Thread: Is there a way to trigger events?

Default Is there a way to trigger events?

Is there a cheatcode or a way to invoke events when typed?

I am of course thinking of the Marius event.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: Is there a way to trigger events?

hmmmm, i don't know, but are you thinking about the new units or bodyguard upgrades

We do not sow.

The new units.

I'm playing as the Scipii, its 213BC and I finished the civil war 30 years earlier, I've been waiting all this bloody time confining myself just to Italy for 220BC to show up and now it seems I have to wait longer until the bloody Marius event triggers. I want to conquer with the legionary units not the Republican ones.

As it is many of the worlds cities (especially the Egyotian ones) are now huge sized and so I won't be able to change their cultures but I don't care I just want to fight the upcoming wars using Marius units.

Damn it.

The Marius Event finally triggered... in 202BC for goodness sake, Egypt has wiped out Parthia and has Pontus on the ropes. God I hate Egypt.

So stuff that game I'll try another, so I have another question, which folder do I have to edit to make the Marius event trigger early independently?

Theres a notepad file called 'descr_events' in the imperial campaign folder and I tried editing that and as a test I set the Marius event there to go off in winter of 'date 1' but it didn't fire.

Is that because there isn't an imperial palace?, for instance if there was an imperial palace in Italy in 270BC and I set the Marius event file that I spoke of to go off then it would have done so?

Or is there something else I'm missing?

My apologies if this has turned into more of a mod question, feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere. I'd certainly appreciate some help with this because as it is it makes the Roman factions boring to play.

Just another genius Member aw89's Avatar

it can trigger after 220 bc, if you want them straight from the go, you need to mod some files (not descr_events, the 220 thing is hardcoded)

Dude I think you only need to build the imperial_palace after it finish the marius reform will triger :)
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

IIRC, the 1.2 patch includes a time frame for the reforms in addition to palace prerequisite.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

actually. There is a place you can trigger it, or so it seems. I go to /data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_events. I believe, for example, you will see something like 'Plague in Thessalonica 14 winter', which means year 14, winter, which corresponds to turn 28. So just change the one that says 'Gaius Marius: A New Man' and see if it works. Try changing it to turn 2 and mode one of your cities to huge city with imperial palace to see if it works before changing it to your desired date. If it works, hooray. If it doesn't, it's just another unimplemented CA initiative.

But a word on it working: I succeeded in delaying the Thessalonica plague (an issue close to my heart since I was playing Macedon) as long as I wanted it, but the catch is you probably'll have to restart the campaign.
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 05-24-2005 at 04:40.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Don't mess with the Beef, FOOL Member Beefy's Avatar

I had to wait till 191BC for goodness sake! i saved sacking rome, till i could do it with Urbans!
    The Vandal Horde RTW Clan looking for new members!

Quote Originally Posted by Es Arkajae
    The new units.

I'm playing as the Scipii, its 213BC and I finished the civil war 30 years earlier, I've been waiting all this bloody time confining myself just to Italy for 220BC to show up and now it seems I have to wait longer until the bloody Marius event triggers. I want to conquer with the legionary units not the Republican ones.

As it is many of the worlds cities (especially the Egyotian ones) are now huge sized and so I won't be able to change their cultures but I don't care I just want to fight the upcoming wars using Marius units.
    pss (i read also your next posts) i had to wait till 170 bc. but if you want you can start with legionares right away and build them along or without the republic units

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    actually. There is a place you can trigger it, or so it seems. I go to /data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_events. I believe, for example, you will see something like 'Plague in Thessalonica 14 winter', which means year 14, winter, which corresponds to turn 28. So just change the one that says 'Gaius Marius: A New Man' and see if it works. Try changing it to turn 2 and mode one of your cities to huge city with imperial palace to see if it works before changing it to your desired date. If it works, hooray. If it doesn't, it's just another unimplemented CA initiative.

But a word on it working: I succeeded in delaying the Thessalonica plague (an issue close to my heart since I was playing Macedon) as long as I wanted it, but the catch is you probably'll have to restart the campaign.
    with the patch you need to wait till atleast 220, and have a IP in italy i thought, and there is a random trigger. without patch 1.2 you just have to build a imperial palace

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

An easy way to start with the pre-marius units is to mod your starting armies to however you want them. Thats what i do. I mod the faction i'm going to play blitz all my surround neighbours, so then i have secure borders where i can sit back for a few years, let my cities grow so i can build more good armies and let Rome expand, and then once everything is done, i start expanding again and have a big war with Rome. I did that with the Seleucids, and it was damn fun. I conquered all of North Africa, Mesopotamia and Asia Minor within about 40 years, and killed off the Parthians, Pontus and Egypt within that time. Now i'm just sitting around, teching up my cities and letting Rome grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

you can also, delete the "and marian_reforms" in export_descr_biuldings.txt and than you can built them

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Deleting files like Marian Reforms = Big no no!! You should never delete game files, unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are doing, or have backups and know how to implement them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

It's not a file being deleted. It's the line that serves as a condition for building stuff.

BTW, it's not the 220 BC that's the magical number but the 50 years into the game. What you need is to start at 320 BC and then have a custom script that disables the AI, runs the game for 50 years, and then reanbles the AI.

yeah, I delayed the plague in 1.1, now I tried to edit the events file after patching and it doesn't work anymore, even though I have an imperial palace that can build praetorians. Oh well. Patience, my young padawan, as Qui-Gon Jinn used to say. I was lucky, in my Julii campaign I got the Marian reforms pretty early, about 220, i think, after patching. Really lucky. Before that it was my habit to build IP in Byzantium :-) Maybe we could edit it such that firstly, legionnaires do not require marian reforms, secondly, that they are buildable from the Governor's Palace stage? Something like, Barracks build Town Guard and Hastati, Militia Barracks buiild Principes and Auxilia, Legion Barracks build Early Legionnaires and Triarii, Army Barracks build Legionnaires, and Urban Barracks build you know what. That way you get the best of both worlds, with you getting access to the spear troops as well, especially since people always grumble that they don't have enough time to build triarii before the reforms kick in removing that option.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I hate the new time trigger for Marian reforms so I now just have two descr_buildings files. The normal original/backup and another where I just deleted all the pre-marius troops and took away the marius reforms requirement for the rest. So now whenever I get my first imperial palace I save the game and switch files so I get my marius reforms like how it used to be before patch 1.2

Otto - They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing...Oh there they go
    Cool Site

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

On the fly moding?
    I must say it's original.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Works well enough though... and all it takes is three minutes of your time, give or take depending on how fast your game loads.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Works well enough though... and all it takes is three minutes of your time, give or take depending on how fast your game loads.
    Does that work though?

That is just swapping the descr_strat files before reloading the game?, I was under the impression that the original strat parameters were saved along with the game.

I asked the question (of this thread) in the modding forum and got a good deal of welcome help, unfortunately I still couldn't get all the scripting stuff to work. also for some strange reason my posts were getting cut short by the forum

Anyway I'm thinking of just modding it so that I always have access to Marius units, a better way of avoiding this crap I think.
    Last edited by Es Arkajae; 05-26-2005 at 04:43.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

I think he is swapping buildings parameters, so they at one point produce after marius units only.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

About the legionary and urban, another way to get them I think is to mod your export_descr_buildings.

For example: Just copy the

"recruit "roman legionary cohort ii" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms"

and simply paste the line into all the governor and imperial palace like this

"recruit "roman legionary cohort ii" 0 requires factions { roman, }" if you are greedy like me then just change the {roman,} to {romans julii}
    Lord of Lucius
    No Matter what Pathes You Take All Lead To Death!

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    I think he is swapping buildings parameters, so they at one point produce after marius units only.
    Well those are outside the campaign file so it seems more possible, I'll have to give it a try, thanks for the clarification.

yeah arkajae, he was talking about export_descr_buildings. You're right in saying descr_strat parameters remain. If you changed descr_strat you'd have to restart the campaign to see the changes.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004