Thread: Meleeing misslie units in RTR

Default Meleeing misslie units in RTR

I have just started playing RTR and I am amazed. I will never again play regular RTW.

But I have run into something I find a little odd...the melee attacks of missile units seem way too high. I charged a unit of slingers with my principes and lost about a 3rd of the unit. The princs we not engaged by any other units and were not under missle fire (no arrow icons). Similar events happened a number of times later.

Is this intended?

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Default Re: Meleeing misslie units in RTR

The unit balance in 5.4.1 is a bit poor, to say the least. You would be well advised to exercise caution when fighting a unit for the first time. Most are reasonable, but some aren't. The primary offenders are likely hoplites, who can more than hold their own against Roman infantry even without phalanx mode. 6.0 will be better-playtested.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Cool thanks for the heads up.

Out of curiosity, is there any info on 6.0 yet? Like an ETA or list of planned changes?

Roman and Greek cav. units charging on unbroken peasant or missile units get cut to ribbons if left in melee. Unlike MTW where horsies ruled the field in RTR you have to be careful what targets you pick for your cavalry. At least for Romans and Greeks

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopHatJones
    Out of curiosity, is there any info on 6.0 yet? Like an ETA or list of planned changes?
    Check my signature link. There's a preview somewhere there.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Actually....this isn't just something from RTR... I see it in stock 1.2 as well. Slingers seem to have a melee ability that exceeds what they ought to be able to do! Attack them with a phalanx and you will get overwhelmed. I have even had heavy units charged by slingers and get beaten up!

Their speed and agility should help them against ponderous units... but once the meat-grinders start working, the slingers should lose.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!