered here.

thanks in advance.

Also, is there any way to fix the load game/forgetful Ai bug? Where the AI ends its sieges when you load a game? It seems like something that wouldn't be TOO hard to fix (maybe just a failure to save an "intention" variable or something into a save game, I don't know much about how RTW works). I'm sticking with 1.1 until someone creates a mod to fix this issue, because otherwise it wouldn't be worth it patching to 1.2. Obviously I still have the save/load problem in 1.1, but I would assume any mod fixing this issue would require 1.2 to work, and 1.2 still has other bugs I'd like to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan11088
    Also, is there any way to fix the load game/forgetful Ai bug? Where the AI ends its sieges when you load a game? It seems like something that wouldn't be TOO hard to fix (maybe just a failure to save an "intention" variable or something into a save game, I don't know much about how RTW works). I'm sticking with 1.1 until someone creates a mod to fix this issue, because otherwise it wouldn't be worth it patching to 1.2. Obviously I still have the save/load problem in 1.1, but I would assume any mod fixing this issue would require 1.2 to work, and 1.2 still has other bugs I'd like to avoid.
    CA issued a statement saying that this is not a bug, but the ai re-assesses its deployment of armies and thinks that they could be used elsewhere. They also said it doesn't happen 100% of the time, and that's the case imo.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan11088
    i have a suspicion it might be tougher to fix...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...c=29573&st=173

the ludus magna thread, investigating the issue most in depth, is here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45860

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    CA issued a statement saying that this is not a bug, but the ai re-assesses its deployment of armies and thinks that they could be used elsewhere. They also said it doesn't happen 100% of the time, and that's the case imo.
    the "not happen 100% of the time" is a half-truth. it has been established from very early on that the bug will not affect sieges where the AI intends to starve the city out for x number of turns (x being the number of turns a settlement can hold out, depending on the tech level of walls built). other than that, however, the ludus magna thread (above) should show quite conclusively that in all other cases, it IS INDEED 100%
    Last edited by tai4ji2x; 05-18-2005 at 10:40.

rowan11088 - there is little reason to stay with 1.1. the loadgame bug can't be modded out, but the majority of bugs introduced with 1.2 can be, or at least lessened greatly. the fixes far outweigh any new bugs.

If you hibernate your computer instead of saving the game you will avoid this AI siege problem.

If you hibernate your computer instead of saving the game you will avoid this AI siege problem.
    rofl i don't just use the computer for rtw!!!!!!!!!!
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Yeah I thinks you should get the 1.2 patch too; however, some patch like the unlimited cheat won't work.

BTW I have uninstall my vanilla with 1.2 and now I can't get it to install again any advices on how to edit the registry?
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!