Thread: The Pope???

Default The Pope???

What is the deal with the Pope???

I took the english as my faction and the French attacked me and took Wessex and besieged my castle. When I kicked their butts out the next turn, the Pope demands that I stop feuding with them and not [B]attack them [/B] for4 10 years. What is up with that? the Pope is supposed to be my alli too!

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Default Re: The Pope???

The pope is a man that can never be trusted. Period. He's a megalomaniac with weird mechanics in his mind. If you play an all-defensive game, he'll never bother you. However, if you attack a Catholic province that the owning faction attacked you before, and that province was not owned by you, he'll warn you. Why care? Hurry up your tech, train a Grand Inquisitor, train that inquisitor on your own single worthless peasant unit (allows for 100 times to upgrade his skill) into a "kingslayer" (full stars), and send him for a permanent visit in Rome. Problem solved.

Whenever the pope annoys you, burn him.

Otherwise, here is a trick: declare war on one Catholic faction, he'll warn you, then play only defensive on that faction (don't attack), and you won't be excommunicated. However... during this ten-years period, you are free to attack everyone else with a garanteed no warnings!

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

When the Pope asks you to cease hostility you have to assault the castles you are sieging and not attack any more, unless you want to accept excommunication.

As a Catholic I usually obey the Pope, it's part of role-playing, but when it is really important for me to keep fighting I will accept excommunication then assassinate the Pope, or wait for him to die.

IMO its a game device designed to slow you down, some folks ignore it.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Quote Originally Posted by ichi
    When the Pope asks you to cease hostility you have to assault the castles you are sieging and not attack any more, unless you want to accept excommunication.

As a Catholic I usually obey the Pope, it's part of role-playing, but when it is really important for me to keep fighting I will accept excommunication then assassinate the Pope, or wait for him to die.

IMO its a game device designed to slow you down, some folks ignore it.

ichi
    The only exception to this is you can attack a province with the enemy ruler in it that turn , if they abandon the province = no excommunication. If they retreat to the castle you can leave the province without getting excommunicated or storm it if capturing / killing their ruler is more important to you!

The only exception to this is you can attack a province with the enemy ruler in it that turn , if they abandon the province = no excommunication. If they retreat to the castle you can leave the province without getting excommunicated or storm it if capturing / killing their ruler is more important to you!
    No you still get excommunicated even if they abandon the province and you get that territory. As long as your forces stay in that territory, your not with the pope's will. And by the way, did anyone ever assassinate a pope? the percentage of success is almost impossible.
    "Do not weep, do not announce my death. Beat the drum, blow the trumpet, wave the flag for advance. We are still fighting. Finish the enemy to the last one." - Admiral Yi Sun-shin

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWingedVictory
    No you still get excommunicated even if they abandon the province and you get that territory. As long as your forces stay in that territory, your not with the pope's will. And by the way, did anyone ever assassinate a pope? the percentage of success is almost impossible.
    I've successfully ordered the assassination of the Pope in almost every Catholic campaign. I usually spam him on one turn, and it is almost always a 3+ star guy who gets him.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWingedVictory
    you need at least three stars but it can be done. believe it or not I once had a five star assasin who lived in Rome. He must have killed 5 popes before i started feeling bad for the poor guys