Thread: Research: Effect of Defence

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Default Research: Effect of Defence

On request of QwertyMIDX, this thread is to put forward research results concerning the effect armor, defence skill and shield have in battle.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Default Re: Research: Effect of Defence

I've been doing a new stat system for EB and I've been working pretty extensivly with the various types of defense (DS, Armor, Shield). While doing so I realized something rather interesting and unexpected; the "ap" attribute does not seem to work on armor gained from shields.

Here are some numbers:

1st case, armor:12 shield:4
    44-75
    33-75
    (Casualties in Unit - Casualties in Unit with AP)

2nd case, armor:0 shield:16
    13-64
    19-87

Note: This test was not conducted using vanilla units, and should doubtless be repeated many times using more conventional units.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

I noticed that shields seem to be too protective against AP. when fighting with chosen axemen vs. pre-marian legionarres. I kept hearing clunk-clunk as the big axes were deflected by the shields. I would think after a while the shields should break from abuse. It ended up the chosens were slaughtered and thankfully my night-raiders came and slaughtered the romans. They weren't even AP.

It looks like the bigger the shield, the lower the causalties regardless of how armored the unit is. But, like you said, it needs more testing.

Spends his time on TWC Member Simetrical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    While doing so I realized something rather interesting and unexpected; the "ap" attribute does not seem to work on armor gained from shields. . . .

2nd case, armor:0 shield:16
    13-64
    19-87
    Wait, that looks like it does work on armor gained from shields. Far higher casualties from the AP, no?

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

I always thought that armour piercing only effected armour (and the effect being that it reduces the targets armour by half), not shield or defensive skill, which is why Chosen Axemen are so effective flanking where neither of these two factors come into play.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Nihilist,
    you're right. Since the skill is named "Armour Piercing", it should be quite obvious that it doesn't affect shield bonuses. That's also why Eastern infantry (whose virtually only protection is their shield) fares far better against Desert Cav than Cataphracts or the like.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    Wait, that looks like it does work on armor gained from shields. Far higher casualties from the AP, no?

-Simetrical

No you're reading it backwards, the unit with AP took far higher casualties (about 50% more) against units will all shield and not armor.

When a unit is fighting an enemy it is facing it's defense has 2 parts DS and Armor+Shield, which the game rolls against seperatly. The odd thing is that it add the Armor+Shield like this when dealing with 1/2(Armor)+Shield rather than 1/2(Armor+Shield). I'm not saying CA didn't mean for it to work like that, but it is not very realistic. A shield is very susceptible to heavy "AP" weapons, a large axe, weilded with 2 hands, would shatter and shield and the arm behind it with realtive ease if it made contact.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Quote Originally Posted by QwertMIDX
    No you're reading it backwards, the unit with AP took far higher casualties (about 50% more) against units will all shield and not armor.
    Oh, the casualty figures are for the number of casualties in the unit with AP, not the number it causes. Now it all makes sense!

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Yeah, sorry I was kind of unclear.

There was a suggestion by Turin that there is an axe attribute.
    I tested having "axe" as stat_pri_attr

Axe attribute vs Iberian inf (rotulari dead-iberians dead)
    19-152
    58-69
    17-154
    No attribute vs Iberian inf (rotulari dead-iberians dead)
    7-55
    34-99
    17-154
    Spear attribute vs Iberian inf (rotulari dead-iberians dead)
    36-81
    140-28
    58-164
    Axe attribute vs Sacred band cavalry (rotulari dead-sacred dead)
    156-50
    151-42
    No attribute vs Sacred band cavalry (rotulari dead-sacred dead)
    134-24
    159-40
    Spear attribute vs Sacred band cavalry (rotulari dead-sacred dead)
    54-102
    40-81

Conclusion:
    There is no axe attribute (other then for sound). I am also surprised at how much difference the spear attribute does.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Has anyone researched what are the battlefield tactical effects? For example, how much does a unit lose in terms of defense rating if it s flanked or attacked in the rear? Is there such a loss at all in RTW? Similarly for attack/defense bonuses/penalties given height difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Narayanese
    I am also surprised at how much difference the spear attribute does.
    It should be +4 attack vs. cav, -4 vs. inf, according to JeromeGrasdyke. Someone could test that too if they wanted.

-Simetrical
    TWC Administrator

MediaWiki Developer

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    When a unit is fighting an enemy it is facing it's defense has 2 parts DS and Armor+Shield, which the game rolls against seperatly. The odd thing is that it add the Armor+Shield like this when dealing with 1/2(Armor)+Shield rather than 1/2(Armor+Shield). I'm not saying CA didn't mean for it to work like that, but it is not very realistic. A shield is very susceptible to heavy "AP" weapons, a large axe, weilded with 2 hands, would shatter and shield and the arm behind it with realtive ease if it made contact.
    Funny, I'd always implicitly assumed that it worked the way it does. I guess I was thinking of AP weapons like medieval ones - either blunt ones or ones designed to pierce gaps in plate. Realistically, I would have thought a shield would be effective fairly against them. Even a hand-axe does not seem very useful against a legionnaire's shield. (The whole "axes shatter shields" mechanic in Mount and Blade does seem plausible to me.)

If you are talking about a great axe, great sword or falx, then I can see your point. But even then, I guess it depends on the force of the blow and where it hits the shield. I can see the shield bearer's arm getting damaged by the force (even if the sheild does not shatter) but I can also see the great weapon getting stuck in the shield - giving the legionnaire a chance to fight his enemy disarmed. Personally, in such a contest, I'd rather have the shield than a legionnaire's armour but this is all arm chair stuff from my part.

2 years later, here's a couple pictures on that topic

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Ah, good, proof at last that the Romans did have cameras... :)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

and those legions know how to use it.....
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Research: Effect of Defence

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

just kidding!

back to topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    It should be +4 attack vs. cav, -4 vs. inf, according to JeromeGrasdyke. Someone could test that too if they wanted.

-Simetrical
    the eastern infantry got 3 attack only how it counts if it's spear -4 vs infantry?
    except you are talking about phalanxe unit?
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

The penalty (which is 8 if you're talking about spear and light_spear units) is not applied directly to the attack of a unit. You can think of it as a bonus to the other unit, rather than a penalty to the spearmen.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

I see it is an old post, but for those reading, I have observed a direct distinction if a unit is attacked from the rear. I have not actually researched it, just paying attention to the battle situation. Attacking armoured units from the rear, in my case attacking Armoured Hoplites with Rhodian Slingers, decimated them. From the front, I have hit Legionary Cohort with slingers, and not killed a single one with the slingers using all their ammo on that one unit. Watch on a wall: I like to have two units opposite a siege tower. When the enemy get off, my men throw their missiles (if they have them). I then engage. Usually one of my units will run up to attack, and the enemy will move to target one or the other unit anyway. The other unit of mine will come up slowly. All the enemy will be facing the unit they are currently engaged with, and there will be the clunk-clunk, back and forth between individual units. When the second unit of mine reaches the enemy, they will start to attack units who have their backs to them. Usually one hit takes the individual soldiers down, eventually the soldiers who are not in direct contact with my first unit will turn around, and then the fighting goes to standard, each unit gets hit several times before it dies. Don't know if the side has the same penalty, seems to have some penalty at least. I have seen the height difference covered, don't remember what post it was.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

This tutorial covers just about everything to do with defence, armour, shield, etc...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...lete-EDU-Guide
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

High Plains Drifter