Default Favorite Album Ever

What favorite all-time album?

Mine: OK Computer by RadioHead.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Wink Re: Favorite Album Ever

Queens of the stone age - Songs for the Deaf
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite Album Ever

The only way I can really answer this is by considering what records I listened to the most in my lifetime. That would problably be a toss-up between Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive," Queen's "A Night at the Opera," Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same," and Kansas' "Two for the Show."

Each of these represented major periods of my rock 'n roll life. Frampton's was the first true rock album that I bought, and it led to my life-changing decision to pursue modern music seriously. Queen was my second rock infatuation, as I studied classical piano very seriously from age 7 through 19 and loved the "classical meets rock" flavor of their early albums. I wore out three vinyl copies of "The Song Remains the Same" during my high school years, and my bedroom walls were covered with Zep posters. Towards the end of high school and during my early years in college before hitting the road as a club keyboardist, I fell in love with progressive rock music that featured a lot of keyboards (but still having ripping guitars), intricate arrangements, and technically complex music--hence my love for Kansas.

Ironically, now I hardly ever listen to these albums (except "A Night at the Opera"). I couldn't pick a favorite now, as I like so many different artists for different reasons.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TogakureOjonin
    Ironically, now I hardly ever listen to these albums (except "A Night at the Opera"). I couldn't pick a favorite now, as I like so many different artists for different reasons.
    Everything get's old, even people(). The only thing we can do about that is move on by making better choices in music or invent a better form of it. That way the experience of listening and learning earns it's true value.

This goes for every venture not just music.

Wish you were here by Floyd

OK Computer by RadioHead.
    Wish you were here by Floyd
    Excellent choices. But, despite my undying love for all things radiohead, i'd have to say WYWH. It's just... a really f***ing strong album! I love each and every second of it. And Wish You Were Here is probably my favourite song of all time.

Honorable mentions:

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers feat. Eric Clapton AKA Beano - The album that revolutionized rock before hendrix came along. Ok, maybe that's a bit strong, but for what it was, this album was groundbreaking at the time, and is still breathtaking today. And it features Eric's best lead guitar work, despite him being very very young at the time.

Animals, Darkside, The Wall, Division Bell etc - It's the floyd. 'Nuff said. And i really did enjoy The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse, despite the 'It isn't floyd without waters' comments that float around.

The Beatles = Revolver - I always thought this was a stronger album than Sgt Peppers. Maybe not as groundbreakingly important, but more enjoyable to listen to. That's not to say Sgt Peppers isn't f***ing amazing! But i just prefer Revolver.

I could go on forever like this, so i'll cut it out now.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I think it's probably either WYWH or Dark Side for me. Honorable mentions to Led Zeppelin II, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, All other Floyd albums, and Born to Run. There are a huge number of others I love too.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Gah! I forgot Bowie AND Springsteen?! *hangs head in shame*

Although, i always did prefer diamond dogs to the rise and fall of Ziggy...
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and i am you and what i see is me"

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

I really wouldn't know...

I couldn't choose a single one even if I was given two times the normal lifespan of a man to choose, but I would (at the moment) choose out of Goodie Mob - Soul Food, Anthony Hamilton - Comin' From Where I'm From, a whole slew of Marvin Gaye albums, a whole slew of Barry White albums, a whole slew of Stevie Wonder albums, OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, Dungeon Family - Even In Darkness, Led Zeppelin IV, Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf, Nas - Illmatic, Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die, all the albums of Jamiroquai, Juan Luis Guerra - Bachata Rosa...

Enfin, as you see, I can't choose. Too many good 'uns around.

~Wiz
    Last edited by The Wizard; 05-22-2005 at 00:23.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X-1
    Gah! I forgot Bowie AND Springsteen?! *hangs head in shame*

Although, i always did prefer diamond dogs to the rise and fall of Ziggy...
    It's a difficult choice, but there are just too many songs on Ziggy that I grew up with because my dad played them constantly...Moonage Daydream, Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Five Years, Rock and roll suicide...

The concept is stronger too...although that's not saying much. The lyrics make some sense also.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-22-2005 at 00:23.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Abbey Road
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

my fav:

pink floyd - animals

the rest, more or less in order:

pink floyd - wish you were here
    sparklehorse - it's a wonderful life
    pink floyd - final cut
    mercury rev - all is dream
    pink floyd - dark side of the moon
    beck - odelay
    grandaddy - the sophtware slump
    nick drake - pink moon
    outkast - ATliens
    harry nilsson - the point!
    eels - electro-shock blues
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

|LGA.3rd|General Clausewitz Member Kaiser of Arabia's Avatar

pronounced-skynyrd
    mutter-rammstein
    greatest hits 2 queen'
    wywh floyd
    paranoid sabbath

Why do you hate Freedom?
    The US is marching backward to the values of Michael Stivic.

Tough....

Favorite Album: Kaya - Bob Marley & the Wailers. Highlights: Time Will Tell, Sun Is Shining, Easy Skanking, Is This Love? (1978). Time Will Tell is absolutely mindblowing. Sun Is Shining is another one....

Runner-ups:
    • Exodus - Bob Marley & the Wailers. Highlights: The Heathen, Natural Mystic, Guiltiness, Waiting in Vain. (1977)

Time Magazine's Album of the Century (finally getting some accolades from mass media ) edgin' out other finalists Miles Davis' A Kind of Blue and Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced?. Kaya's sister album culled from the same studio sessions. Contains other lighter, popular hits like One Love, Jammin', Exodus and Three Little Birds.
    • More Time - Linton Kwesi Johnson (backed by the Dennis Bovell Dub Band). Highlights: New Word Hawdah, Liesense Fi Kill, Reggae Fi May Ayim, Hurricane Blues. (1998) New Word Hawdah and Liesense Fi Kill, enough said....
    • Equal Rights - Peter Tosh. Highlights: I Am That I Am, Jah Guide, title track, Get Up Stand Up. (1977). I Am That I Am is a personal favorite Tosh song (it's insanely good).
    • Survival - Bob Marley & the Wailers. Highlights: One Drop, So Much Trouble in the World, Africa Unite. (1979) One Drop is one of his best.
    • Real Keen: Reggae Into Jazz - Shake Keane. Highlights: Tiananmen Square, Timisora, Yankee Invasion, Baghdad. Credentials. (1991) Killer Jazz-Reggae instrumentals.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

OMG, can't believe I actually forgot old Bob.

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Floodland - Sisters of Mercy
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch