Poll: Should developed mods be stickied

Thread: Should well developed mod be stickied?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Should well developed mod be stickied?

Oppinions please.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    D¨n DŔagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Default Re: Should well developed mod be stickied?

perhaps only completed mods, actually...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

If a mod gets sufficiently far to be called 'well developed' there should be something tangible to download, either as demo 'units' or some such thing. It would help to keep them visible.

The tricky bit will be defining what is 'well developed' and what isn't. Mods like RTR, SPQR, and the enhanced Greek mods are all well developed. They are still 'work in progress' with improvements being made, but htere is something that can be downloaded and played. Other Mods....like NTW 2 or Blue Lotus, while 'developing well' they are not 'well developed' ...if you know hwat I mean!

My personaly opinion is sticky anything that has downloadable,playable content out for download. Let the rest stay as it is. Big mods get hosted, popular mods get regular views. This would help the mods thz\t you can play to remain visible and give an incentive to get that Beta out hte door ;)
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Sticky playable mods!
    Can not vote....

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

yes
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Keep the stickied 'Completed mods' thread, categorise them if you like, but if a well-developed mod is just a mod that's got a download then you'll soon find yourself with a page-full of stickies - which would rather defeat the purpose. And if it isn't, do you - or anyone else - want to be making the judgement call about what's well-developed and what's not?
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

if a well-developed mod is just a mod that's got a download then you'll soon find yourself with a page-full of stickies
    My fear exactly, which i why I haven't done so recently, I think the alternative is to have a stickied thread for completed mods (which oaty has kindly done) and another for mods in development. This is the option I would prefer.

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Don't start stickying mods, it will tend to get out of control, from observing other forums - everyone then wants a sticky.

Actually, is there any reason that "Posting a thread that does not contain a guide/tutorial/tool will result in a ban!" is stickied in Guides, Tutorials and Tools?

I think that the best would be to include them in the finished mods thread, with a note about what the version was, or that it is still in development.
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Nah, would be too many stickies IMO. Better to have one thread for completed mods with links to the threads stickied (like it is now) AND if possible another thread stickied below it with a list with links to all mods who are under development and haven't ceased to exist.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

The Engineers Guild is of course an example of where 'significant' mods have been stickied. And I think you'd agree it's a bit out of hand with almost an entire page of stickies.

The idea of two stickies - one for 'completed' mods and one for other 'significant' mods - is a good one I think. When I say 'significant', I mean one that is actually notably under development, as opposed to merely a suggestion or some early musings.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Laridus Konivaich
    Actually, is there any reason that "Posting a thread that does not contain a guide/tutorial/tool will result in a ban!" is stickied in Guides, Tutorials and Tools?
    Nostalgia.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Maybee you should sticky full conversion mods that have, say at least 200 replys and have been developed for something like 2 months or more and show at least some signs of development. To be honest it is not that difficult to pick out the well developed from the mods still in their "ideas and research" stage and you will notice that there are not quite as many well developed mods compared to MTW.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

My 2 cents:

The stickied threads in the Engineers Guild still kinda worked because there weren't too many mods around. With the coming of R:TW I expected a lot more mods and to be honest, also low quality mods or mods with little more than a skin or a few tweaks. To avoid jealously, politics or other nasty stuff I intentionally did not sticky any mods. My thought was that if a mod was developed continously it would remain on the first page with everybody having a chance of getting to the top of the page.

Stickying mods with a download doesn't like a good idea to me, the first mods to finish are mods with just a few skins. Are they better or worthy of more attention than a large mod who is still under development? If not where do you draw the line?

Back in the old days I stickied the Ban thread because while it was funny to see Myrddraal write "READ MY SIG" it was also tiring to see people so blindly posting new threads in the wrong forum.

:mtwcheers:
    Rob

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Should well developed mod be stickied?

Well, I think a stickied post with a link to all well developped mods would be nice, though I don't like the idea of 1 sticky/mod