Thread: Send in the clones!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Send in the clones!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4563607.stm

British scientists say they have successfully cloned a human embryo - the country's first.
    The Newcastle University team took eggs from 11 women, removed the genetic material and replaced it with DNA from embryonic stem cells.

Three of the resultant clones lived and grew in the laboratory for three days and one survived for five days.

The critical factor for success appeared to be how quickly the egg was collected and manipulated.

We are talking about several years before we are talking about a cell-based therapy that can go back into the patient

Professor Alison Murdoch

Patient-specific stem cell first

Any longer than an hour and there was no success, Professor Alison Murdoch and colleagues found.

The clone that lasted for five days had been collected and manipulated within 15 minutes.

The ultimate aim of the research is to make cloned embryos from which stem cells can be harvested and used to treat diseases.

Stem cells have the ability to develop into virtually any tissue in the body and could, in theory, be used to replace damaged cells in conditions such as Parkinson's disease and diabetes.

But Professor Murdock said this was still a long way off.

"We are talking about several years before we are talking about a cell-based therapy that can go back into the patient.

Colleague Dr Miodrag Stojkovic said: "I'm really happy but I know that this is just the beginning of a long journey so we have to continue to try to derive stem cells that will definitely help us one day to cure diseases."

Therapeutic cloning is allowed in Britain, although reproductive cloning - the cloning of human embryos with the intention of creating a baby - was made illegal in 2001.

The UN recently voted in favour of a ban on all human cloning, but this was non-binding which means the UK can continue to do therapeutic cloning.

But cloning opponents criticised the research.

Julia Millington from the ProLife Alliance said cloning for research purposes was profoundly unethical.

Josephine Quintavalle from CORE said: "No matter how it is created, a human embryo's destiny should be to live and not to be turned into human stem cells."

Life said cloning was "unsafe and inefficient", and involved exposing women to dangerous fertility drugs in order to collect sufficient eggs.

South Korean scientists cloned 30 human embryos last year.

However, they took the genetic material from normal cells from the same women who were the egg donors and combined it with these eggs.

The UK research is published in Reproductive and BioMedicine Online.

Default Re: Send in the clones!

Finally.

I just hope they keep this out of the United States.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJager
    I just hope they keep this out of the United States.
    Against identical twins too I suppose...

Surely not two hot twin girls...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Panzer how is using this type of medicine to cure previously fatal diseases bad?
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Panzer how is using this type of medicine to cure previously fatal diseases bad?
    He is a Christian fundamentalist, like all fundamentalists, they do not make sense. It is bad because he is told it is bad and he follows like a good believer.

I am very glad my govt is putting huge investment into this type of scientific research and we are trying to become one of the leaders in the field. I am glad, unlike others in certain countries such as the US, we value saving peoples lives via new, important technology over old doctrines.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944