Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone interested in Crusader States mod?

Default Re: Anyone interested in Crusader States mod?

CountMRVHS: I've looked through those maps and they're pretty much one's we've seens already, or links to the same maps. My principal sources for cities i listed are found Steven Runciman's three vol: A History of the Crusades, and there I used Vols II and III. For the cities in Persia I used an old map of Ottoman Empire in the 16 & 17th centuries.

When you have a mock up of map done let us have a look before you send it to Fader_it. I hope you noticed that I had slightly more than 50 cities as you had listed some of these in your list. Otherwise, as I think most of the action will be in the Levant I think the greater proportion of the cities should be there.

I currently am reading Runciman's series, great set of books I must say

Hey friends, are you still there? Are you away from home, on vacation?
    It's really passed a while from you last postings.. obviously, i'm still waiting for my map to work on.
    Say something!!
    F.

I'm waiting to here back from CountMRVHS re the maps also. I'm not sure whats happened. Lets give him another week.

I sincerely hope there is a way to resurrect the idea behind this mod.

A "Crusades only" mod would be great to play.

I noticed in the past few months there has been a resurgence in interest in the history of the Crusades, especially after Scott's Kingdom of Heaven movie.

Just recently, on a trip to my local library, I found most of the books on the Crusades are out on loan.

In addition, more documentaries about the Crusades are about to be released on dvd.

Is there still interest in a mod of this type?

Perhaps it could be a bit less ambitious in terms of map detail, etc, and presented a bit more abstractly (ie land divided into provinces that aren't necessarily historical in area size).

What do you think?

Hi there!
    I'm not interested to work on this mod anymore, as i have moved on toward other projects. MTW modding isn't taking my time much as it did in the past.
    Good luck for the work on this mod!

F.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

It's dead anyways.....
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Maybe I need a life or whatever for bumping this old thread, but what have you all done so far? Has anyone got the LUKUPMAP.LBM done? Do you mind sharing what you got so far here? I don't know, maybe some charismatic guy might be able to make something out of it or even considering to pick up. Well, that guy ain't me. I'm just a poor peasant who only knows about having fun with cows and pigs in the pasture.

This project reminds me of Barbarossa's army during the Third Crusade. They had potential to take Jerusalem back but then the Emperor died and the army shrunk.

Also, MII:TW is 11 months away.
    Last edited by Weebeast; 01-29-2006 at 05:43.

Hello,

Am interestered if any of the previous participants in this old thread would still have any of the old materials for this mod. Am interested primarily in the maps and supporting info, i.e. faction lists, mapping details, etc.

Thanks,
    Aspiring Cartographer

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixx
    Hello,

Am interestered if any of the previous participants in this old thread would still have any of the old materials for this mod. Am interested primarily in the maps and supporting info, i.e. faction lists, mapping details, etc.

Thanks,
    Aspiring Cartographer
    You revived an old thread that I had no idea existed... and I love you for it!
    Backdrop (skip if you have no interest in this): I have always been interested in this time period and always wondered if it could be turned into a mod. I've worked on some of the basic stuff for a mod like this for a little while now (about 6-8 months, on & off) and have created a monster unit list (hitting the max. unit limit of 256) and building tree. I'd even came up with some cool features that is possible to add to the game (although a bit of a work out, sure). Like blank provinces that have no income and you can't build anything on them to represent deserts (so you can't cross the Sahara in a single turn). I had worked out a way to represent Kerak and Krak des Chevaliers so you could produce Templar knights and Hospitallers. I had even developed heroes represented in game as full units not just a character with a portrait (This was done to represent how Richard the I would've been a better fighter than the Leper King of Jerusalem).

Ok.. anyway: I still have pretty much all of this and more but I don't have a camp-map worked out (terrible at map-making). I've found some great maps at Hip-Kiss (bookmark it if you have to) and around the web but they didn't show the area that I wanted. After endless hours of googling the words "Holy Land" I'd found a map that showed the places that I wanted it to show. Thing is that it was a touch small and you know how big the maptex is on MTW. Anyway long story short, I found a little gem that resized the map perfectly and with minimal loss to the detail. It's called ReShade and is a little beauty.

Ok, suppose you want the maps now? I've been talking gibberish for the last two paragraphs. In this package (you'll need winRAR to uncompress it) I've put together four different maps that I've taken off the web, one has been cropped and resized using ReShade to a much higher resolution though I'd suggest that you resize one of your own (yes this whole post was just to tell you about reshade... <_<). Linkage:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/10579538...tures.rar.html

Wait, that is what you wanted, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Raz,

Good to hear from you, I owe you AT LEAST 22 mins. :)

Am d/Ling as I post. Have read this thread, as well as RTW The Crusades mod threads and some of M2TW Broken Crusades. I like your ideas for the finer details for a MTW version. So is this why you've been spending so much time in the Alchemist Lab??? :)
    Where to begin?! I needed a project topic for my first start to finish map. The sample in LMM4 was Holyland, so guess what? Anyway, I am only interested in the map for now, due to my inexperience (though I'm learning fast). But who knows.
    Some of the former posters are still around. CountMRVHS is doing The Dark Age Mod (The Britannia one). Pericles - last MTW post I saw was in Fall of Rome (although he's active in other TW product forums). Edyz doing a mini-mod. Don't know where Fader It and Minister of Fear are.
    Don't want to step on any toes here, but would love to do the map!
    What do you think?
    Will post more after I D/L the maps. Thanks again.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixx
    ...So is this why you've been spending so much time in the Alchemist Lab??? :)
    Heh, no. I don't think I'm ready to announce a mod as big as that. I thought I was ready to take on a mod about the Three Kingdoms period in China. The original thread is on the second page of this forum... but I think I just put up too many features and I didn't think that the mod would come out the way the public wanted it and the way I wanted it to be released as. I didn't want people saying "You promised this and that but you failed to deliver..."
    It's where I got this badge from *points underneath his avatar* but I don't think I really deserve it. I mean sure I want to keep it and all.....

I've been thinking of doing a small mod for another mod (if that makes sense). Like a revival of a larger mod made by somebody else, but that's about all. Enough about me though... I think it'd be a great idea if you did this map and who knows, you might end up reviving this old dusty thread and releasing this long forgotten mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Raz,
    Thanx for the D/L. I found the French maps most interesting. Different sounding names for familiar places...
    Glad to hear you're doing a mod on a mod. Best Wishes to you in your endeavor. Many successful mods have been done based on other mods and each brings a new prespective and scope. Just proves that the ole MTW engine still has room to grow (or SHRINK :) ), even if most of the timeline is gone. I hope... Would be interested in your mod, when you're ready to announce. I won't pry, though.
    If and when you have time (i.e. please focus on your current project), would like to hear about your ideas about scope and factions re: Crusades era, as you have obviously spent some time on this...
    Pending reply from others, I'll commit to work with what I've got. Have got three different periods and three different scopes in mind, but thats just the maps...

I always hoped someone would do a crusader mod. Maybe hope is not dead I played the crusader mod on Rome a few times - even modded it further so more factions were in - but there is nothing quite like MTW1 for playability and period atmosphere.

Problem with factions was always that you don't want the crusader states fighting each other. Having them as one faction is kind of realistic - Jerusalem sent contingents to Tripoli and Antioch when they needed, and vice versa (at least up to Hattin). Lesser Armenia is another faction throughout; also Byzantium; then Damascus, Aleppo, Seljuks and Egypt. Then you have crusaders, who might just be labelled as such - so if they manage to become established in the Holy Land they are then the equivalent of the religious orders (so perhaps Templars et al should only be available to them, so you never get Templers fighting Templars, unless someone manages to seduce them away (Baphomet?). Assassins might be a tiny faction - with an obvious bonus available.

Problem I never overcame with the Rome Mod was that it was too easy for the crusader states to grow. They certainly tried in reality - projects to conquer Damascus and Egypt were serious - but it needs to be really hard, and a fight for survival most of the time, with occasional windows of opportunity when crusades arrive.

Those are my thoughts - really just to show there is wider interest in this, and a hope that we might still get some new Mods up and running, as Macsen is proving on ATW

Western,
    Thanks for chiming in! Appreciate your comments! I don't know if I'm the man for the job (in deference to those who've already tread this path), but I'm certainly continuing work on the maps.
    My first obstacle is in deciding upon scope, and then factions, which in turn decides scope. Here are my thoughts:
    1) Large map - Upper right corner would be about Paris, France. Lower right, as in default map. Except for English, which would be inset or abstracted, all 8classic historical crusades represented.
    2) Medium map - URC would be Geneva/Milan/Genoa, with corresponding abstractrations/insets.
    3) Small map...etc...
    4) Mixed map - 1) Above with Crusader States inset map.
    Whaddya think?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345