Thread: STW is just BETTER

Default STW is just BETTER

Well Ive played all three now, and I just keep coming back to STWWE.

I cant put my finger on it, the graphics are dated, the interface in many ways is tedious, but I can play it for hours on end.

RTW looks better, MTW has more stuff, but STW is just more fun. I really feel like I am there, the suspension of reality is STILL alive when I play that game.Maybe because CA went over board with the complexity of MTW/RTW.

I wish CA would give STW a face lift, and just a few improvements.

RTW ill keep fooling around with.

BUT STWWE is just better, IMO

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: STW is just BETTER

Totally right, STW is the best!

Nice to see you around, never seen you before, I thought.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I think the Japanese concept of "Shibumi" describes well the reason why STW stands out to many over MTW and (I assume, as I haven't played it) RTW.

Now that I've played a bit of MTW-VI MP, one thing that I like about it over STW is that Light Cavalry (which would equate to Yari Cavalry in STW) are not as "sticky" in MTW-VI, allowing for more effective "hit and run" tactics--a primary function of this type of cav, imo. Yari Cav have the speed over other cavalry types in STW, but once they engage, it's very difficult to disengage them. You can do it, but you have to do it very quickly after they impact, and their kills for that charge aren't usually very high. Alans, Steppe, and even Mounted Sergeants and Hobilars in MTW-VI can work wonders using "hit and run" tactics, particularly in MP, if used carefully and timed correctly.

Hands down though, my favorite of the series is STW and I don't see that changing any time soon.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

I really have not been around the forums too much. I have been playing the TW series on and off, never MP though. A bit intimidated there. Perhaps I should try

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jgp
    I really have not been around the forums too much. I have been playing the TW series on and off, never MP though. A bit intimidated there. Perhaps I should try
    You really should try MP, its quite fun

Back on Topic, while each game has its strong points, Shogun will always be my favorite.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

I dont even know where to start. Is everyone playing RTW, MTW or STW?

There are only a handful still playing STW-MI MP, and they play on the fakeservers, as the official server was shut down last year. For information on how to get going, read the Shogun MP thread stickied at the top of this forum. I still play MP and have a few friends who do too, so if you're interested in meeting up some time, send me a PM. For Shogun you'll need STW Mongol Invasions (MI), also known as STW WE (Warlord Edition). You'll want to download and install the 1.02 beta patch from www.totalwar.com.

There are many more people playing MTW 1.1 and MTW VI 2.01 than STW. The official Gamespy server is still running for both of these. I play VI, and it's fun, though quite different from Shogun MP.

I can't run RTW on this PC. I would hazard to guess that RTW has the most MP players of the three right now--it's the most recently released. I've read a lot of complaints about it from many who've been playing since the early days of Shogun, but a lot of the new players who haven't played STW or MTW MP much seem to like it.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Great, Ill read up on it . I have everything that I need loaded. ILL pm you in a day or so and perhaps we can hook up.

Thanx for the info.

Ok, sounds good. I'm in the PST time zone, and have a fairly flexible schedule. Your timing is good as there has been a recent mini-revival in STW-MI MP over the last month or so. It may be that we will be joined by some other players. Multiplayer battles are a lot of fun (2v2--two allied armies/two generals vs. two armies/two generals is my personal fave).

One nice thing is, though few, the diehard STW MP players are very friendly. The same can't be said about a large number of MTW and, from what I hear, RTW MP players. Friendly players make a huge difference in the quality of the overall experience.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

OUTSTANDING, IM EASTERN, but am very flexible also. Usually up to 0100-0200. So that should help. Its good to hear that the guys that are playing are pretty nice. Does that mean they wont, kill my general and rout my armies;)? Have a few errands to run today and will start reading up this evening. If I dont get too many interuptions perhaaps tonight or tomorrow night.

I was looking for a way to PM you and could not find where to do it. I know it is staring me in the face but I just do not see it.

Could you plese point it out to me?

THANX

I certainly won't rout your armies or kill your general ... but my armies and generals might--they are mean and nasty! unlike me ... .

There are several ways to access the PM facility: The easiest way to send me a message is to click on my name to view my Profile, then click on the link that says something like "send this dude a message." There isn't a wrapped fish option, but you can type out what you want.

Another way to access your PM stuff is the link in the upper right of the screen that says: Private Messages:, underneath Welcome, jgp. There is also a link to PMs under the QUICK LINKS drop down list on the blue menu bar that runs across the top of the page, and you can access it from your USER CP as well.

I'll keep an eye out for PMs over the next couple of days in the evening (you can call me Masamune, but I ain't no Date ).
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Haven't been here in a while (a very, very long while), but yes, STW is still the best in my opinion. Sure, RTW's got the eyecandy, but it has never captivated me as much as STW.

Edit: Hey! What happened to my kick ass Shogun avatar?! I have a feeling the forums have been changed completely in the last couple years, right? I mean, when I tried to log on a few minutes ago, my password had been changed.
    Last edited by Irving; 06-05-2005 at 04:19. Reason: My avatar
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

click on the persons name,
    and in the new window find,Send message to user by pm

and if u need any help getting on the server try this.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...752#post801752

remember to scroll to the top of the page :)

ShambleS
    Last edited by Shambles; 06-05-2005 at 04:32.

Tosa might be able to restore your old account if you PM him and ask nicely. He's been able to for several other returning members. Also, you can select from a variety of Shogun avatars; the facility is in your USER CP (use the UPSER CP drop down list on the left side of the menu bar, at the top of the forum pages).
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

STW settings still are the best.
    Best map textures. Best weather conditions.
    However it can not match RTW in many other ways, static HA units for one

......Orda

TOGAKURIOJONIN, I pm'd you last evening, tonight would be good also if you want to try and hook up. Ill check posts today and will send you my email.
    jgp

double post . . .
    Last edited by Drisos; 06-29-2005 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    STW settings still are the best.
    Entirely correct!

Don't forget the better community in STW. It is smaller but just nicer.

P.S.: jpg, PM me for some battles if you wish to.