Thread: Lions v Pumas Disgrace

Default Lions v Pumas Disgrace

Would someone please explain where 8 minutes of added time comes from in a second half that was practically injury free? We already had 5 minutes in the first half!!!! What an utter disgrace!! I guess Argentina were not supposed to win this game and rain on 'Sir' Clive's parade

....Orda

The Orgs Prophet of RATM Member IrishMike's Avatar
    Somewhere in the defensive area of a soccer field, slaughtering puny strikers.

Default Re: Lions v Pumas Disgrace

Well, I didn't see the game, so I can't commment. But as being a soccer player myself, 8 minutes is just outragious. The most I have ever played in is 5 and that was about to kill me, as I am a defender and we had the lead. But 8 is just unfair.
    When ignorance reigns life is lost.

War is norm, Fight the War, Screw the norm!

These titles are too shor Member TonkaToys's Avatar

I listened to bits of this on the radio... but didn't hear the 8 minutes of extra time! What a joke.
    All credit to the Argies, who were fielding an understrength team (French league is still playing) but still managed to whip the Lions.
    Like you say, perhaps they didn't want Sir Clive to start with a loss!
    What was the rest of the game like? You can't get the subtleties from radio reporting.

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

I think the ref just decided that it was impossible to comprehend the idea of the Lions being beaten by Argentina and he simply refused to accept it could be true. In the end he had to go for a draw.

Or is it that Golden Johny had to have the last say again..
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

I watched the game last night and have to say that Argentina deserved to win. The Lions were awful, dropped ball, turnovers and no continuity.

However, I think the reason for the extended 'injury time' was that the ref cannot blow up for full time while the ball is in play. Providing you keep the ball and do not make mistakes, the game could in theory continue for a long time. The game also cannot be stopped if a penalty is awarded and the Lions had astring of these in the dying minutes for Argentinian off-side.

Regardless, a draw was not the right result and a second-string Argentinian side should have won.

Kiwis must be looking forward to this tour . . .
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information - Calvin -

Yes that is correct, 'time up' is not whistled in the way it is in football and the ball has to go dead, as in break down of play requiring referee decision ( penalty award not included ) cleared out of play etc. The game did not continue unbroken for this amount of time, which is the reason I was so disgusted.
    An analysis of the game would have to say the Lions were not good enough and Woodwards choices have to be blamed. He obviously needs to get to know his players because at the moment he does not. D'Arcy playing without O'Driscoll as a centre partner looked woefully inept and Wilkinson twice overuling his Captain, Owen's decisions was offensive and arrogant. He is not match fit and IMO wanted to kick as many points as possible in a bid to impress. Sorry Jonny you didn't !!

.......Orda

These titles are too shor Member TonkaToys's Avatar

I heard that Sir.C instructed Jonny to punt down the middle of the field and not to go for touch? Any ideas why they would employ these tactics? Did they think they could outrun the Argies?