Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3, hmmm wow

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default PS3, hmmm wow

Image from Killzone2, gamespot has a movie that you really have to see. It looks pretty amazing.

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

Default Re: PS3, hmmm wow

Im wondering if these next generation Consoles are going to be the death of PC gaiming? that is an impressive screen shot!
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward
    Im wondering if these next generation Consoles are going to be the death of PC gaiming? that is an impressive screen shot!
    PC will always be a step ahead, but I don't see what we really need beyond this graphically.

I agree frag. But when you can buy a Consol for £150-£200 and get graphics that good is it really worth paying £1000+ for an up to date PC?

if you ask me, i was happy with my mega-drive graphics, and then with my playstation graphics, and then with my ps2 graphics, i don't get this drive for better graphics when we can already portray everything quite accurately.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Flightsims will never have any depth on consoles so it's PC all the way for us prop-heads.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by dessa14
    if you ask me, i was happy with my mega-drive graphics, and then with my playstation graphics, and then with my ps2 graphics, i don't get this drive for better graphics when we can already portray everything quite accurately.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    It isn't the most important thing but I like to be awed, look at resident evil 4. These amazing graphics are part of the atmosphere, it just looks real at times. And the ps3 will be backward compatible, so you can still play your ps1 and ps2 titles. If they don't try to sell it for the rediculous amount of money they asked for the ps2, I am so getting it. Twice the raw power of the xbox360, it will be amazing.

Yep im going to go PS 3 over X360 as well My PS2 is on its last legs anyway so might aw well be able to play all the games i have already paid for!

well i refuse to buy the XBOX, based on the fact that its a piece of rubbish, and that its microsoft and has rubbish games.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by dessa14
    well i refuse to buy the XBOX, based on the fact that its a piece of rubbish, and that its microsoft and has rubbish games.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    Why is xbox rubbish? It is the most powerful console. It doesn't look as sexy as the gamecube or the ps2, and when I you turn it on I worry it will lift of and fly away but it has Ninja Gaiden damnit

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

PC games will exist long into the future. Consoles lack the ability to support RTS styled games, or games of somewhat similar style (Total War for instance), classical strategy (HOI) and proper fast paced FPS games, not to mention the flight sims.
    The day they actually make a keyboard and perhaps a mouse to consoles, that will be the death of PC games.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    The day they actually make a keyboard and perhaps a mouse to consoles, that will be the death of PC games.
    My son bought a cable that lets him attach a mouse and keyboard to his XBox a few days ago.

Nevertheless, I think PC gaming is here for the foreseeable future.

For one thing, console developers never seem interested in a niche market like hard core flight sims or wargames.

Consoles may be cheaper than PCs but every console fan I know needs more than one console to play all of the games they want to play. So the cost is not as different as it may seem.

Consoles do exactly one thing better than PCs. They can handle offline multiplayer games with players in the same room. This is fun for martial arts and FPS games and especially great for sports games.

Anything else can be done much better on a PC.

And then there is the whole mod issue. Consoles need not apply.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

A game like RTW, MTW and STW would not be as good on a console. Consoles are only really good for shoot 'em ups, beat 'em ups, other such war games and RPGs. It gives more of a one-to-one feel.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Bit if there was a good Mouse/Keyboard setup the games like TW would be fine on a high powered consol like these.

I agree with Nelson about the modding issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward
    I agree frag. But when you can buy a Consol for £150-£200 and get graphics that good is it really worth paying £1000+ for an up to date PC?
    If you only use your PC for games, this is true, however I think it will be a long time before consoles catch up the versatility of a PC, and while there is a PC market, there will be PC games. Part of the ease of programming consoles (and thus the lower cost) comes from the fact that they are only programmed to do one thing. Play games. Start trying to bring them up to the versatility of a PC and I'd guess teh cost would begin to rise to the same level.

Oh, and that they can get away with low end components (relatively) because they have to contend with low resolutions. As TVs increase in quality they are starting to lose this advantage as well.
    Last edited by Productivity; 05-17-2005 at 15:09.

Even with high end components console producers can enjoy massive economy of scale advantages. They move millions of units.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Don't forget that console games are more expensive to the buyer.
    Here in Denmark the very expensive top PC games cost 449kr (about 60€) but most new games cost no more than 399kr, but I have yet to see a single new console game cost less than 500kr. That is 25% more expensive in general.

The ability to actually connect mouse and keyboard is not enough, the consoles still need the games that need those implentations to be able to cut into PC games. And I doubt that will happen as a large portion of consolers are younger than PCers. They have grown up with their games, just like we have, and given the general flak consoles have been getting here (the SEGA issue and Total Warrior) it is obvious that people are not inclined to move over right away.

But a major advantage the consoles have is the general lack of bugs compared to PC games. I have yet to experience any bugs whatsoever in a console game. Granted I have played perhaps 15 games or so the last few years, but try picking 15 PC games and play them, you will find enough bugs in there. Though this often has to do with the rather more complex games we get for PCs.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Eventually, with high-res tvs and better controls, consoles will beat pcs. It's inevitable. The next gen support resolutions as high as any pc monitor; surround sound; and when you get a keyboard and mouse they will play strategy games as well as any pc.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Just a comment on PC gaming death, well not really, with every new console generation some people will predict that PC will die, but not really.

My reasoning is, well the graphics you see used by the next gen consoles (ie the nVidia card the PS3 is using, which is better than 2 6800's combined) is also to be released for the PC later after the next gen consoles have been release, so the PC will still retain its superior graphics power anyway.. what will kill it is the cost of upgrading it however, but thats another story.

As for me, i'm planning to buy all 3 major next gen consoles, yes i might be a douche bag, but really there are some really awesome games for both consoles (Xbox 360: Halo 3, DoA 4, 99 Nights.. etc. PS3: Killzone, GT5.. etc) that i cannot simply miss..
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

The PC will never die. The day the PC dies, i will be named president of the world and and everyone will suddenly realise Microsoft is actually the Devil's work and has a huge monopoly on the computer industry, which leads to the subsequent upsurge and then downfall of the computer industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I look forward to the PS3 although I have barely touched my PS2 since getting RTW. It's only a matter of time before a new PS2 game comes out and I go crawling back to PS2. Or PS3 game.. when is it due out?

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

I'm guessing november 2006.. or maybe beggining of 2007.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

PS3: We've gone from Darth Vader's toaster (PS2) to some kind of printer/breadbin hybrid. Hideous, truly hideous! The silver is the final straw - thank heaven there are other colours planned. The changes to the controller ... well, proof is in holding and using, but I'm very sceptical that thing will be comfortable. I like the current dualshock.

XBOX 360: Firstly what kind of a name is that? What's wrong with XBOX 2? It actually looks quite nice, and it seems compact too, which is a plus. The controller looks nice too.

Revolution: It's tiny, it's compact, it's nondescript in a nice way. I like that. There's not much about it out there yet. I'm very curious to see what they have done with the controller; Nintendo usually come up with designs which suit my dainty hands well.

In the end there's nothing at all there to convince me to take an interest in any of the successors. It's all about the games, and so far there are none which interest me.

Specs are all very well, but I don't take much notice of them, nor do I trust them very far. Companies exaggerate. Power has to be used to be any good, and I've seen nothing so far about how easy any of these consoles will be to program for. Besides, it's not just about having bigger numbers and more dofalps these days; it's also about how it all works together.

More online focus, crammed into all three consoles in more ways than before, and I still don’t care about it. Gah! Games please, not stats to show off to people on another continent.

People have been predicting the death of the PC as a gaming platform through … 3 lots of next-gen consoles (if you include this new batch), probably longer, and always with the same arguments and counterarguments. We’re all still here.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    It's all about the games, and so far there are none which interest me.
    It is all about the games. I take it you haven't seen the new Zelda trailer and screens. Holy **** it looks good I think it's going to be the best Zelda ever.

Please stop with the "PC will die debate". PC gaming will be around for a looong time yet... mark my words.

I've not found much on the Zelda trailer yet; people are talking, but no one is linking. But it's on the gamecube anyway, unless it has been moved and all those nice (read: annoying) people obsessing over how console X is going to take console Y and [insert generic chain of teenage fanboy insults here] because it has [insert feature/part/company/free bananas here] I found some new screenshots of Zelda; it still looked like a gamecube game to me.

I've only been idly looking at the biased coverage on Eurogamer; there's not been anything which made me sufficiently curious to wander over to IGN and/or gamespot to be annoyed by further hyping there.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

i like the new design for the console, but the controller i don't like, it looks like they are going for the megadrive six button controller look, except with more curve and less angle on the handles.

i hope the old controllers still work on it, i heard everything else is backward compatible.
    thanks,
    dizzy
    {LORE}

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

The videos from E3 on the PS3 graphics look juicy

What pisses me off is that the new Xbox will probably only be backwards compatible with the best sellers from the old system. Since I have spent some time amassing an Xbox collection, this is a bit of an annoyance.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

So long the PC is used en-masse there will be a market for PC Games. But then again, who's to say PC and consoles cannot be combined in the future?

Nintendo is going to blow away everyone tomorrow, or not, time will tell...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast