Thread: Weapons Upgrades

Default Weapons Upgrades

I've read of people discussing weapons upgrades, and I've noticed where they could be bought in custom battles, but I haven't discovered the way to get them in campaign mode. I tried building the necessary building above (for instance, building spearmen in a province with a spearman's workshop), but I didn't notice the little icon in the bottom left of the unit's picture, so I'm thinking that isn't it. How do you upgrade your troops' weapons?

Default Re: Weapons Upgrades

you need a province with iron, then you need to build a metalsmith, etc..

There are only a handful of provinces on the map that have Iron - Sweden, Franconia, Aragon, Navare, Castile, (off the top of my head) and several more I can't recall atm.

You must have at least a Castle before you can build the Metalsmith. Once built, units built in the province with weapons will have a + 1 bonus (I believe it is limited to Melee attack and does not effect ranged attacks). The Metalsmith can be upgraded as you tech up.

hope that helps.

DE

Sweden, Franconia, Bavaria (I think), Hungary, Carpathia, Aragon, Navare, Castile and Leon.

You can build an armourer with just a keep, but you need to upgrade to castle before you can build a metalsmith. It appears to affect ranged attacks, someone should do a custom battle experiment to find out though.

I see. Well, I have Sweden, so that should be nice and handy. Thanks!

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

It appears to affect ranged attacks, someone should do a custom battle experiment to find out though.
    Weapons upgrades only improve melee attack, not missile effectiveness.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

I could see why Iron would not affect a bow, but the tip of the arrow or javelin would definitely add armor piercing with finely wrought iron or elementary steel, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Zion_Raven
    I could see why Iron would not affect a bow, but the tip of the arrow or javelin would definitely add armor piercing with finely wrought iron or elementary steel, don't you think?
    The game designers seemed to think not. Though maybe it can be modded in?

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

There is quite a bit of a history of discussion onthis subject, going back to the very beginning.

Yes I agree it seems like weapons improvement would lead to an improvement in ranged attack, but the game doesn't work that way.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

These titles are too shor Member TonkaToys's Avatar

How about armour upgrades? Are these affected by metalsmiths?

No, armour and weapons are completely separate. They don't affect each others, so getting an armourer won't affect the weapon upgrades and getting a weaponsmith won't affect the armour upgrades.
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Quote Originally Posted by lilljonas
    No, armour and weapons are completely separate. They don't affect each others, so getting an armourer won't affect the weapon upgrades and getting a weaponsmith won't affect the armour upgrades.
    Which is very useful if you are building a desert army. If I am the Spanish for example have at least one of the iron containing provinces with maximum weapons bonus and no armour. You can then make awesome units which dont tire fast in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger_on_vrb
    Which is very useful if you are building a desert army. If I am the Spanish for example have at least one of the iron containing provinces with maximum weapons bonus and no armour. You can then make awesome units which dont tire fast in the desert.
    You shouldn't have said so! Now I'll have to go and start a desert combat campaign, instead of this RTW nonsense I've been trying out recently. Now the question is: Spain... muslims.... or Crusader States. Argh! ;)
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Quote Originally Posted by lilljonas
    You shouldn't have said so! Now I'll have to go and start a desert combat campaign, instead of this RTW nonsense I've been trying out recently. Now the question is: Spain... muslims.... or Crusader States. Argh! ;)
    You must play a modded game then. Crusader States are not in the original game. Which mod are you playing? Is it any good? I'm playing BKB's Super Mod and I'm loving it.
    To be is to do.
    - Socrates
    To do is to be.
    - Satre
    Do be do be do.
    - Sinatra