Thread: The rise of Islamic protestantism in Indonesia

Default The rise of Islamic protestantism in Indonesia

This article describes a bit the reformation of islam that is going on. Something we all should support...

The rise of Islamic protestantism in Indonesia

Meidyatama Suryodiningrat, The Jakarta Post

This goes beyond a simple case of an "oddball" preacher in Malang leading prayers in Arabic and Bahasa Indonesia. The controversy over the preacher from East Java performing prayers in two languages is, unwittingly, part of the growing enlightenment that rejects the traditional dogma of state-sponsored religion.

It is not a challenge toward religion per say, but protestantism in response to the hegemony of organized religion in Indonesia and the state's monopoly over religious righteousness.

For over three decades the state ruled by proxy over the masses through state institutions and conservative clerics whose words and fatwa defined what was or what was not considered virtuous. Dissenters were branded heretic.

Thirty years of totalitarianism reduced people's capacity to think, producing a society in love with its own enslavement. If everything was so perfectly defined, what need is there for reason?

Reformasi is still wanting in its goal of creating a just, democratic society, but at the very least it provides a window for free thought.

This window has brought about revisionism in all areas of life once decreed sacrosanct. Authority over religion is quietly raging a battle that is becoming 'bloodier' by the day.

A group of young "liberal" Islamic thinkers like Ulil Abshar Abdala were condemned to death, by fatwa, for challenging traditional conservatism.

A draft Islamic Code of Law which included articles redressing the rights of women was struck down under pressure from theocons and fear of "inciting public unrest".

Most recently, Muhammad Yusman Roy of the Islamic boarding school Pondok I'tikaf Jama'ah Ngaji Lelaku was arrested for leading prayers in Arabic and Indonesian.

After the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) issued an edict saying prayers can only be conducted in Arabic, Roy had thus allegedly violated Article 156 (a) of the Criminal Code on despoiling an organized religion. The crime carries a maximum punishment of five years imprisonment.

Strangely, the exclusive use of Arabic in Islamic liturgy has been a matter of debate for centuries.

Over a millennium ago two acclaimed Islamic philosophers -- Abu Hanifah (a Persian) and Syafi'i (an Arab) -- were already arguing this very point. The latter, not surprisingly, contending Arabic was the sole permissible language in prayers.

In the 1930s, Turkish nationalist leader Mustafa Kemal (Kemal Ataturk) instructed that the adzan -- the call to prayer -- be read in Turkish.

Repeated cases in Indonesia have also shown, there is an inability to differentiate between Islam and Arabic tradition.

The "grand old man of the republic", Haji Agus Salim, demanded the shroud between men and women participants in a 1927 Islamic youth conference in Yogyakarta be removed saying the separation of the sexes in such a manner was not an Islamic, but rather an Arab tradition.

Cleric Roy himself before he was arrested was not contesting the core tenets of Islam -- the belief in one God and fate, the Prophet Muhammad, shalat, and faith in the hereafter. His purpose seemed simply to make religious text more accessible. To engage in a more "tender" dialog with God.

Under political duress Roy has apologized but remains adamant about continuing his prayers in the two languages, albeit only with his immediate family.

Even the most conservative clerics would agree that Islam is a religion that encourages scientific and cognitive thought. Hence it is ironic that militancy, not rationale and debate, prevails.

As Salim has shown, debate was part of the healthy Indonesian Islamic culture in the pre-New Order days. In the 1950s there were articles on the opposing views of Persis and Muhammadiyah (two prominent Islamic organizations) on religious issues.

The analogy of Martin Luther and his excommunication by Pope Leo X in the 16th Century may be offensive to some Muslims, but the historical parallel is worth studying.

No one here is hammering a list of demands on a church door. Nevertheless the social environment which permits free and rational thought is challenging the parochialism of organized religion. It is neither an organized nor a conscious movement. It is trend which stems naturally from humanity's desire to find sequential truth based on reason, not doctrine.

It is no threat to religion, especially Islam. It is however intimidating to those who exploit religion as a means of mind control.

Maybe Muslims in this country are undergoing their own initial phase of religious enlightenment and reformation. A welcome end result would be a rational approach to religion which would eliminate religion from politics -- An end to clerics who forget that in Islam there is no such thing as a priesthood which has structural control over a congregation; an end to religious claims that women cannot become leaders; an end to politicians who can claim probity because they show themselves to be pious by using Islamic (Arabic) symbolism.

"Without doubt there can be no faith, for it only leads to blind faith."

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: The rise of Islamic protestantism in Indonesia

Bmolsson,

I know you're not a 'believer' in the true sense, so you have to ask yourself how well is this article playing to you versus the average Joe on the street. But honestly, good article, it sounds like there is a reform network afoot. Truth be told, Catholicism never 'codified' it's positions on things in papal bulls until Martin Luther started calling them on inconsistency. Do you see this as a possible reform movement?

By the way, way off topic... do you ever get to Singapore? I'm going to be there for a couple of days and would love to have a couple of brews with you and shoot the shit.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 05-19-2005 at 04:21.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Bmolsson,

I know you're not a 'believer' in the true sense, so you have to ask yourself how well is this article playing to you versus the average Joe on the street. But honestly, good article, it sounds like there is a reform network afoot. Truth be told, Catholicism never 'codified' it's positions on things in papal bulls until Martin Luther started calling them on inconsistency. Do you see this as a possible reform movement?

By the way, way off topic... do you ever get to Singapore? I'm going to be there for a couple of days and would love to have a couple of brews with you and shoot the shit.
    The problem with islam in Indonesia is that it is used towards the masses by a self appointed feodalistic elite. People don't understand the Quaran and have to trust on this elite. The reform is a reaction towards the people that are trying to use islam as a political tool and oppress people with it. Using Indonesian is here very important since most Indonesian actual already have 2 languages and Arabic is just to much. I strongly believe this is something that can create a better islam.

Sure, I am occasionally in Singapore. When will you be there next time ?

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I get in on Sunday the 29th, leave June 1st. I'd love to tip a glass with ya.

Funny, you mention something that sounds very similar, I just have to 700 years back in my history book (which, when I think about it is roughly the difference between the time Jesus preached & Mohammed did). Christianity expanded to a point that it spoke many languages and the masses could no longer truly be called 'followers' because they could only follow what their local priest told them. Arabic, Latin, hmm... I'm actually really starting to see some parallels here. Question is, who's your Gutenberg? Who's going to open the door for everyone?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I'm actually really starting to see some parallels here. Question is, who's your Gutenberg? Who's going to open the door for everyone?
    I see many a paralell too. I think Al Gore was/is the Islamic Gutenberg. Why because he likes to take sole credit for the internet. And the internet is letting young people in Islamic cultures see differnet ideas/views. Also if you look at christianity 700 yearsago it was full of a lot of relgiously fueled violence and tyranny, like Islam is now.
    Last edited by lars573; 05-19-2005 at 06:39.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

This certaintly is positive. Just out of curosity, what language would they speak instead? And how many people, if any can speak Arabic over there?

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

The problem with islam in Indonesia is that it is used towards the masses by a self appointed feodalistic elite. People don't understand the Quaran and have to trust on this elite.
    This seeems to be the problem with Islam through out the world both by governments and terrorists. Its nice to see that some have started to see through this smokescreen and call for reform.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Well, seeing as the Mohameddan calendar is in about the late 1400s, and the assumption that history repeats itself, they should be having a Reformation any time soon.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

I hope Islamicic reform is a little less bloody than the Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGod
    I hope Islamicic reform is a little less bloody than the Christian.
    Unfortunately the terrorism shows that it will not be the case.....