Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst faction in your opinion?

Default What is the worst faction in your opinion?

There are lot's of talk about the best faction , and what is the worst in your opinion?
    I think Gauls are boring , because they lack specific units , and so their battle tactics is boring.

King: AJC MEMBER(ON THE LIST) Member King Arthur's Avatar

Default Re: What is the worst faction in your opinion?

. hmm interesting question IliaDN
    i have to say taking into account not just the army but the whole faction eg location shrines etc i have to say thrace ,
    they have boring units although a strong cavalry, and again boring battle tactics ,
    in my experiance always envolvolving onagers from range fring at you and wating for you to come to them, and they also are bordered by weak factions eg dacia and scythia making the campaign to easy at the start.

although i would agree Gaul come a close second
    ' What we do in life echoes in eternity'
    Maximus: Gladiator (2000)

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Yeah Thrace I find to be the least interesting of all the factions.
    With Dacia as a close second, I like the units but I don't like the location at all.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Thrace and Gaul (challenging campaign but no unique units except foresters).

I don't like Numidia either. The distances between towns is horrible, but you gota learn to live with location. Numidia has a pretty nice roster of units.
    Last edited by Craterus; 05-18-2005 at 16:35.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

what no unique units, damn foresters are the best archers in game

We do not sow.

worst faction definitly is Scythia, i hate them

We do not sow.

oh and the spanish campaign also sucks

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

For me, it's either Thrace or Numidia. I would probably play them if it wasn't for the dull selection of units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Oops, i forgot about foresters. But they have regular barb infantry and cavalry...

Spanish campaign is fun, you obviously didn't play it very well...

Technically, any campaign can be fun, as long as you take an interesting route. Could do with the AI being better though.

Agreed. Do something unexpected, and a campaign will open up lots of new possibilities.

For example, take Carthage with the Brutii before the Scipii get there..

Thrace also has a unique unit, the Bastarnae, though it is identical in appearance to the Thracian mercenaries so it may give the impression of not being unique.

I would like to get rid of the identical looks for some units. I personaly think that Macedonian and Seleucid pikemen should somehow look different (and I don't mean just colour), they can be the same stats but they should look different, variety is the spice of life and all.'

Same goes for Bastarnae and Thracians, Illyrians, Merc peltasts and heavy peltasts etc. and the various barbarian civ units.

Anyway to answer the question the Egyptians are the worst, they're so un-historical it isn't funny they have stupid appearances that don't match with their stats (the infamous iron skinned desert axemen) and under AI control they steamroll across the map killing off all the actual interesting factions and making the game much duller as a result.

If you mean worst faction to play then the answer for me personally is the Parthians, I'm not a big fan of cavalry dominated armies and at least the Scythians have axemen, the Parthians just get pajama wearing desert fags.

The brackets weren't referring to Thrace. I like their bastarnae and falxmen, some nice units but they seem to bore me. Their location isn't too hot either. In worst faction terms, I would give Gaul first place, Thrace second.

To be honest though, as I said earlier, any campaign can be exciting, just do something out of the ordinary. I'm sure I would enjoy a Thracian campaign, if I got into it.

the Parthians just get pajama wearing desert fags
    When me and a friend were looking at RTW screenshots last summer, we didn't know who the Parthians were, so we nicknamed them the 'Pyjama People'. The name has stuck ever since.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Oops, i forgot about foresters. But they have regular barb infantry and cavalry...

Spanish campaign is fun, you obviously didn't play it very well...

Technically, any campaign can be fun, as long as you take an interesting route. Could do with the AI being better though.
    nah the spanish have stupid units, and early on the scutarii whipeo ut every unit in the game

We do not sow.

I found the Scutarii to be quite adequate. Not great, adequate. You can get to building them really fast though...

yeh but they're better than warbands, iberian infantry and hastati

We do not sow.

Agreed.

thank you

We do not sow.

King: AJC MEMBER(ON THE LIST) Member King Arthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    oh and the spanish campaign also sucks
    You shouldnt go by just how the campaign pans out emperor for judging the worst faction
    , but taking into account the units location etc, in this way i feel the thrace faction is worse then the spanish faction
    ' What we do in life echoes in eternity'
    Maximus: Gladiator (2000)

Thrace is boring !!!!!
    Last edited by IliaDN; 05-18-2005 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur
    You shouldnt go by just how the campaign pans out emperor for judging the worst faction
    , but taking into account the units location etc, in this way i feel the thrace faction is worse then the spanish faction
    i tried 4 spanish campaign and after around 20 turns i was burned out, everytime.

We do not sow.

Scourge of God Member Count Belisarius's Avatar

Define 'worst'. 'Worst' as in most-hated? Egypt, hands down. Un-historical, and ridiculously overpowered.

Worst to play? I would say Gaul if it weren't for the Foresters. I also hate Germania and Scythia for the interminable rebels and tedious distances, though they both have an interesting units. Have to go with Thrace for bad map position, poverty, and boring units.
    Just call me sui generis, and leave it at that.
    - Huey P. Long

if you play RTR you have a less powefull more realistic egypt

We do not sow.

Scourge of God Member Count Belisarius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Umeu 1
    if you play RTR you have a less powefull more realistic egypt
    Very true. And I do, for the record. RTR is great. I haven't played vanilla RTW since . . . forever.
    Just call me sui generis, and leave it at that.
    - Huey P. Long

EGPYT!!! Course those over powered easy to play as hard to fight barbarian simpletons!

They look awful, they are over powered and they say "all you're base are belong to us!"-no joke- which is actually a good easter egg, IMO.

I don't know whether to believe that 'all your base are belong to us' egyptian thingy. I think i saw it once when trawling through the RTW files late at night, but that might have just been the coffee talking.

"I don't know whether to believe that 'all your base are belong to us' egyptian thingy. I think i saw it once when trawling through the RTW files late at night, but that might have just been the coffee talking."

I've seen it...in game to!

I think most of the barbarian factions are boring, even Parthia and most factions in the east are boring, mainly becaue of poor units but also because it seems whoever you go the AI attacks you right away and doesnt leave you alone which is annoying.

As Rome or the Greeks/Macedonians you can withstand such invasion's due to your vastly superior units early on but as say the Gauls then getting attacked from everywhere is harder to withstand which mainly ruins the game, so I find myself playing only one or two different factions because it bores me the way the AI just goes for you I simply cant be bothered playing an already less than interesting faction in such conditions.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Egypt has the least appeal to me, although Thrace are probably a close second. Egypt has a silly army, Thrace has a very limited and unexciting range of troops also. And their colours are dire. Although I don't like Parthia. Their infantry is near non-existant so it's down to horses and horse archers in particular. Horse Archers are utterly boring and a chore to micromanage. And if you win a battle with them, you don't get much satisfaction from it. But I still like Egypt the least.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

At the top of my head, the two most annoying features of a faction is to not be able to make anything but standard roads and wooden defences. Germany is all right, though, because of their roster, and somewhat interesting situation. Scythia is OK, though reeeally easy, and therefore boring. Boring, but not bad. I think Dacia takes home the gold medal in being a bad R:TW faction. Nothing, even the challanging economy, can make me interested in marshalling these brown dudes from the middle of nowhere. Thrace is a close second, and third would be spain, just because they are so utterly boring to play with. It's like a dumbed down carthage.
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast