Thread: peace?

Default peace?

ok was reading replies to my post,can there be an end to war.
    someone said(cant remember who)that there would need to be a strong central power.RELIGION!what has unified man for centuries?(and splintered them)it would bring them together,a broad world wide religion,of course conflict would rise,but after those who dont agree are no longer in the way(may take awhile)...you have a new generation who will believe what is taught to them...and that is frightening.a world religion used correctly could destroy all old institutions,ban the memory of old ways,of tradition.bind the hands of the zealot,redirect him,and unleash him.
    now as to the end of war,you would have to deceive the people,make up an enemy.the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
    -
    or war on a much less scale,more of an act than a war;a central govt. could control all the world,but the people wouldnt have to know that,make the people believe that the world split and not really a whole controlled by a few.send troops against the "enemy" people die,but nothing in reality changes,the govt stays in power,the people are happy.
    ^probly not feesable,maybe though)
    -
    religion or a common idea will unify man when race,speech,nation,creed,(etc.)are no longer in question.would have to be a very strong movement though.but i believe it could happen given the correct happenings and opportunities taken.(and kept)
    VAE VICTUS-PaNtOcRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi says
    Honour is that which preserves the dignity of the human spirit.
    It’s how you treat people, that makes you an honourable person.
    Not how many battles you win.
    The glory of your victories will soon be forgotten.
    But the kindness and respect you show for others, will not.
    So is there really any honour in Total War games?
    No.
    But there is in some of it’s players…

Default Re: peace?

You know you can post a reply to your own post................

There would be religious wars though....
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ultimately Peace will emerge in world when every single human being is dead.
    Cryptic isnt it?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

we will find peace when we die

We will have peace (I mean humans fighting humans), for a while, when we meet aliens and start expanding into space. We probably end up fighting the aliens and probably each other (I know it contradicts my first sentence).

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAE VICTUS
    ok was reading replies to my post,can there be an end to war.
    someone said(cant remember who)that there would need to be a strong central power.RELIGION!what has unified man for centuries?(and splintered them)it would bring them together,a broad world wide religion,of course conflict would rise,but after those who dont agree are no longer in the way(may take awhile)...you have a new generation who will believe what is taught to them...and that is frightening.a world religion used correctly could destroy all old institutions,ban the memory of old ways,of tradition.bind the hands of the zealot,redirect him,and unleash him.
    now as to the end of war,you would have to deceive the people,make up an enemy.the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
    -
    or war on a much less scale,more of an act than a war;a central govt. could control all the world,but the people wouldnt have to know that,make the people believe that the world split and not really a whole controlled by a few.send troops against the "enemy" people die,but nothing in reality changes,the govt stays in power,the people are happy.
    ^probly not feesable,maybe though)
    -
    religion or a common idea will unify man when race,speech,nation,creed,(etc.)are no longer in question.would have to be a very strong movement though.but i believe it could happen given the correct happenings and opportunities taken.(and kept)
    It does not have to be religion. And there were ideals in at least parts of the world like Helenism. Even the ideals of a free world kept NATO states together (o.k. the Communist block did his part).

VV, this isn't really a historical thread. So like your "war" thread, I'm moving this to the Backroom. Please post your topics in the correct forum.
    This space intentionally left blank

Someone just read 1984.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Having a single religion IMDHO would be a step backwards. I would prefer personal choice. I don't think a peace which is bought by stamping out differences is anything else then a dictatorship.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

A Veteran Wargamer Member kiwitt's Avatar

Well said.
    Last edited by kiwitt; 05-25-2005 at 05:38.
    We work to live, and to live is to, play "Total War" or drive a VR-4

i agree
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Yeah, forcing a religion or other idea on people is a bad iodea because even if you chose what someone believed in (no god for me) someone like me would still be incensed because the option would not be open and the law would be oppressive.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Jesus is will unify us all... Repent.
    RIP Tosa

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Oh Jesus not this again! I told the Jehova's witnesses not to come back at five am. Gotta get a leash and tell them I will help them find their dog, seriously who would name a dog Jesus?
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Oh Good Lord! Jesus is no good as a politician and a military commander! How COULD you choose someone like THAT to conquer the world!?

He is, however, one of the best UN secretaries one could find.

Peace will come when I rule the world, don't worry, people.