Poll: Which game has better gameplay?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTW or RTW? Which is better?

Default MTW or RTW? Which is better?

alright, i know graphic wise RTW wins, but what about the gameplay, which one is better??

i played both and truly think MTW's gameplay is way better.

Default Re: MTW or RTW? Which is better?

both shogun and mtw are better than rome

RTW

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

RTW is better, i can't go back after i saw all this. but where MTW was allrounded RTW isnt i call it a tie, slightly in RTW's favor

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

MTW's winning thanks to me. As enjoyable as RTW may be, MTW still has plenty of enjoyable gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Even again - you can't deny that rome has lots of innovations - choosing your battleground, diplomacy etc.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

I voted for Rome, I love all the total war games and i do belive that Medieval has got better AI but you can do alot more in rome, i.e Negotiate treaties in more depth, the naval system is much better, assaulting towns is also much better, freedom to move your armies where you want and picking your own battleground.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

RTW, no question about it. Although I do miss some feats from both STW and MTW. Do you remember the ambiance you felt when playing STW or all the little cool in-game movies? I do miss ransomes and crusades amongst other feats from MTW.

US of E!(united states of europe, Scotland to be precise)

Rome Total War is waaay better.

I just can't go back to Medieval Total War after playing Rome Total War for its better in almost every way. The only thing I miss is the cool Mediaeval time setting in Medieval Total War. (the Roman time setting is pretty cool too)
    There's no such thing as a lootenant.

I voted RTW for game play campaign, better graphics,More choice in units, more fun. But my case for MTW is it was agood game at the time, was less bugy and that time period is probably more interesting. Also who can forget the Crusades?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

There isn't even any competition RTW beats MTW hands down. As great as MTW and STW were, RTW takes the innovation a huge step further, both in the campaign game and the battles.

MTW had a basic 'chess-board' feel to its campaign game and you felt like your were conquering bits of the board rather than actual territories. Plus the armies were so generic through the different factions.

The battle AI was marginally better, though, and the battles were better for their slower pace. You actually had time to implement some tactics in MTW and make the battle your own. In RTW its limited to lining up your troops against the enemies and whipping some cav around the back, thats as far as tactics go, theres no time for finesse.

Still, its a much better game that just needs a few improvements.

It's way too easy to win crushing victories with almost no casualties in RTW. A full stack with plenty of cavalry can beat stack after stack of enemies, making the economical side of the wars patheticly easy. The enemy puts all their money into making stacks that any good player can eradicate in one turn. Also, tactically, there's more exploits. For example, any enemy can me completely crushed with minimal casualties if you just attack the flanks and/or rear with cavalry, a tactic that is ridiculously easy to perform in the game, since the AI never guards itself from it. Having one tactic that can win you almost any battle with almost all factions makes any tactical depth meaningless.

The AI is easier to exploit, both tactically and strategically. There are indeed several improvements, but when it comes to overall gameplay, it's a step back. Mind you, M:TW is not perfect either, and it becomes quite easy after a while, too. But it's never as mindboggingly easy as R:TW. However, when firing up S:TW after several years of M:TW on expert, I got creamed. At normal level. That game is much, much harder.
    Gôtt mos, Lennart.

Where's the third option?

I think RTW and MTW are about the same, both great games. But they both do different things better than the other. Some things MTW does, well RTW does badly. And some of the things RTW does well MTW doesn't do at all. Hopefully the next game will combine the best bits of both and get an even better game!
    ~LordKhaine~

MTW, all the way. I can't even stand RTW. With it's terrible AI, handfull of bugs, terrible AI, the way that i never play campaigns out because it just gets boring, and other features that were added that I just dont appreciate (ie. the way the campaign map is now, with units moving in a radius). Not to mention, I just like the setting in MTW better then in RTW.

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

MTW, hands down. Better battles, more challenge, better unit type balance. An unchallenging game is a dull game, witness Exhibit A: RTW. Now if this is a beauty pageant, RTW wins. And RTW does have more game play potential, but too much of it doesn't actually work and the AI is hideously mismatched to the combat engine and phalanx warfare. Combat/movement speeds in RTW are an order of magnitude too fast, RTS style wrist flicking click fests... The combat difficulty levels are actually combat speed levels and therefore mostly useless. VH = Warp 10 fast combat, Easy = normal combat speed.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

For some reason I enjoy MTW more then RTW. I don't really know why, but the battles are more envigorating. It might just be that my computer plays them better.

I don't think either of them really wins as being better, I can think of ways to make both more enjoyable and challenging. General's point of view in RTW for example makes battles soooo hard.

I uninstalled rome after playing it like 4 times,
    Where as MTW and Shogun tw have never been uninstalled.

I Guess that says it all

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

Talking Re: MTW or RTW? Which is better?

love rome, more factions, varied troops, choose battleground, once you mod out all the gay glitches its the best.
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

robotica erotica Member Colovion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of the puppets
    love rome, more factions, varied troops
    MTW has more factions and more varied troops

a description from this site for MTW is thoroughly correct:

12 playable factions and over 100 different unit types each with distinct playing styles
    Whereas in Rome you have Romans, Barbarians, Hellenics and then a couple random ones like the mysterious ancient Egyptians, Carthage and the Eastern kingdoms like Pontus and Parthia. The play style doesn't really change, whereas in MTW the playstyle for each different faction was incredibly different from faction to faction; as well as it would evolve over the course of the game with the three different eras and events like the Mongol invasion in 1206 or so. Rome is basically a 100 yard dash of a game. Lots of glamour and glitz but it's over so quickly and especially with the "barbarian" factions after the first 40 or 50 turns you've already gotten the most advanced troops.

RTW: Jump the Shark.
    robotica erotica

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

I think MTW has the edge. I was entertained throughout the game. RTW is very good at first, but once you get a certain way into the game, there isn't much more to it. RTW has so much potential, but it hasn't been realised. Unless the expansion makes a lot of changes to AI, battles and the strategic gameplay, we'll have to wait for the next game in the TW series to see if the potential can be met. Failing that, I hope some other developer comes up trumps and steals Total War's thunder. Ha!
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

MTW, by the way I suggest only creating one poll on a subject at once.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

All I know is the more I play RTW, the more I want to play MTW. MTW is just such a solid game compared to RTW.
    "We live, we die and death not ends it"

MTW had lot's of events such as emerging/re-emerging of factions , civil wars , invention events which changed gameplay a lot !!!!!
    Also it was cool , that every unit in MTW had loyalty , which affected game much.
    BUT RTW HAVE RATHER GOOD GRAPHICS.
    Actually I hope B.I. will bring a lot of changes.

P.S. I don't know what game is better - to hard to choose.

I think MTW has the edge. I was entertained throughout the game. RTW is very good at first, but once you get a certain way into the game, there isn't much more to it. RTW has so much potential, but it hasn't been realised. Unless the expansion makes a lot of changes to AI, battles and the strategic gameplay, we'll have to wait for the next game in the TW series to see if the potential can be met. Failing that, I hope some other developer comes up trumps and steals Total War's thunder. Ha!
    The expansion is bound to make those changes. Maybe it's just that i don't have MTW:VI, but i think that while a good game, mtw just couldn't draw me into it like rome could.

MTW had lot's of events such as emerging/re-emerging of factions , civil wars , invention events which changed gameplay a lot !!!!!
    Yes, i agree that these would have been great in RTW but you must remember that things were different in RTW's time period. And civil wars are an intergal part of the Roman campaign...but they're not as good/unpredictable.

P.S. I don't know what game is better - to hard to choose.
    There should have been a third option

For me, MTW wins it for overall polish, but it pales compared to rome's innovations. A mixture of the two would be great....here's waiting for BI and praying it fixes some things
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yeah that's the thing. MTW is always fun, RTW is only fun at the beginning, though RTR make up sumthing and EB is going to hit like a bomb. though after playing RTR i couldnt go back to MTW, becuz of the graphics and graphics only

We do not sow.

The load game bug is the deal breaker.

mfberg
    It is not complete until the overwieght female vocalizes.

Pinky : Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
    Brain : The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!

Thumbs down Re: MTW or RTW? Which is better?

Well, I like Rome but lets face it, its too easy.
    MTW and STW were great games because they were challenging.
    In Rome all you need is a horde of Archers who manage to sharpshoot anything in sight or alternatively an entirely cavalry army to level the enemy.

MTW is more varied with its units and has a great deal more depth to it. Look at the variation between the factions and also how each factions varies with each period.

Plus the loss of certain features like factions re-emergence, etc... makes the game lose some of its many amenities.

However...
    Rome does have its good points, the game has soo much more stuff than MTW, the diplomacy, the cities, the movement. the problem is that all the AI can do with all this new stuff is give you heaven and earth for your territory map. I think a more polished RTW would be better.

But...
    I really think the STW sytle movies need to make a comeback!

What I would really love is if the next TW title came not only with a polished version of Rome but also bring back the lost stuff from STW and MTW as well as bringing more of a complex civilian political role in things and more complexities into foreign policy other than "Him neighbour, me kill".

I do not wish to tarnish the reputation of any of the TW titles though which in my opinion are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    "And when your return to your homes, tell your people that you left your general fighting in Boetia" Cornelius Sulla to a wavering line.

"It is easy to dismiss war as a simple bloody affair, nevertheless, none can deny that the greatest genious that man has possesed has always been in the pursuit of the simple, bloody affair", Klausewitz

RTW has its faults but one thing it has that neither MTW nor STW has is Horse Archers. Those immobile units who ride up, park their ponies and fire were always something I hated about the game and not worthy of the name. As for the issues, let's hope that many will be addressed when BI arrives and that is something I am really looking forward to

.........Orda

MTW.

The fact that my win:loss ration in RTW is ~250:3 is ridiculous. All the graphics in the world mean nothing to me if the gameplay is shocking.

The gameplay is shocking.

MTW all the way... I also enjoy Rome for a while then get somewhat bored, graphics are awesome but the gameplay does not compare to the same level as MTW as everyone knows. I enjoy the challenges MTW brings... something Rome will never have.
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast